It's 2017 and I still can't believe that...

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 04, 2017, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

wanderer2575

Max Rockatansky

inkyatari

The Cubs won the World Series
A certain person is president
They're still making 007, Star Wars and Alien movies
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Henry

Quote from: inkyatari on May 05, 2017, 09:49:32 AM
The Cubs won the World Series
A certain person is president
They're still making 007, Star Wars and Alien movies

Add to that the fact that they're making new versions of old game shows (Match Game, The $100,000 Pyramid, To Tell the Truth), and a team from Cleveland won a championship.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

intelati49

People who were born in 2000 are going to start their last year of high school.

Seems weird to me

typo

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ColossalBlocks

That Interstate 49 is still not completed.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

nexus73

...cars are ugly appliancemobiles.  We might as well be driving refrigerators and microwave ovens...LOL!  Go watch a movie made from the Fifties to the Eighties.  You can tell what most cars are.  Now go to a WallyMart and see how many cars you can ID.  Even the ones you can most likely are lacking in style.  If I had known the early 21st century was going to be so ugly, I think I would have looked for a cryogenic storage facility a quarter century ago...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

vdeane

Quote from: nexus73 on May 05, 2017, 12:17:23 PM
If I had known the early 21st century was going to be so ugly, I think I would have looked for a cryogenic storage facility a quarter century ago...
And what if the future is even uglier?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

...cars are ugly appliancemobiles.  We might as well be driving refrigerators and microwave ovens...LOL!  Go watch a movie made from the Fifties to the Eighties.  You can tell what most cars are.  Now go to a WallyMart and see how many cars you can ID.

That's because you grew up admiring them, and then stopped doing so.

To me, I'd fail to identify most cars pre-1980 (save the really sporty stuff and a few select others). But from the 1980s to most modern-day cars, I'd notice. There's a few that would slip through the cracks; Mercedes-Benz has too many cars with forgettable model designations, but it's all an indicator of the times in which a car (or any other type) enthusiast started taking notice from the point they stopped caring.

With the exception of going a car show, how many Buick Elcectras, Lamborghini Urraccos, or Toyota 2000GTs am I going to encounter on the roads or parking lots in 2017? That's a number very close to none.

Also, your statements would have a lot more credibility if you weren't laughing to yourself all the time.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2017, 12:04:23 PM
Game Boys are valuable items.

Is that really a thing with how many units Nintendo produced?

Brandon

...cars are ugly appliancemobiles.  We might as well be driving refrigerators and microwave ovens...LOL!  Go watch a movie made from the Fifties to the Eighties.  You can tell what most cars are.  Now go to a WallyMart and see how many cars you can ID.  Even the ones you can most likely are lacking in style.  If I had known the early 21st century was going to be so ugly, I think I would have looked for a cryogenic storage facility a quarter century ago...LOL!

Rick

Beats the shit out of me what most '50s cars are from looking at them.  Anything before 1960 tends to look alike.  Cars since 1960 are a lot easier, IMHO, to tell apart.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kkt

Some of my daughter's classmates have driver's licenses.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

GaryV

The Y2K problem still hasn't materialized.

MNHighwayMan

It will in 2038 if 64-bit time values aren't widely adopted.

nexus73

Quote from: vdeane on May 05, 2017, 02:02:41 PM
If I had known the early 21st century was going to be so ugly, I think I would have looked for a cryogenic storage facility a quarter century ago...
And what if the future is even uglier?

Now that is a scary thought!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 05, 2017, 06:37:23 PM
It will in 2038 if 64-bit time values aren't widely adopted.

Yes, but current versions of Unix have used 64-bit time fields for quite a few years already.  Lots of embedded systems remain, but they'll probably be long thrown away by the time today's newborns are having their first drink.

cjk374

I can't believe how much money I make...and I'm still broke.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

D-Dey65

Microsoft is forcing me to use my old browser, because the latest upgrade they forced on me has kept me from using my current one.

Then again, maybe I should believe it.

:angry:

I-39

jp the roadgeek

They still publish phone books and offer 4-1-1 directory assistance.

People still write paper checks at the store (usually when I'm behind them and it's an express lane)

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 09, 2017, 06:05:43 PM
People still write paper checks at the store (usually when I'm behind them and it's an express lane)

Thing is, though, (and I know this from working at one) that most major retailers these days have a POS system that runs paper checks like debit card transactions. While yes, it takes longer, mostly because writing a check takes longer than swiping a piece of plastic, it's also pretty much impossible to kite a check these days because the system immedately runs the account info and checks to see if the transaction is valid, like debit/credit cards.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.