Do you pronounce drive as "jrive" and train as "chrain"?

Started by 7/8, December 09, 2017, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you pronounce drive as "jrive" and train as "chrain"?

Yes, I say "jrive" and "chrain"
7 (43.8%)
No, I don't say either of those
7 (43.8%)
I say "jrive", but not "chrain"
0 (0%)
I say "chrain", but not "jrive"
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

english si

Quote from: kphoger on December 14, 2017, 11:19:46 AMWhoa, really?  I've never heard anyone pronounce "sandwich" or "Greenwich" with a /dʒ/ sound before.
This is why Londoners laugh at American (especially American - probably only them in fact) tourists in London thinking they know how to say stuff. Green-witch is nearly as famous as Lie-ces-ter Square.

I'm guessing Greenwich, CT is pronounced "Green-witch", unlike the place it's named after which is pronounced "Gren-ige".

Likewise, sandwich is correctly pronounced like the town on the other side of Kent to Greenwich that it is named after: "San-dwige" not "Sand-witch".

Next you'll be pronouncing Chomondley as Chom-ond-lee, not Chum-ley, as you think English pronounciation has anything to do with how words are spelt. :-D

kphoger

Quote from: english si on December 14, 2017, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 14, 2017, 11:19:46 AMWhoa, really?  I've never heard anyone pronounce "sandwich" or "Greenwich" with a /dʒ/ sound before.
This is why Londoners laugh at American (especially American - probably only them in fact) tourists in London thinking they know how to say stuff. Green-witch is nearly as famous as Lie-ces-ter Square.

I'm guessing Greenwich, CT is pronounced "Green-witch", unlike the place it's named after which is pronounced "Gren-ige".

Likewise, sandwich is correctly pronounced like the town on the other side of Kent to Greenwich that it is named after: "San-dwige" not "Sand-witch".

Next you'll be pronouncing Chomondley as Chom-ond-lee, not Chum-ley, as you think English pronounciation has anything to do with how words are spelt. :-D

Here in Wichita, the city is split between those who pronounce a principal street through the city as "Green-witch" and those who pronounce the same street as "Grenn-itch."  I know one person who says "Grenn-witch."

FWIW, our family has taken to calling Worcestershire sauce "W sauce."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: english si on December 14, 2017, 03:55:18 PM

Greenwich, CT is not pronounced as it looks, but it's not quite what it is in the UK (still -itch, not -ige).

Worcester, MA and Gloucester, MA are pronounced as they are in the UK. One city in Ohio had to simplify the spelling to "Wooster" so that people wouldn't mess up.

Leominster is pronounced with 3 syllables in Massachusetts, 2 in the UK, and 4 for anyone who incorrectly tries to guess based on how it looks.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Norfolk, Nebraska, is pronounced "Nor-fork."  But it's named after neither England nor Virginia, rather its etymology is "North Fork."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

english si

Quote from: kphoger on December 14, 2017, 04:01:45 PMFWIW, our family has taken to calling Worcestershire sauce "W sauce."
drop the 'shire', as no one uses that bit. Wooster sauce.
Quote from: 1 on December 14, 2017, 04:03:16 PMGreenwich, CT is not pronounced as it looks, but it's not quite what it is in the UK (still -itch, not -ige).
-itch is probably more right, with -ige being my lazy effort at consonants. Certainly it's acceptable as the issue that causes the shibboleth is Green rather than Grenn and the 'w' (and stress on the beginning, not the end, hence why it drawls into -ige).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.