News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Videos

Started by roadman65, August 09, 2018, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Back when MTV was a video channel and was the "Big Thing" in the early to late 80's before it went all whatever it is now, some groups used to have the oddest and bizarre videos created.

I know I did a thread a long time ago about what your favorite videos were over a year or so ago, but I remembered this one video that was very interesting.  I won't say cool, but I won't say sucks either. At the time of showing, critics blasted it cause it was the first music video from this particular band and therefore should have been more livelier as this one video was completely animated.  It did show the band as animated characters at its end, but the vid was comic book inspired and drawn into that art.

Alan Parsons on his 1984 album Amonia Avenue, had a single off of that called Don't Answer Me, which had a completely animated video which was about the Adventures of Nick and Sugar.  It was a story of a man named Nick who lost his girl to another man named Muscles Malone.  A thuggish man who was on a date at a local bar with the girl named Sugar.  Nick walks in and sees Malone with Sugar, as the girl used to be his, but cannot deal with the pain and downs a bottle of booze before leaving.  He ends up driving to the local drive in where he tells his heartbreak to the waitress.  Then comes in a black sedan next to Nick with both his ex and the big bully!  He wants to make out, but she does not but is ready to get rough with her.  Then Nick decides to defend Sugar's honor and pulls Malone out of the car to beat him up despite him being much larger to him.  The two brawl and at the end Nick (of course) wins and sends Malone flying into the moon literally!  In fact the moon was alive and you heard it say ouch when Muscles penetrated its left eye, before Nick and Sugar drove off deeply in love, stopping to reach up into the sky and wipe the Man in the Moon's left eye clear from the stinging it got from when the big man hit him there.

Anyway, I was wondering what other videos do you all of sudden remember that you found to be interesting that you forgot over the course of the decades?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

I only learned about it thanks to a blog post asking for so-bad-it's-good music videos, but Barbra Streisand made a music video in the 80s where she's playing a cabaret singer, and at one point she stops singing to take a drag from her cigarette, and her singing voice continues.

I think this is amazing, both for its satirical value and the way it nailed the look and feel of so many videos made at the time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpYQJkBQp0

inkyatari

Quote from: roadman65 on August 09, 2018, 07:50:14 PM
Back when MTV was a video channel and was the "Big Thing" in the early to late 80's before it went all whatever it is now, some groups used to have the oddest and bizarre videos created.

I know I did a thread a long time ago about what your favorite videos were over a year or so ago, but I remembered this one video that was very interesting.  I won't say cool, but I won't say sucks either. At the time of showing, critics blasted it cause it was the first music video from this particular band and therefore should have been more livelier as this one video was completely animated.  It did show the band as animated characters at its end, but the vid was comic book inspired and drawn into that art.

Alan Parsons on his 1984 album Amonia Avenue, had a single off of that called Don't Answer Me, which had a completely animated video which was about the Adventures of Nick and Sugar.  It was a story of a man named Nick who lost his girl to another man named Muscles Malone.  A thuggish man who was on a date at a local bar with the girl named Sugar.  Nick walks in and sees Malone with Sugar, as the girl used to be his, but cannot deal with the pain and downs a bottle of booze before leaving.  He ends up driving to the local drive in where he tells his heartbreak to the waitress.  Then comes in a black sedan next to Nick with both his ex and the big bully!  He wants to make out, but she does not but is ready to get rough with her.  Then Nick decides to defend Sugar's honor and pulls Malone out of the car to beat him up despite him being much larger to him.  The two brawl and at the end Nick (of course) wins and sends Malone flying into the moon literally!  In fact the moon was alive and you heard it say ouch when Muscles penetrated its left eye, before Nick and Sugar drove off deeply in love, stopping to reach up into the sky and wipe the Man in the Moon's left eye clear from the stinging it got from when the big man hit him there.

Anyway, I was wondering what other videos do you all of sudden remember that you found to be interesting that you forgot over the course of the decades?

That was an amazing video.

One that I just started watching recently that was very bizarre that I remembered from back then is Jocko Homo by Devo. That was a weird one.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

roadman65

The weirdest one I saw was Lou Reed for No Money Down.  Literally ripping the skin off of his face down to his skeleton.

Then Tom Petty's video for  Don't Come Around Here No More actually eating a girl lol!

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2018, 11:15:34 AM
The weirdest one I saw was Lou Reed for No Money Down.  Literally ripping the skin off of his face down to his skeleton.
That reminds me of how much the Touch of Grey video used to disturb me as a kid, and how relieved I would be when the skeletons-on-piano-wire turned into the flesh-and-blood band members.

BamaZeus

As a birthday gift, my father, aunt, and uncle paid for my grandfather to get cable for a year once it had finally reached his town.  He and my grandmother were definitely more "highbrow" as far as culture went.  They listened exclusively to the classical music radio station, watched a lot of PBS, etc.

My grandfather knew what MTV was, and thought it was the worst of the worst.  He despised it enough that he actually blocked the channel off his tv, so it would skip it as he scanned channels. 

Then one day, for whatever reason, he relented and put the channel back on and discovered Touch Of Grey.  For someone who would never listen to the Dead in a million years, he thought the skeletons playing instruments was the coolest thing he had ever seen.

Funny how technology and some innovation could change the mind of a 70 year old man.

abefroman329

Quote from: BamaZeus on August 14, 2018, 11:32:30 AM
As a birthday gift, my father, aunt, and uncle paid for my grandfather to get cable for a year once it had finally reached his town.  He and my grandmother were definitely more "highbrow" as far as culture went.  They listened exclusively to the classical music radio station, watched a lot of PBS, etc.

My grandfather knew what MTV was, and thought it was the worst of the worst.  He despised it enough that he actually blocked the channel off his tv, so it would skip it as he scanned channels. 

Then one day, for whatever reason, he relented and put the channel back on and discovered Touch Of Grey.  For someone who would never listen to the Dead in a million years, he thought the skeletons playing instruments was the coolest thing he had ever seen.

Funny how technology and some innovation could change the mind of a 70 year old man.
This is a great story, and a great one to tell any Deadhead who thinks the band started sucking after that video came out and the band started getting some more mainstream fans.

nexus73

My favorite MTV video would be Dire Strait's Money For Nothing.  Prior to the last election cycle there was a remake of it done to parody Obamacare.  That was a funny one and a great tribute to the original. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RojRPQq2-Q

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

roadman65

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 13, 2018, 12:22:46 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2018, 11:15:34 AM
That reminds me of how much the Touch of Grey video used to disturb me as a kid, and how relieved I would be when the skeletons-on-piano-wire turned into the flesh-and-blood band members.
That was their first video too!  That album it came from In The Dark, was their first studio album in several years.  As the one before it was out before videos became popular.

Yes it freaked me out too, especially when the dog stole Mickey Hart's leg and a technician had to put him back together.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

First and only video, I believe.

inkyatari

Quote from: nexus73 on August 14, 2018, 06:24:00 PM
My favorite MTV video would be Dire Strait's Money For Nothing.  Prior to the last election cycle there was a remake of it done to parody Obamacare.  That was a funny one and a great tribute to the original. 

Rick

I liked Weird Al's parody, personally.

Looking at Devo's videography, there isn't a normal video in the bunch, with Whip It being the most normal.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on August 15, 2018, 09:00:37 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on August 14, 2018, 06:24:00 PM

Rick

I liked Weird Al's parody, personally.

Looking at Devo's videography, there isn't a normal video in the bunch, with Whip It being the most normal.

Yeah, I was gonna mention the Weird Al parody too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.