News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: sparker on November 28, 2017, 12:59:27 AM
Quote from: Bruce on November 27, 2017, 10:04:49 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2017, 07:50:08 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 27, 2017, 07:41:05 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 22, 2017, 06:19:04 PM
I've heard the term "Silicon Forest" for the Portland suburbs occasionally, but not nearly as often as "Silicon Valley" or "Silicon Gulch".  I've never heard any "Silicon" nickname for the Redmond area tech companies.

I've never heard of "Silicon Gulch", but I've heard Beaverton-Hillsboro referred to as "Silicon Forest" plenty over the past couple decades.

Does anyone know who exactly uses the term "Silicon Forest"? I've never heard the term mentioned up here in Washington, and in general, monikers are not used by locals (although maybe that's the case here).

It's been adopted by The Oregonian, the state encyclopedia, and national outlets for decades (1985 example from Washington Post). I think it's a pretty valid nickname. Much like "Emerald City" and "Jet City", it's been boosted locally but harder for non-residents to identify.

It's interesting that any reference to the "Silicon Forest" would be primarily applied to Beaverton-Hillsboro; when I was residing up there (disclosure: 20+ years ago) most of the "tech" companies were situated farther south in the industrial parks in Tualatin; even the "godfather" of the Portland tech scene, Tectronix, had relocated their HQ and main production facility from Beaverton to Wilsonville, right at the north end of the I-5 Willamette River bridge.  From what I remember, Phil Knight's Nike facility was the major commercial "campus" in Beaverton, while the industrial area along OR 8 seemed at the time to host a variegated group of enterprises without any particular emphasis.  It'd be interesting to obtain a list of prominent tech companies with facilities in the area -- whether "homegrown" or branches of firms headquartered elsewhere.

Look no further than Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Forest#Companies_and_subsidiaries

sparker

Quote from: Bruce on November 28, 2017, 01:18:13 AM
Quote from: sparker on November 28, 2017, 12:59:27 AM
Quote from: Bruce on November 27, 2017, 10:04:49 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2017, 07:50:08 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 27, 2017, 07:41:05 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 22, 2017, 06:19:04 PM
I've heard the term "Silicon Forest" for the Portland suburbs occasionally, but not nearly as often as "Silicon Valley" or "Silicon Gulch".  I've never heard any "Silicon" nickname for the Redmond area tech companies.

I've never heard of "Silicon Gulch", but I've heard Beaverton-Hillsboro referred to as "Silicon Forest" plenty over the past couple decades.

Does anyone know who exactly uses the term "Silicon Forest"? I've never heard the term mentioned up here in Washington, and in general, monikers are not used by locals (although maybe that's the case here).

It's been adopted by The Oregonian, the state encyclopedia, and national outlets for decades (1985 example from Washington Post). I think it's a pretty valid nickname. Much like "Emerald City" and "Jet City", it's been boosted locally but harder for non-residents to identify.

It's interesting that any reference to the "Silicon Forest" would be primarily applied to Beaverton-Hillsboro; when I was residing up there (disclosure: 20+ years ago) most of the "tech" companies were situated farther south in the industrial parks in Tualatin; even the "godfather" of the Portland tech scene, Tectronix, had relocated their HQ and main production facility from Beaverton to Wilsonville, right at the north end of the I-5 Willamette River bridge.  From what I remember, Phil Knight's Nike facility was the major commercial "campus" in Beaverton, while the industrial area along OR 8 seemed at the time to host a variegated group of enterprises without any particular emphasis.  It'd be interesting to obtain a list of prominent tech companies with facilities in the area -- whether "homegrown" or branches of firms headquartered elsewhere.

Look no further than Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Forest#Companies_and_subsidiaries

Cool!  Thanks for supplying the list.  Looks like most of the firms cited are engaged in software development; this is certainly a change from the mid-90's, when i was up there -- and hardware, primarily in the area of desktop computing, was dominating the tech scene up there (HP, which was then assembling computer "towers" and printers down in Corvallis, had several sub-assembly facilities in Tualatin and Lake Oswego).  Glad to see the area has a nice concentration of educational software;  it's mostly B-to-B applications here in the original "Silicon Valley". 

jakeroot

The 405-167 express-lanes flyover is well on its way. WSDOT recently posted a few pictures on their Flickr page...

Piers for the overpass:

Widened I-405, bridge going over Talbot Road:

kkt

Quote from: jakeroot on November 30, 2017, 08:34:51 PM
The 405-167 express-lanes flyover is well on its way.

