News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 12, 2022, 10:42:19 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2022, 09:32:56 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 12, 2022, 06:58:19 PM
Oh, no. Amari Cooper. Gotta feel bad for the guy, getting traded to a team whose barely-above-replacement-level quarterback has found a way to significantly lower the productivity of every decent receiver he's ever played with.

"Every" meaning just one (OBJ)?
Landry wants out.

Because he can make more elsewhere, not because Baker significantly lowered his production.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

snowc

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 13, 2022, 07:25:03 PM
Tom Brady unretired.

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1503147141795045378
DANG IT!!! THE GOAT IS BACK!  :pan:
THIS IS THE WORST NEWS SINCE SYRACUSE NOT COMING IN THE TOURNEY!
*flushes toilet*
BEDTIME FOR ME!  :colorful: :colorful: :colorful:

DenverBrian

Just when you think Tom Brady couldn't possibly be more egotistical...

Max Rockatansky

I guess that I missed the part where the Bucs have a better roster than last year?

thspfc

Brady's extended contract with Tampa is up after this season. If Tampa is either really good or really disappointing this season (wins it all or misses the playoffs), I would not at all be shocked to see Brady end up on a third team in 2023.

For now, just happy he's back  :D

webny99

I'm not sure "happy" is the word I'd use. It always seemed kind of strange that Brady was retiring even though it was clear he hadn't declined to a point where physically he couldn't play anymore, so I'm not shocked, but the NFL would have still been plenty exciting without Brady. It's obviously exciting for Bucs fans but probably more of a collective groan from the other 31 fanbases.

The NFC South also took a hard turn this weekend from looking like potentially historically bad division to looking OK-ish with the Brady un-retirement and the Saints and Panthers being leading contenders for Deshaun Watson.

tchafe1978

Ted$8roadFan

It's amazing how TB12 upended the NCAA's Men and Women's Tournament Selection Sunday, the return of baseball from the lockout, and a pretty good day of NBA and NHL games while reminding everyone why football is the only sport that the country cannot live without. (Sorry to any other sport I forgot to mention). Not to mention it's a gift to the sports media-industrial complex.

As for the announcement itself, I'm not surprised (and neither is anyone else in the aforementioned etc sports media complex here, who will be talking about this for days). His retirement seemed kind of sloppy and forced, with suspicious timing; he can still play at an elite level; he's not yet 45 (his stated age to retire, tho that will change, too); and Tampa Bay didn't make any high-profile moves to bring in a new starting QB, suggesting they knew this might happen. For his sake, he had better play at the same level he did since coming ago Tampa if he wants to avoid the inevitable Favre comparisons.

LM117

Tom Brady unretired.

The ultimate troll on the guy that paid over $500,000 for Brady's "last" touchdown pass football. :rofl:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

webny99

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 14, 2022, 05:39:16 AM
It's amazing how TB12 upended the NCAA's Men and Women's Tournament Selection Sunday, the return of baseball from the lockout, and a pretty good day of NBA and NHL games while reminding everyone why football is the only sport that the country cannot live without. (Sorry to any other sport I forgot to mention). Not to mention it's a gift to the sports media-industrial complex.

Yep:D

1995hoo

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 13, 2022, 10:30:08 PM
Brady is just trying to keep up with Favre in un-retirements.

You might even say Brady favres playing football over retiring.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 13, 2022, 10:30:08 PM
Tom Brady unretired.

Brady is just trying to keep up with Favre in un-retirements.
IIRC, Brady once said that he wanted to play until he was 50. Well, he's five years away from that one...but yeah, his un-retirement is a major development in the sports world. No matter how much you love or hate the guy, he'll always be the center of attention, which is what the latest news just proved.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kevinb1994

Reports are in stating that Mitch Trubisky is the replacement for Big Ben.

thspfc

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 14, 2022, 05:18:53 PM
I don't like it for Pittsburgh. Should've gone after Jimmy G.

jlam

Quote from: thspfc on March 14, 2022, 05:24:25 PM
I feel the same for Washington and Wentz. He isn't the answer for them.

Scott5114

They should apply the 22nd Amendment to quarterbacks.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DenverBrian

Refreshing to see so many other teams lamenting their QB choices.

Denver's got Russ. We're ecstatic. :D :D :D

gr8daynegb

Hoping for him his time in Buffalo helped him get back on course to be a decent NFL QB.  Thankful as a Packers fan his time as a Bear he didn't do much, but Mitch has more upside than Jimmy G if he had the right system IMHO.  Will depend how badly the Bears and their coaches could have ruined him.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Quote from: gr8daynegb on March 14, 2022, 06:40:01 PM

Hoping for him his time in Buffalo helped him get back on course to be a decent NFL QB.  Thankful as a Packers fan his time as a Bear he didn't do much, but Mitch has more upside than Jimmy G if he had the right system IMHO.  Will depend how badly the Bears and their coaches could have ruined him.

Jimmy G's upside was a trip to the Super Bowl (even though he did very little on that Super Bowl run). Yet somehow I agree that Trubisky's upside is higher, while also having very little faith that he will lead the Steelers on any deep playoff runs.

NWI_Irish96

The Bears have been through QB after QB, believing that they've kept picking the wrong QB when the reality is they've consistently had one of the worst offensive lines in the league and no QB can thrive with such a bad OL.

Jim McMahon wasn't some hall of fame, super QB. He was a decent QB who had an elite offensive line and the best RB of all time.

The truth is we don't know what Trubisky can do on a team with a good OL. I don't follow the Steelers so I don't know how good their OL is.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2022, 08:09:39 AM
Yet somehow I agree that Trubisky's upside is higher, while also having very little faith that he will lead the Steelers on any deep playoff runs.

I will point out that Trubisky had the Bears in position to advance to the Divisional round in 2018-19...then the Double Doink happened.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

gr8daynegb

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 15, 2022, 08:15:50 AM
The Bears have been through QB after QB, believing that they've kept picking the wrong QB when the reality is they've consistently had one of the worst offensive lines in the league and no QB can thrive with such a bad OL.

Jim McMahon wasn't some hall of fame, super QB. He was a decent QB who had an elite offensive line and the best RB of all time.

The truth is we don't know what Trubisky can do on a team with a good OL. I don't follow the Steelers so I don't know how good their OL is.

The Steelers don't have a good O-line at this time.  But what is to their best benefit is consistency as they aren't firing their HC and coordinators almost every other year.  And they tend to draft well so he'll get a much fairer shot than he did as a Bear.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

CoreySamson

I'm watching the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes with interest. Here's what I think about what each team in the running.

- Saints: NOLA does have a somewhat good roster that nearly got them into playoff contention last year despite quarterback troubles. They're probably the team best suited to deal with any potential suspension, as Winston and Hill are both decent backups who can fill in if necessary. If they were to make a trade, I would like to see Kamara join the Texans.

- Browns: Okay, this one I do not like. No offense to Baker Mayfield, but if the Browns were to trade him I think he would cause more drama than he's worth for the Texans. I want to see the Texans rebuild under Davis Mills. Adding a similar quarterback who may be exiting his prime does not appeal to me. Maybe as part of a three-way deal this could work (Side note, if this trade were to take place who would be considered the 5th best quarterback in the NFC? Kirk Cousins?)

- Panthers: This one makes sense on all sides. Panthers need a quarterback, Deshaun Watson played college near there, Panthers can load off CMC, who I think would be a great fit for the Texans.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

^ Even though the Browns are reportedly interested in Watson, I'm not sure he would agree to play in Cleveland given his no trade clause.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.