News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I 40 Construction in Sallisaw Oklahoma

Started by robbones, January 27, 2019, 05:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbones

Construction has started on I 40 in Sallisaw, Oklahoma. Scope of the project is replacing bridges, reconfiguring the I 40/US 64 interchange, and pavement resurfacing. Expected timeframe is 2 years.

bugo

East or west of US 59? Parts of the highway west of Sallisaw were recently repaved.

robbones

Quote from: bugo on January 27, 2019, 06:23:26 PM
East or west of US 59? Parts of the highway west of Sallisaw were recently repaved.
East. Exit 311 is getting reconfigured to get rid of the loop for the EB US 64 to EB I 40 and a new on ramp in the SE quadrant of the interchange.

LGL164VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on January 27, 2019, 06:55:03 PM
Quote from: bugo on January 27, 2019, 06:23:26 PM
East. Exit 311 is getting reconfigured to get rid of the loop for the EB US 64 to EB I 40 and a new on ramp in the SE quadrant of the interchange.

I was just through there yesterday and wondered what they were doing. My initial thought was they were installing cable barriers.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Plutonic Panda

Will this compete the entire reconstruction of I-40 through the town? Are the bridges over the railroad tracks going to be replaced as well? I-40 is a nice road around the area but this part is really bad.

robbones

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 28, 2019, 11:49:51 AM
Will this compete the entire reconstruction of I-40 through the town? Are the bridges over the railroad tracks going to be replaced as well? I-40 is a nice road around the area but this part is really bad.
It will complete everything in town except the US 59 interchange which is on the 8 year plan. As far as which bridges are getting replaced or repaired, I don't know.

LGL164VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on January 28, 2019, 12:11:34 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 28, 2019, 11:49:51 AM
It will complete everything in town except the US 59 interchange which is on the 8 year plan. As far as which bridges are getting replaced or repaired, I don't know.

Likely means the button copy sign at 59/I-40 is doomed :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

Lately all the rehab projects on Oklahoma Interstates have included sign replacement in the package.

rte66man

from ODOT:

I-40 narrowed at US-64 interchange in Sallisaw, work continues until 2021
The project below is weather permitting:

The left lanes of east and westbound I-40 are closed until further notice at the US-64 junction in Sallisaw as part of an interchange improvement project. Delays can be expected, and drivers should plan ahead for extra travel time in this corridor.

The $42 million project began Jan. 21 and will replace or rehabilitate ten bridges on I-40 from the US-64 interchange to just east of the US-59 junction (between MM308-311). Pavement will also be replaced in this nearly three-mile corridor, and ramps will be widened to improve merging points at the I-40/US-64 interchange.

Drivers will need to use caution and expect slower traffic and delays, especially during peak travel times.

The overall project is expected to complete in early 2021, weather permitting.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

robbones

Just an update on the construction... All traffic is on the WB lanes and have modified the US 64 interchange temporarily... They've constructed 2 ramps on the East side and have reconfigured the on ramp to an off ramp... EB work should begin either 6-14 or 6-17.

SM-S767VL

robbones

Reviving the thread...
Construction is roughly 70% done with majority of the work to be completed is on the Westbound lanes of I 40

SM-S506DL

rte66man

Nice photos. Thanks.  Could you tell whether the new bridges are wider to accept additional lanes in the future?

-Yogi Berra

robbones

Quote from: rte66man on July 07, 2020, 10:57:04 AM
Nice photos. Thanks.  Could you tell whether the new bridges are wider to accept additional lanes in the future?
The EB bridge going over US 64 and the WB bridge just west of US 64was widened to 3 lanes to accommodate a longer merge lane, otherwise everything is still the same 2x2. When I get off work, I'll take more pictures of the entire project.

SM-S506DL

robbones

Here are some more pictures of the construction... These were taken going WB on I 40

SM-S506DL

robbones

robbones

US 64 and I 40 interchange... They were in the process of switching US 64 traffic from the original lanes to the new concrete.  Overall they're raising the road  4 to 5 feet throughout the entire project

SM-S506DL

rte66man

Makes sense. Didn't that part flood a few years ago?