Yay! :clap:

Thanks for the pics.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on November 30, 2017, 09:51:05 PM

Indeed. That movement is a disaster 24/7 (literally, I've driven it at 1 am, and traffic was slowing). Once this is complete, it will be a massive improvement. My only hope is that solo traffic destined for and/or using the 167 toll lane is allowed to use the flyover. Sounds logical, but the 405 will still only have HOV lanes until the express lanes are extended south, so I fear the flyover will be HOV only, and solo drivers using the toll lane will have to use the GP ramps. Once the 405 express lanes are extended south (to open in 2024), the flyover will definitely accommodate solo drivers who are paying the toll, but until then, I'm not holding my breath.

kendancy66

Quote from: 8.Lug on June 10, 2016, 05:51:13 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 10, 2016, 03:57:20 PM
When were you here?
19th-28th of last month. Have a friend in Rochester, WA which was named for Rochester, MI which was named for Rochester, NY our home town lol
Which one of your friend named rochester minnesota?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

jakeroot

I was looking at the 405 Bellevue to Renton project library on WSDOT's website, where they published the project's "Finding of No Significant Impact" (approved in 2008). I have no idea how accurate this FONSI is, given that it was published nine years ago, but it covers several of the plans for the freeway (at least as of 2008). It appears to be slightly out of date, as there's no mention of toll lanes, and it only shows one HOV lane throughout the widening (and I know WSDOT plans two express lanes from Bellevue to Renton). Nonetheless, some of the things I found...

- An HOV flyover is planned from SB 405 to EB 169
- The loop ramps will be eliminated from the Hwy 169, Hwy 900, and NE 44 St interchanges
- The Hwy 169 interchange will be converted to a diamond, with frontage roads between Hwy 169 and NE 4 St.
- The Hwy 900 interchange will be converted to full diamond
- The NE 44 St interchange will be converted to full diamond
- Sunset Blvd will be realigned and connected to NE 4 St
- The Houser Way tunnel would be eliminated
- An HOV direct access ramp would be built at NE 8 St (connecting road goes under SB 405)
- Lake Washington Blvd (near NE 44 St) will be realigned to the east
- At Lake Washington Blvd, a BRT station is planned
- VERY IMPORTANTLY, braided ramps between Coal Creek Parkway and I-90

Now, here's the catch. WSDOT is constantly changing their website, and links that I've previously read are nowhere to be found. I have seen another EIS-type document that shows the 405 widening with 2 express lanes, and extending all the way to the 167 (rather than just to Hwy 900), but I can't find it anywhere. I think I'll need to consult the Wayback Machine.

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on November 30, 2017, 11:32:09 PM

Indeed. That movement is a disaster 24/7 (literally, I've driven it at 1 am, and traffic was slowing). Once this is complete, it will be a massive improvement. My only hope is that solo traffic destined for and/or using the 167 toll lane is allowed to use the flyover. Sounds logical, but the 405 will still only have HOV lanes until the express lanes are extended south, so I fear the flyover will be HOV only, and solo drivers using the toll lane will have to use the GP ramps. Once the 405 express lanes are extended south (to open in 2024), the flyover will definitely accommodate solo drivers who are paying the toll, but until then, I'm not holding my breath.

I hope so too.  It makes perfect sense to allow SOV express lane users to use the flyovers, even if don't meet HOV requirements.  But there is a lot of precedent for stupidity out there.

Case in point, I-395 in Virginia.  The central lanes are currently a reversible 2 lane roadway open to HOV only during rush hours.  The direct exits from the central lanes to local streets are also restricted to HOV.  They are currently working on a widening project to convert the central lanes to a 3 lane reversible roadway.  This roadway will be free to HOVs (3 or more occupants) with EZ-Pass Flex, open to SOVs (and cars with 2 occupants) who will pay a toll with EZ-Pass, and closed to all who do not have a transponder.  The requirement for transponder/paying of toll will now be at all hours, not just rush hours.  All of the entrances/exits will match this arrangement, allowing anyone who is allowed to be on the express lanes to be on the exit/entrance ramps, except for Seminary Road which will still be restricted to HOVs only.  The reason for this is that the Seminary Rd exit/entrance ramps are relatively recent and were paid with federal funds that were allocated to be used for HOV purposes.

See:  https://www.395expresslanes.com/about

Quote395 Express Lanes Project

Extending the 95 Express Lanes for eight miles north to the D.C. line, the 395 Express Lanes will reduce congestion in the I-395 corridor, increase capacity by adding an additional HOV lane to create three reversible lanes on I-395 and extend the benefits and travel options of the 95 Express Lanes farther north.

The 395 Express Lanes will operate just like the 95 Express Lanes in Northern Virginia. Carpoolers and sluggers with three or more people in the vehicle will continue to travel for free with an E-ZPass® FlexSM set to HOV mode. Those willing to pay a toll will be able to access the Lanes 24/7 with an E-ZPass®.

