News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tipping Cleaning Staff at Hotels/Motels

Started by signalman, September 28, 2017, 09:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Brian556 on September 30, 2017, 02:27:33 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2017, 02:04:41 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on September 30, 2017, 12:44:39 AM
Also, every time I visit a restaurant where a waiter/tress brings the food to you, I always get bad service. They always let my drink run dry. This is incredibly annoying, because I have to stop eating until it is refilled, which often takes 5-10 minutes.
In this situation its annoying that you are expected to tip. I would much rather they have the drink dispenser in the dining room so that I can refill my drink myself. Why should I have to tip for service that I don't need or want?

I'm lost. You go to a sit-down restaurant, where food and drinks are brought to you, and are refilled by wait staff. But you complain about having to wait for service and that you can't do things are your own. Here's a tip: go to a fast food restaurant, where that's the whole idea.

I go to these restaurants only because I want the food that they offer, not because I feel the need to have people do things for me that I could be doing myself.

I do prefer the way things are done at a fast food establishment.

Sounds to me like you prefer buffets. Which I also like, because they give you that sit-down quality, but you do things on your own (except drinks at some places).

corco

I don't tip cleaning staff at hotels for basic room cleaning with just a couple exceptions- I think it's utterly ridiculous that we've gotten to a point where that is an expectation.

That being said, 90% of my hotel stays are just me and for just one night. I make sure to leave the room as spotless as possible (throw away all my garbage, wipe up any messes) so that all that is left to clean is very minor wear and tear. With the exception of an unmade bed, whatever (if any) garbage I generated consolidated into one trash can, and maybe a tiny bit of toothpaste in the sink I typically leave hotel rooms in exactly the same condition I found them. I don't think that warrants a tip.

I do tip if I go above that normal wear and tear standard, which usually involves:
1. I stay in a hotel multiple nights and they make my bed and organize my personal effects, I'll leave a couple bucks. I generally put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door to prevent this from happening.

2. Once I stayed in a hotel, got really drunk, and vomited all over the bathroom. I tried to clean up the vomit the best I could but it was far from perfect without ruining their towels and stuff. I left a $20 for whoever had to clean it up, because that seemed like the right thing to do.

3. If I am offered a service that goes above and beyond, I'll tip. For instance, a few months ago I walked out of a hotel room in Mexico and the housekeeper asked me if I wanted water, and gave me a few large bottles of water. That was a free amenity provided by the hotel, but I appreciated the housekeeper going above and beyond by asking me if I wanted anything as opposed to me going down to the lobby to get more, so I gave her a few pesos.

Brian556

Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2017, 11:31:14 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on September 30, 2017, 02:27:33 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2017, 02:04:41 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on September 30, 2017, 12:44:39 AM
Also, every time I visit a restaurant where a waiter/tress brings the food to you, I always get bad service. They always let my drink run dry. This is incredibly annoying, because I have to stop eating until it is refilled, which often takes 5-10 minutes.
In this situation its annoying that you are expected to tip. I would much rather they have the drink dispenser in the dining room so that I can refill my drink myself. Why should I have to tip for service that I don't need or want?

I'm lost. You go to a sit-down restaurant, where food and drinks are brought to you, and are refilled by wait staff. But you complain about having to wait for service and that you can't do things are your own. Here's a tip: go to a fast food restaurant, where that's the whole idea.

I go to these restaurants only because I want the food that they offer, not because I feel the need to have people do things for me that I could be doing myself.

I do prefer the way things are done at a fast food establishment.

Sounds to me like you prefer buffets. Which I also like, because they give you that sit-down quality, but you do things on your own (except drinks at some places).

This is also like cafeterias. Its a shame they went away

Jardine

LOL, I am reminded of a full service restaurant I went to some years ago that was built onto a convenience store.  The waitress brought my meal out but then disappeared for parts unknown without bringing my drink.  After a reasonable wait, I went to the convenience store and purchased a beverage and returned to my meal and finished it off.

Eventually she returned with my check, never noticed the 'alien' beverage container either.

As far as I can recall, that was the only time I have ever left a 2 penny tip.  Unfortunately, I am convinced to this day she had not a clue what her error was and is equally convinced I'm a butthole.

jwolfer

I never knew you were supposed to tip cleaning staff.  I can see where they go above and beyond but changing sheets, vacuuming, emptying trash cans and wiping down sink when I leave is their job.  I don't leave a mess, all trash is in one trash can

I will start doing so, a few bucks for a hard worker always helps them.

I really hate when there are bathroom attendants. I don't need any help holding my dick or wiping my ass and I don't need to be sprayed in a cloud of drakar noir

Z981

jakeroot

Quote from: jwolfer on September 30, 2017, 07:11:35 PM
I really hate when there are bathroom attendants. I don't need any help holding my dick or wiping my ass and I don't need to be sprayed in a cloud of drakar noir

I've never seen these before. Where'd you run into them?

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 30, 2017, 01:16:17 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2017, 12:25:40 AM
I had a contractor at the house who wanted to be paid in cash and gave me a discount for it, so fine, I'll pay in cash. Not my problem what he does from there, I've done nothing wrong and we're all adults.

