News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best Reads on the Forum

Started by webny99, February 13, 2018, 09:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Since I've been reading through a number of old threads recently, I thought I'd ask - which are your favorites?

I'll probably read them - they can have good discussion, valuable information, or just be outright hilarious. I'm looking for responses mainly from users who have been here for a few years, if not since the origins of the forum. Have at it - I'll look forward to it :biggrin: :coffee:

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

webny99

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I like this:

Quote from:  Alps- Reply #124 on: October 20, 2009, 06:20:23 PMI will now make this the #1 result when you search "dam quetzal religious underthinking."

He was right, sure enough! :-D
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 09:07:29 PM
Since I've been reading through a number of old threads recently, I thought I'd ask - which are your favorites?

I'll probably read them - they can have good discussion, valuable information, or just be outright hilarious. I'm looking for responses mainly from users who have been here for a few years, if not since the origins of the forum. Have at it - I'll look forward to it :biggrin: :coffee:

Wouldn't it be easier to see which ones have the most posts?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on February 13, 2018, 09:49:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 09:07:29 PM

Post count does not always positively correlate to thread quality; see the "crash-prone modern roundabouts" thread for an example (IMO) of a terrible thread with a lot of posts.

webny99

Yes - but doing it this way is much more interesting. Forum originals may remember stuff that I'd never happen to stumble upon.

Also, many of the longest threads on the forum are sign threads and picture challenges; not my primary interest. As MNHighwayMan says, quantity and quality aren't always directly related.

Max Rockatansky

Geographical Oddities, Funny Street Names, Worst Signs, Odd/Interesting/Unique Signs, etc.  I do like talking shop and seeing what gets posted on the 60s, 70s, 80s cars thread.

freebrickproductions

I'd say the first few/several pages of Alanland.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Beltway

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 13, 2018, 09:52:27 PM
Post count does not always positively correlate to thread quality; see the "crash-prone modern roundabouts" thread for an example (IMO) of a terrible thread with a lot of posts.

Would the Breezewood, PA threads qualify as the proverbial "beating a dead horse"?

In that case also filling it full of bullets and buckshot?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on February 14, 2018, 08:16:46 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 13, 2018, 09:52:27 PM

Would the Breezewood, PA threads qualify as the proverbial "beating a dead horse"?

In that case also filling it full of bullets and buckshot?

I've kind of found that to be the case with a lot of the I-11 threads, really all the regional boards have at least a couple threads like that.  Usually there is so much conjecture about where the route should go that gets repeated over and over again.  The real meat is when someone posts actual project updates or visits a new section.  There are other topics like that too such as the CA 58 Centential Corridor thread.  I lose interest talking about the same thing without anything new after awhile. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Signs you'll never see in the road (Too bad some pictures are gone, thanks to Photofuckit)
Street/Highway names that will never exist (I said several times any street named directly after a disease, but there is now a Dravet Trail (Spanish: Senda Dravet, Basque: Dravet Bidea) near Pamplona, Spain, named directly after the epilepsy!)
What is the highest classification of road beside which you have urinated? (One of the best threads ever!)

And on the NE2's research threads category I like his work about indirect US Routes.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadgeekteen

I like reading through some of the sign challenge threads.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Scott5114

"Adventures in Utah Signage" is a favorite. Not only are there tons of great old pictures of '50s/'60s era signs when they were new, but it's also the thread where state name interstate shields returning to Utah was triumphantly announced, leading to hilarious reactions from the forumgoers.

Quote from: webny99 on February 14, 2018, 11:36:25 PM
I like links  :nod:  :D

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: LM117 on February 14, 2018, 01:15:10 PM
:bigass:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21239.0

The things I miss when I'm on vacation...

I look around on The Worst of and Best of threads, just to see if any of them are still standing or worth finding.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2018, 12:33:31 AM
[img snipped]

:pan: Pretty sure you know I meant links to the threads you're referring to. They're not always easy finds.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2018, 01:07:05 PM
[img snipped]

:pan: Pretty sure you know I meant links to the threads you're referring to. They're not always easy finds.

Go to Google and type in "site:aaroads.com [thread title]"

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2018, 01:13:27 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2018, 01:07:05 PM
[img snipped]
Go to Google and type in "site:aaroads.com [thread title]"

Success! Someday, the forum search function will be more effective than the Google search function  ;-)

Scott5114

Doubtful. Google has money and programmers, we don't.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2018, 01:22:33 PM

Hence [;-)].

Alternatively, I could have used [/s]

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2018, 01:22:33 PM
We do have programmers! Just not anyone who has the time. I could though. I would love the opportunity to contribute more to this community I have grown to enjoy!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Henry

Any sign challenge threads, plus any fictional highways that are not created by FritzOwl.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.