It looks as if they are replacing all of the pavement on I40 within he project area. Is that correct? I know they replaced the asphalt with concrete about 10 years ago but left the bridges and approaches for another time.

-Yogi Berra

robbones

Quote from: rte66man on July 08, 2020, 08:23:41 AM
Makes sense. Didn't that part flood a few years ago?

It looks as if they are replacing all of the pavement on I40 within he project area. Is that correct? I know they replaced the asphalt with concrete about 10 years ago but left the bridges and approaches for another time.
Everything from just East of the US 64 interchange (Exit 311) to just East of the US 59 interchange (Exit 308) is being torn up and replaced.

SM-S506DL

DJStephens

Construction appears to be of good quality.  Concrete pavement is excellent.   Many sections of original Interstate have either passed or are nearing their 60th birthday so complete reconstruction is warranted.   

SoonerCowboy

Quote from: DJStephens on August 04, 2020, 12:40:12 PM
Construction appears to be of good quality.  Concrete pavement is excellent.   Many sections of original Interstate have either passed or are nearing their 60th birthday so complete reconstruction is warranted.

That is good to hear. I will get to experience it for myself. Heading to Arkansas in September.

capt.ron

I drove through the section just the other day. It's coming along nicely. There is a lot of road construction on I-40 between OKC and the OK/AR state line. One section just east of Shawnee is particularly bad on the east bound side. LOTS of traffic backup and it took at least 15 minutes to get through that section. Also good on the Oklahoma DOT raising US 64 in that section.

robbones

Quote from: capt.ron on September 05, 2020, 02:15:45 PM
I drove through the section just the other day. It's coming along nicely. There is a lot of road construction on I-40 between OKC and the OK/AR state line. One section just east of Shawnee is particularly bad on the east bound side. LOTS of traffic backup and it took at least 15 minutes to get through that section. Also good on the Oklahoma DOT raising US 64 in that section.
The extending the onramp for the EB lanes was BADLY NEEDED. Previously, there was roughly 300 ft to merge, now roughly a ¼ mile to the merge point.

SM-S506DL

capt.ron

Quote from: robbones on September 05, 2020, 11:35:59 PM
The extending the onramp for the EB lanes was BADLY NEEDED. Previously, there was roughly 300 ft to merge, now roughly a ¼ mile to the merge point.

SM-S506DL

I'm glad that OKDOT finally fixed the on-ramp. One thing I have noticed...not just this on-ramp but LOTS of on-ramps on I-40 throughout Oklahoma have little, if ANY acceleration lanes. One on-ramp in particular just east of Canute and before reaching Foss is just a "Yield". NO acceleration lane whatsoever! OKDOT really needs to bring I-40 up to modern Interstate standards. I'm surprised that they haven't rebuilt / modified the on-ramp that has remained like this since the late 1950's!!
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4275135,-99.2114272,3a,74y,80.93h,88.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqn9VLQlKz8X7KzSAlh3klw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

robbones

Quote from: capt.ron on September 06, 2020, 02:06:55 PM
Quote from: robbones on September 05, 2020, 11:35:59 PM

SM-S506DL

I'm glad that OKDOT finally fixed the on-ramp. One thing I have noticed...not just this on-ramp but LOTS of on-ramps on I-40 throughout Oklahoma have little, if ANY acceleration lanes. One on-ramp in particular just east of Canute and before reaching Foss is just a "Yield". NO acceleration lane whatsoever! OKDOT really needs to bring I-40 up to modern Interstate standards. I'm surprised that they haven't rebuilt / modified the on-ramp that has remained like this since the late 1950's!!
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4275135,-99.2114272,3a,74y,80.93h,88.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqn9VLQlKz8X7KzSAlh3klw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
About every on ramp on Sequoyah county has that design. Roland is a very good one that needs to be updated because this is where most of the traffic coming from Fort Smith, AR gets on to head West

SM-S506DL

robbones

I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the construction progress. Currently both EB and WB traffic are back on their separate carriageways. The interchange on US 64 is about 75% complete with the traffic on the new on and off ramps.

SM-G960U1

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.