News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

GEICO's Highway-Themed Commercial

Started by PHLBOS, January 19, 2018, 08:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Feel free to enjoy and/or dissect/pick it apart

Edit: Video has since been reloaded.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Big John

That looks like a small speed limit 65 sign for that type of road.

kphoger

I would have just gone around to the left and cut him off.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

The Delaware Turnpike is never 3 lanes narrow, unless you consider the extreme southern/western end between MD and the Delaware Toll plaza. :-)

There's also no tree-filled median, unless you consider the very northern end by the sandbox.  Ironically, the Wilmington, 2 Mile sign would be reasonably appropriate in that general area.

adventurernumber1

Holy crap! I've seen this advertisement at least five times (in the past week or so), when pulling up music on YouTube.

What's absolutely hilarious is that not one of those times had I tuned into the actual plot of the
Commercial to find out what was happening. All of those times I just stared and gazed at the road the whole time.

:rofl:   :rofl:

That is a pretty good and funny commercial, now that I know what actually happened.  :)

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

rickmastfan67

Anybody else notice the 'PA Turnpike' style Call Box?

jakeroot

Wait, so how is this roadgeek-themed?

I do think it's funny (not that I've seen it before -- I use Youtube Red) but not sure how it's related to roadgeekery.

KEVIN_224

Question is...was that really Delaware or Pennsylvania near the state line? The "Wilmington" sign looks real to me! :)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2018, 12:41:06 AM

I do think it's funny (not that I've seen it before -- I use Youtube Red) but not sure how it's related to roadgeekery.

I agree and for me, the theme lies more on a comedy focus and the road was there because that was what they wanted to do. That being said, it is not in my definition of a roadgeek.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

mrsman

The vast majority of commercials in US are filmed in California.  They probably shot this on a CA freeway and photoshopped in the Wilmington sign.

Or perhaps it was taken near Wilmington, CA (LA Harbor area)

US 89

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 20, 2018, 10:35:12 PM

Funny, I thought it looked like a typical California call box.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 24, 2018, 12:42:42 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 20, 2018, 10:35:12 PM

Funny, I thought it looked like a typical California call box.

Some of the trees in the background look like California trees.

The sign gantry does look like something from Florida, though. And why is the gantry on the left side of the carriageway?

All things considered, it was pretty clearly filmed against a green screen. Note the angle of the cars and the lighting.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 22, 2018, 12:21:28 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2018, 12:41:06 AM

I agree and for me, the theme lies more on a comedy focus and the road was there because that was what they wanted to do. That being said, it is not in my definition of a roadgeek.
Duly noted and the thread title has since been changed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Road Hog

I'll agree, not a roadgeek-themed commercial – but it does have a number of elements that roadgeeks can freely dissect. The plausibly realistic signage, for instance. Seen worse.

jakeroot

Quote from: Road Hog on January 25, 2018, 12:23:00 AM
I'll agree, not a roadgeek-themed commercial – but it does have a number of elements that roadgeeks can freely dissect. The plausibly realistic signage, for instance. Seen worse.

I think the only people who are capable of dissecting the commercial would be roadgeeks. Who else would notice the rounded sign panel?

adventurernumber1

And, as of just now, looks like YouTube has taken down the video. Thanks a lot YouTube.

This definitely isn't the first time.  :pan:  :pan:  :banghead:  :ded:  :no:  :thumbdown:

But seriously, it's gotta be fair use if we are critiquing the signage.  :sombrero:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 25, 2018, 02:01:03 AM
But seriously, it's gotta be fair use if we are critiquing the signage.  :sombrero:

I don't believe that current advertising qualifies under fair use provisions.  That having been said, YouTube "We'll take it down, no questions asked" policy when they receive a "copyright" complaint is patently absurd.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 21, 2018, 08:52:16 AM
Question is...was that really Delaware or Pennsylvania near the state line? The "Wilmington" sign looks real to me! :)

PA's I-95 doesn't have trees in the their rather narrow median near the state line.

SP Cook

There is not just one exit labeled "Wilmington" is there? 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SP Cook on January 25, 2018, 02:27:03 PM
There is not just one exit labeled "Wilmington" is there? 

Along the Delaware Turnpike's I-95, there are NO exits labeled Wilmington!  Wilmington is only part of the pull thru signage (example: https://goo.gl/maps/5N8eax7MrdJ2 )

Now, head closer to Wilmington.  The only time 'Wilmington' exists on an exit sign (going Northbound) is *after* you pass Wilmington! https://goo.gl/maps/6qAGArinzE32

sparker

Obviously using green-screen and probably some CGI (signage?).  But the question is: does anyone recognize that particular segment of road (that part looks quite real).  But it is really funny -- especially Washington with an exasperated NYC accent (not at all what you'd expect from a VA gentleman farmer!).  Kudos to whoever wrote it and put it all together; one of the better efforts in this particular string of GEICO ads. :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.