The existing HOV entry and exit points on the current I-395 HOV lanes will become accessible for toll paying customers. However, the Seminary Road ramp delivered in 2016 will remain HOV only. Improvements will be made to Eads Street interchange to provide direct access to the Pentagon and Crystal City.

jakeroot

From my experience, weaving between HOV lanes and the exit ramps contribute a lot to both congestion and collisions. You'd think a DOT would do everything in their power to reduce unnecessary lane changes.

Bruce

The state is exploring a toll for the US 2 trestle (between Everett and Lake Stevens/Snohomish), with peak rates of $6.30, to fund a replacement bridge. People were not pleased.

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/heavy-traffic-on-toll-idea-to-help-fund-a-new-u-s-2-trestle/

jakeroot

Drivers weren't pleased when the state implemented a toll on the 520, but I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't worth it. An HOV lane, new interchanges, bike/ped facilities, etc. It's definitely worth the toll. A US-2 Trestle replacement, besides being necessary due to age, has the potential to improve traffic flow for not just drivers, but also buses, HOV, and pedestrians and bikes.

Hurricane Rex

PNW drives don't like tolls at all. In Oregon, the three things we hate are sales taxes, tolls, and pumping our own gas. Citizens don't like to pay tolls because it restricts them to drive to certain places but sometimes they are needed.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kkt

Washington voters have been wiling to accept tolls when it's an important project.  Not only the 520 bridge, but also the 167 and 405 HOT lanes and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.  Many of the comments indicated that.  The $6 is out, but a lower toll or a toll on a HOT lane only perhaps.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: jakeroot on December 14, 2017, 09:58:08 PM
Drivers weren't pleased when the state implemented a toll on the 520, but I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't worth it. An HOV lane, new interchanges, bike/ped facilities, etc. It's definitely worth the toll. A US-2 Trestle replacement, besides being necessary due to age, has the potential to improve traffic flow for not just drivers, but also buses, HOV, and pedestrians and bikes.

2 needs to be a freeway from Everett to Gold Bar.  It's unlikely we'll see it be a freeway beyond Monroe though.
Take the road less traveled.

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on December 15, 2017, 09:22:14 PM

2 needs to be a freeway from Everett to Gold Bar.  It's unlikely we'll see it be a freeway beyond Monroe though.

WSDOT, last I checked, was planning a Monroe Bypass. It's planned to be a limited access facility, but the summary indicates at least one signalised intersection in stage 1, and two roundabouts in stage 2. Stage 3 maintains these roundabouts (the first signal is replaced by a roundabout in stage 2), but extends the Monroe Bypass from Chain Link Road to the "Campbell Road Interchange"...no idea where that is (but it's west of Snohomish).

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jakeroot on December 15, 2017, 11:19:51 PM

WSDOT, last I checked, was planning a Monroe Bypass. It's planned to be a limited access facility, but the summary indicates at least one signalised intersection in stage 1, and two roundabouts in stage 2. Stage 3 maintains these roundabouts (the first signal is replaced by a roundabout in stage 2), but extends the Monroe Bypass from Chain Link Road to the "Campbell Road Interchange"...no idea where that is (but it's west of Snohomish).

Roundabouts on any 4 lane road with a 50 mph or higher speed limit spells bad news, hopefully they can reverse course a little bit.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 16, 2017, 02:49:05 AM

Roundabouts on any 4 lane road with a 50 mph or higher speed limit spells bad news, hopefully they can reverse course a little bit.

Not necessarily. There are four two-lane roundabouts along Guide Meridian Road (SR-539) north of Bellingham, a divided highway with a 50 mph limit. They seem to operate decently well.

On the other hand, signals along 50+ mph roads are usually fine, but crashes at that speed, especially when it's into a stopped car, or the side of a car passing in the perpendicular direction, can be horrific. That's why rural roundabouts are more common now. Especially since traffic levels are light, it keep traffic from having to come to a full stop for one car that has to go straight or left. Rural signals can be improved if there's a warning sign approaching the signal, informing drivers of an impending red light. Nothing worse than approaching a signal at 50+ mph and having it go red.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jakeroot on December 16, 2017, 03:43:38 AM

Not necessarily. There are four two-lane roundabouts along Guide Meridian Road (SR-539) north of Bellingham, a divided highway with a 50 mph limit. They seem to operate decently well.

On the other hand, signals along 50+ mph roads are usually fine, but crashes at that speed, especially when it's into a stopped car, or the side of a car passing in the perpendicular direction, can be horrific. That's why rural roundabouts are more common now. Especially since traffic levels are light, it keep traffic from having to come to a full stop for one car that has to go straight or left. Rural signals can be improved if there's a warning sign approaching the signal, informing drivers of an impending red light. Nothing worse than approaching a signal at 50+ mph and having it go red.