This could very well have been to avoid credit card fees. I try to steer customers to my business toward using a check, since that's free to me (so I make more money).

That's actually a reason to tip the waiter in cash as well.

Regarding tipping in general, I went for a haircut today and I tipped $5 for a $20 haircut. I used to tip $5 for $18 and they recently raised the price. I supposed $5 might be slightly high, but it's more just a factor of convenience. It's easy to give the guy a fiver (they do not accept credit card tips), plus I usually go to the same guy (although he was off today) and he recognizes me.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2017, 08:48:29 PM

Fancy hotels or nightclubs in the past. Thankfully not very common anymore..

Some dude sitting there with an assortment of soap, breath mints, cologne​, and I would imagine condoms. He would hand you towels to dry hands etc.. He would find a reason to talk to you..give you what you need. In other words a reason for a tip

Z981

oscar

The only one I remember was the most heavily-used men's room in the lower levels of one of the Marriotts in downtown Washington D.C., when it was hosting an antitrust law convention. Fortunately, there was an attendant-free men's room one level upstairs, so I just used that one.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jwolfer

Quote from: oscar on September 30, 2017, 09:15:26 PM

The only one I remember was the most heavily-used men's room in the lower levels of one of the Marriotts in downtown Washington D.C., when it was hosting an antitrust law convention. Fortunately, there was an attendant-free men's room one level upstairs, so I just used that one.
I hate being observed using the bathroom..

I can't imagine working there. Having to smell random people's nasty dumps all day... What a shitty job

Z981

corco

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 30, 2017, 08:54:16 PM
Regarding tipping in general, I went for a haircut today and I tipped $5 for a $20 haircut. I used to tip $5 for $18 and they recently raised the price. I supposed $5 might be slightly high, but it's more just a factor of convenience. It's easy to give the guy a fiver (they do not accept credit card tips), plus I usually go to the same guy (although he was off today) and he recognizes me.

Yes - I tip generously when I want to build a good relationship with whatever entity. I always leave a tip at my 3-4 times a week mom-and-pop lunch spot, even though it is a counter service place (though they bring the food out). In exchange, they know my name, give me free food sometimes, and expedite my food relative to other people's when it is clear I'm in a hurry without me asking. I appreciate that.

I typically tip my barber $8 on a $22 haircut, and that is also clearly appreciated - she is willing to squeeze me in when it fits my schedule.

I'm much happier to tip generously in that situation than with somebody I'll never see again.

jakeroot

english si

After one week of excessive and annoying cleaning, I actively go out of my way to avoid a repeat experience. I had my bin bag wastefully changed because of a single instant coffee wrapper in it, and my bed made up (which I hate*), after the first night, I left a note on the bed saying 'please don't make up my room' (there were no 'Do not disturb' signs as it was College Dorms being used out-of-term-time as accommodation for conference delegates). It still happened with the note carefully placed back on the redone bed (so read, but ignored). After the third and forth nights I covered my bed in my stuff, had the note, and took the rubbish for my morning coffee to breakfast and binned it there so that they wouldn't do it. It did work, but was effort that I had to clean up.

Due to that, I always leave the 'Do not disturb' sign on the door until I leave. I've never left a room dirty or untidy though not clean enough for someone else to come in. As such, even if I had come from a tipping culture, I see no reason to tip - I've made their job easier for a few days and haven't given them much work to do when I do give them some work to do.

*I run hot and move around a lot when asleep. Being tucked in = very little sleep as I wake up every time I try to turn over and find it hard, and blankets/other stuff laid on top = very little sleep (especially as the duvets are normally thicker than I would like anyway). The first (OK, not quite) thing I do when arriving in a hotel room is clearing the bed of stuff I don't want, and untucking all the tucks and then tidying up the excess stuff neatly. If I forget to leave the Do Not Disturb sign out then the linen comes out of the wardrobe and goes back on my bed in what is annoying for everyone. When leaving, I put the stuff back on the bed neatly enough (I don't make the bed - not least as I hope they take it off and wash it).

jwolfer

Quote from: english si on October 01, 2017, 09:19:49 AM
After one week of excessive and annoying cleaning, I actively go out of my way to avoid a repeat experience. I had my bin bag wastefully changed because of a single instant coffee wrapper in it, and my bed made up (which I hate*), after the first night, I left a note on the bed saying 'please don't make up my room' (there were no 'Do not disturb' signs as it was College Dorms being used out-of-term-time as accommodation for conference delegates). It still happened with the note carefully placed back on the redone bed (so read, but ignored). After the third and forth nights I covered my bed in my stuff, had the note, and took the rubbish for my morning coffee to breakfast and binned it there so that they wouldn't do it. It did work, but was effort that I had to clean up.

Due to that, I always leave the 'Do not disturb' sign on the door until I leave. I've never left a room dirty or untidy though not clean enough for someone else to come in. As such, even if I had come from a tipping culture, I see no reason to tip - I've made their job easier for a few days and haven't given them much work to do when I do give them some work to do.

