Did you work Thanksgiving? (2017 Edition)

Started by ZLoth, November 24, 2017, 03:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I almost forgot the annual "Working Thanksgiving" United States holiday thread. Don't believe me? See 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013 editions.

AGAIN? Again. Hmmmm.... lets look at the people who just might have worked on Thanksgiving...

• Gas stations
  • Movie theaters
  • Toll Takers
  • Radio and television broadcasters
  • Some restaurants
  • Technical support
  • Military service
  • Law enforcement
  • Firefighters
  • 911 Dispatchers
  • Medical personnel (hospitals, EMTs)
Of course, here were the games yesterday which means that people were working the parking lot, concessions, ushers, and broadcasters:

• 12:30 PM ET - Vikings at Lions (NFL)
  • 4:30 PM ET - Chargers at Cowboys (NFL)
  • 7:30 PM ET - Mississippi at Mississippi State (College Football)
  • 8:30 PM ET - Giants at Redskins (NFL)
  • Six College Basketball games
  • NBA - No Games
  • NHL - No Games
This year, a co-worker and I split the holiday. He worked Thanksgiving night, I work day-after-Thanksgiving night. And, when my mom and I went up to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner, I tipped 20%.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This retail worker got his $140 worth yesterday (sigh)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: ZLoth on November 24, 2017, 03:46:34 PM
I almost forgot the annual "Working Thanksgiving" United States holiday thread. Don't believe me? See 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013 editions.

AGAIN? Again. Hmmmm.... lets look at the people who just might have worked on Thanksgiving...

• Gas stations
  • Movie theaters
  • Some restaurants
  • Technical support
  • Military service
  • Law enforcement
  • Firefighters
  • 911 Dispatchers
Of course, here were the games yesterday which means that people were working the parking lot, concessions, ushers, and broadcasters:

• NBA - No Games
  • NHL - No Games
This year, a co-worker and I split the holiday. He worked Thanksgiving night, I work day-after-Thanksgiving night. And, when my mom and I went up to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner, I tipped 20%.
You forgot Nurses, EMT and other medical personnel

P00I

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on November 24, 2017, 10:56:31 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on November 24, 2017, 03:46:34 PM

• Gas stations
  • Movie theaters
  • Some restaurants
  • Technical support
  • Military service
  • Law enforcement
  • Firefighters
  • 911 Dispatchers

• NBA - No Games
  • NHL - No Games
You forgot Nurses, EMT and other medical personnel

P00I

Not to mention road related workers: Toll takers.

ZLoth

Corrected. Although I'm sure people who have been appreciative if Toll Takers had Thanksgiving off.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ZLoth on November 25, 2017, 06:49:09 AM
Corrected. Although I'm sure people who have been appreciative if Toll Takers had Thanksgiving off.

The travelers, yes. The people who bought the bonds and want to be paid back, No!

cjk374

My railroad was shut down Thursday, but trains were running on the KCS behind my house. Some crews were headed home in time for Thanksgiving dinner, some were leaving home (Shreveport) before dinner.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

DandyDan

I could have worked on Thanksgiving, as they were taking volunteers, not that I was ever going to. I work in the warehouse of a pharmaceutical distribution company and they needed people to pack ice into the refrigerated orders, which got picked Wednesday night, and to load the trucks for Friday delivery.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ET21

Nothing Thanksgiving Day, worked a half day Black Friday (7am-12:10pm)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

slorydn1

Nope I (911) did not. My son (Walmart) did.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2017, 01:29:47 PM
Of course, FL Toll Roads never close.
Off topic a bit.  But what do the toll takers do when the Governor suspends tolls for hurricane evacuation?

Z981

gilpdawg

Quote from: jwolfer on December 02, 2017, 03:30:27 PM
Off topic a bit.  But what do the toll takers do when the Governor suspends tolls for hurricane evacuation?

Z981
I went to Destin while tolls were suspended in Florida. There was a worker at the booth telling people to NOT pay.

iPad

golden eagle

I didn't work. My job was closed anyway.

jwolfer

Quote from: gilpdawg on December 03, 2017, 07:16:33 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on December 02, 2017, 03:30:27 PM

Z981
I went to Destin while tolls were suspended in Florida. There was a worker at the booth telling people to NOT pay.

iPad
I have sunpass I never notice if workers are in the booths.  I know the Turnpike was a lot busier than normal

Z981

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.