I have not heard of that roundabout before but then again, I haven't been North of US 2 west of the Cascades and don't pay as much attention up there as I do south of there.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 16, 2017, 08:32:20 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 16, 2017, 03:43:38 AM

I have not heard of that roundabout before but then again, I haven't been North of US 2 west of the Cascades and don't pay as much attention up there as I do south of there.

Well, and north of there is basically Canada. So unless you have a passport, that's Lands End.

02 Park Ave

The southbound I-5 in Pierce County is closed due to the train wreck.  It will probably be closed for the renainder of the day.
C-o-H

jakeroot

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on December 18, 2017, 12:59:04 PM
The southbound I-5 in Pierce County is closed due to the train wreck.  It will probably be closed for the [remainder] of the day.

Lots of traffic diverting to Hwy 7, 507, and 510 through Spanaway, Roy, and Yelm. Pretty much stop and go for the entire length of the detour. Suggested detour is Hwy 16 to Purdy. Very long but actually moving, and drivers won't have to worry about running out of fuel.

Thread about the derailment: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21785.0

jakeroot

The Hwy 9/Hwy 204 improvements south of Lake Stevens appear to be coming together. The preferred alternative is E2B-Variation 4, which calls for:

- a grade-separated tight-diamond interchange between Hwy 9 and Hwy 204
- four lanes of Hwy 9 would sink below Hwy 204
- 4 St NE intersects the Hwy 9 northbound off-ramp as a RIRO
- 92 Ave NE is virtually eliminated, replaced by the Hwy 9 northbound off-ramp
- lane additions for Hwy 9 at the Market Place junction
- the Vernon Street off-ramp from Hwy 9 southbound remains

I would prefer to see a tight SPUI, like the one built in Tacoma between the 705 and 509, but that might require a bridge that's too pricey. Tight diamonds have terrible flow due to all the conflicting movements. Alas, most of the traffic will be entering/exiting Hwy 9 at this interchange, so they'll probably find a way to properly signalise it.

Other alternatives were considered (see WSDOT Flickr). Some ended Vernon Road right before 7 Place NE in a cul-de-sac. Some included a new road passing through the shopping center, connecting 7 Place NE to 4 St NE. Others included an overpass for Davies Road, with an additional northbound on-ramp. The current southbound off-ramp to Vernon Road would be retained of course, but a left turn option would have been allowed to access Davies Road. That would have been my preferred alternative, but I'm guessing that design would have been too expensive. The budget for this whole thing is only $69 million. Which is actually quite a lot. But not enough to do everything that I'm sure WSDOT would like to do. The last tight diamond, built north of Gig Harbor, cost $24 million. I would have guessed that expropriations costs were pretty high, but it looks like WSDOT already owns the land. So not sure why the high cost. Must be that Vernon Road off-ramp, and all the signals that the Hwy 16 tight diamond didn't get (stop-sign controlled).

Expect construction to start in 2019.

The E2B-Variation 4 diagram is below; here's a link to the current intersection: https://goo.gl/G5a6Qt

Bruce

The PSRC's Regional Transportation Plan shows some of the upcoming (and unfunded) proposals for regional roadways over the next 25 years. Some highlights: HOT lane conversion of I-5 from Tukwila to Everett (possibly involving the express lanes), extending BAT lanes on SR 99 in Everett, completion of the SR 18 widening, rebuilding SR 305 between Poulsbo and Winslow, and new bike trails out into the mountains from Tacoma and Arlington.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on December 03, 2017, 06:19:54 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 30, 2017, 11:32:09 PM

I hope so too.  It makes perfect sense to allow SOV express lane users to use the flyovers, even if don't meet HOV requirements.  But there is a lot of precedent for stupidity out there.

I was curious enough that I contacted Craig Smiley, a WSDOT consultant in charge of PR. He told me in an email,

The intent of the direct connector is ultimately to connect 15 miles of HOT lanes on SR 167 to 25 miles of express toll lanes on I-405, resulting in a 40-mile express toll lane system however; when the direct connector initially opens to traffic, it will be limited to vehicles meeting the HOV occupancy requirement. We plan to begin construction of the Renton to Bellevue Widening and Express Toll Lanes Project in 2019, shortly after the direct connector opens. The project will add an additional lane in each direction and will be paired with the current HOV lane to create a two-lane express toll lane system between SR 167 in Renton and Northeast 6th Street in Bellevue. Once complete, single occupancy drivers in the HOT lanes of SR 167 who pay the toll will also be able to continue paying a toll to use the direct connector ramp to access the express toll lanes of I-405. Our current plans call for opening the Renton to Bellevue express toll lanes in 2024.

:-/

duaneu2

Has SR-900 been decommissioned between Renton and Tukwila? I just noticed this morning that the SR-900 shields have been covered up on the BGS's to the Bronson Way exit on northbound I-405.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.