*I run hot and move around a lot when asleep. Being tucked in = very little sleep as I wake up every time I try to turn over and find it hard, and blankets/other stuff laid on top = very little sleep (especially as the duvets are normally thicker than I would like anyway). The first (OK, not quite) thing I do when arriving in a hotel room is clearing the bed of stuff I don't want, and untucking all the tucks and then tidying up the excess stuff neatly. If I forget to leave the Do Not Disturb sign out then the linen comes out of the wardrobe and goes back on my bed in what is annoying for everyone. When leaving, I put the stuff back on the bed neatly enough (I don't make the bed - not least as I hope they take it off and wash it).
Perhaps the maid can not read English well or at all.

Z981

Scott5114

I had a contractor at the house who wanted to be paid in cash and gave me a discount for it, so fine, I'll pay in cash. Not my problem what he does from there, I've done nothing wrong and we're all adults.

This could very well have been to avoid credit card fees. I try to steer customers to my business toward using a check, since that's free to me (so I make more money).

I don't think anywhere takes the credit card fee out of the waiter's tips, and it's probably unlawful to do so. The credit card fee (charged to the business by their credit card processing company) is a cost of doing business for the establishment.

Quote from: corco on September 30, 2017, 09:39:13 PM
Yes - I tip generously when I want to build a good relationship with whatever entity. [...] I'm much happier to tip generously in that situation than with somebody I'll never see again.

Which is really what you're buying when you tip well–a good relationship. Employees will move heaven and earth for a good tipper.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2017, 03:32:52 AM

I don't think anywhere takes the credit card fee out of the waiter's tips, and it's probably unlawful to do so. The credit card fee (charged to the business by their credit card processing company) is a cost of doing business for the establishment.

No, it's generally not unlawful -- an isolated state or two may prohibit it, but federal labor law allows that the credit card processor's fixed percentage fee may be deducted from the credit card tips passed to the employee.  (Any fixed dollar charges, such as the cost of terminal equipment, may not be.)  How many employers actually do so, I don't know.  But that's one reason I generally tip in cash, especially if I regularly frequent the place.

kphoger

If I'm only staying one night, then I don't tip, because they're just doing their normal job.  If I'm staying more than one night and they actually make the beds and re-stock supplies, then I do tip a few dollars.  On my recent trip to Minnesota (two nights), they re-stocked the towels but didn't do anything else, so I didn't tip.  My mother-in-law has worked in housekeeping most of her life, but I've never had a conversation with her about tipping.

If time allows, I do strip the beds, fold the blankets, and bundle the sheets and pillowcases.  I also bundle the used towels and combine the trash.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Tipping in cash while paying the bill on the credit card is not only to help the server underreport their income.  Cash tips go to the server immediately.  A tip on the credit card is in limbo at least until the business gets reimbursed by the credit card company at the end of the month.  And businesses skim a portion of the credit card reimbursement, at least for the fee the credit card charges them, possibly more.

That said, I do put the tip on the credit card probably about half the time.

I rarely tip the cleaning staff unless they've done something that's extra effort beyond normal cleaning.

I really don't like the tipping system.  Employees should be paid a living wage, not depend on tips for doing their jobs.
And it's hard for travelers to keep track of how much employees are actually paid.  At home, they get $15 an hour, same as the minimum wage for any occupation, a modest living.  But cross a state line and they might get half that, definitely not enough to live on if they aren't collecting tips.

roadman

Quote from: english si on October 01, 2017, 09:19:49 AM

Most hotels/motels I've stayed in give you the option of not requiring the bed to be made up/sheets changed.  Most will not make up the bed unless you place the furnished sign saying so on the bed, others require you to place the "do not make up the bed" sign on the door.  Of course, for extended stays, hotel/motel policy is typically to automatically change sheets/pillowcases after a certain number of days (usually three).

As for tipping cleaning staff, there was a period of time I was staying in hotels/motels where the staff would leave an envelope in the room to place the gratuity in.  Haven't seen one of those envelopes in the past few years, so perhaps management is discouraging the practice.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

I've never seen such an envelope left.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

I've seen the envelopes.  I don't let the presence or absence of an envelope sway me.

briantroutman

Here's the envelope Marriott leaves in many of its hotels. It's probably among the most unambiguous, as far as hotel gratuity envelopes go.

Duke87

My parents always tipped $5 per night at hotels. Following their example I generally do the same, at least for 1-2 night stays.

When I am staying in a hotel for longer than that I tend to leave the DND tag on the door except on days when I want the trash emptied, since in the middle of my stay that is the only service the cleaning staff provides which I feel is actually necessary, and their entrance into my room is as far as I'm concerned otherwise an inconvenience. In these cases, I will leave $5 only per day that I let the maids in.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

I like the little toiletries they use. I always bring my own soap, shampoo, etc., but I will always stash the hotel-supplied goodies when I get to the room, with the exception of one bar of soap I use for hand-washing. Sometimes you just get soap and shampoo, in other places you will get conditioner and lotion and even mouthwash.

So if I'm staying for more than one night, I always want my room serviced.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.