News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The happy state of affairs in automobilia of the 2000’s, 2010’s & 2020’s

Started by Tonytone, July 15, 2020, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 17, 2020, 07:36:50 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 09:36:01 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on July 16, 2020, 06:57:10 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 15, 2020, 08:21:41 PM
Bronco 2021

I'm going to step in with the unpopular opinion and say I hate it.  Why?  It screams "To hell with aerodynamics, 'cuz aesthetics!"  I can see right through it.  It's pretentious design at its worst, capitalizing on nostalgia for selective memory of a past that lacks good reason to be resurrected--the opposite of "form follows function."
Excuse me sir. The ranger rover, trucks & all SUV's including the mega SUV HUMMER would like a word with you about "aesthetics & aerodynamics"

Oh, I know!  I've just seen hype over the 2021 Ford Bronco in other places, and I can't help but think it's way over-hyped.  It started when someone on Twitter posted about how boring the new Chevy Blazer is and implied the new Bronco is better, but it got me thinking, "Wait a second, not really."  Call the Blazer boring all you like, but at least it gave some noticeable attention to aerodynamics.

Frankly, though, all these SUVs and CUVs with nearly vertical grilles really bug me, when they could probably push the envelope even further in aerodynamic design.  If you want a tall vehicle with more vertical cargo space than what you'd get from a sedan or traditional station wagon, I really think we ought to go back to the kind of forms offered by the Toyota Previa, the original Pontiac Trans Sport concept, or maybe a less blocky iteration of the Ford Aerostar.  Modeling new cars and trucks after old-school pickups and Chevy Suburbans just seems unnecessary when 21st century auto designers could do better.
I mean to be honest. How well they are making cars nowadays with good MPG the aerodynamics can chill out a bit, since it would be only a couple miles you save on a more aerodynamic car.

Vehicles will start to be designed differently when we have new creators, example: Tesla with the new Tesla truck. That shit is fire & They may be a success, which would cause all the other car companies to start designing different vehicles & ditch the normal way.

Personally I think the vehicles in the 1950's were beautiful, style, luxury, good colors. They designed cars for people to enjoy, which they started to take advantage of in now times with different "packages"  but all the technology stuff that was poppin 20 years for luxury cars ago is now in every car.

The next step would be self driving in every vehicle.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 17, 2020, 12:11:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2020, 12:03:33 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 11:38:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 11:27:38 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 10:24:53 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 09:29:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 11:12:58 AM
Quote from: stridentweasel on July 16, 2020, 10:06:06 AM
Quote from: Henry on July 16, 2020, 09:53:26 AM
Crossovers are definitely the pick of the litter these days, although the car is hanging on for a little bit longer, mainly in the form of import models like Camry, Accord, Altima, Sentra, Civic, Corolla, Impreza, Legacy, Sonata, Elantra, Jetta, Passat, Mazda 3 and 6, plus the luxury marques Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and others. Save for Cadillac, no American automaker is building sedans these days, but they're better off with the crossovers anyway.

Why are crossovers better than sedans?  Crossovers are just tall station wagons.  If you don't need much cargo space, why bother with a station wagon in the first place?  And why make it taller when you're probably adding wind resistance and reducing cornering ability?

With a sedan, if you're just driving yourself, the seats are usually all the cargo space you need.  The trunk is there for when you have passengers with bags.  If you're going to be driving multiple passengers with lots of bags, then, sure, go for the station wagon.

I would add that I'm one of the customers that chose a sedan in favor of a CUV.  The Impreza suited my needs just fine and has a cargo capacity that worked for me.  The off road capabilities were plenty adequate for what I was looking to do as well.  So why would I want to spend the extra money to purchase a CrossTrek or Forester?  I regularly transport four or five people to places like National Parks and they seem to be comfortable in all the seats.
Because, you ever heard the phrase bigger is better? I think thats how the economy & people are thinking right now.

iPhone

People who say that don't hang out on one lane Forest Service roads.  Even the hardcore SUV guys tend to stick vehicles of smaller dimensions like the Wrangler.
Oh god. Ive seen dudes in coal rollin diesels on the c&D canel here in Delaware.

iPhone

Delaware doesn't exactly have a lot of street crew (pun intended) in the off road community.  There was lot of dudes with lifted two wheel drive trucks in Florida who thought they were badasses because they drove a road in the Green Swamp once.  On roads like the Dush Ershim OHV Trail and Shaffer Canyon Road (this is an infinitely longer list) you don't generally see monster size SUVs.  It's a different ball game when you're on a single track dirt road 9,000 feet plus in elevation facing a grade in excess of 25%.
Oh yea what you describe is real deal off roading.

Those dudes in the big Trucks would probably turn around if they saw a real off road course.

Delaware sadly does not have a real off road crew like you said, we do have a lot if "salt life"  people car shows with modded hondas, jeeps, trucks & luxury cars, as well as sub sound systems.

I do plan to bring low riders to the area though.

Also what car do you find best for off road tracks?

iPhone

Regarding off road courses there are some out here in California like the Hollister Hills SVRA, the State actually is pretty good at maintaining them interestingly.  Personally I find what can be found in the National Forests and the Mojave Desert to be much better, certainly far more an adventure.  I did the Mojave Road once with some friends years ago and it was a lot of fun.  Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and Colorado are really good places for 4WD drives or OHV stuff.  When I was really into Off Roading myself I tended to favor smaller SUVs that I could find cheap and build up.  Most people went after the CJ and drove up the price beyond what I could typically afford at the time.  I had some luck with old Chevy Blazers and even an S10 once.  The parts selection was pretty top notch and a lot of stuff could be interchanged fairly easily.  Regarding modern vehicles there are plenty of purpose made trucks like the Raptor that are meant for Off Roading.  I was fairly impressed by my Brother's Raptor when I took out it out on the dirt portion of AZ 88.  As capable as that Raptor was it also was a monster in terms of overall length and more so width.  I haven't heard many complaints about the Ecotech Twin Turbo V6 over the years which had me surprised.
Holy shit a S10 or blazer for off roading, I would never thought of that & its smart. I do like the new ford raptors, people put kits on them so im glad it's not just a for show truck & it can actually do some work.

Also it's funny you didn't mention jeep & they are primarily off roaders, how would the new jeep truck do out on those roads?

iPhone

I want to say the current Wrangler is only about 74 inches wide compared to the meaty 86 (I think?) inches on the Raptor.  The standard cab Wrangler is about 50 inches shorter than a Raptor as well.  The 3.6L Pentastar was/is pretty good in car applications but I tend to question how well it would do with low end torque (apparently it's only 260ftlbs).  From what I've seen in reviews the Wrangler does just fine off road, the Gladiator seems preforms similarly.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2020, 11:54:20 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 17, 2020, 12:11:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 17, 2020, 12:03:33 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 11:38:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 11:27:38 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 10:24:53 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 09:29:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 16, 2020, 11:12:58 AM
Quote from: Henry on July 16, 2020, 09:53:26 AM
Crossovers are definitely the pick of the litter these days, although the car is hanging on for a little bit longer, mainly in the form of import models like Camry, Accord, Altima, Sentra, Civic, Corolla, Impreza, Legacy, Sonata, Elantra, Jetta, Passat, Mazda 3 and 6, plus the luxury marques Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and others. Save for Cadillac, no American automaker is building sedans these days, but they're better off with the crossovers anyway.

Why are crossovers better than sedans?  Crossovers are just tall station wagons.  If you don't need much cargo space, why bother with a station wagon in the first place?  And why make it taller when you're probably adding wind resistance and reducing cornering ability?

With a sedan, if you're just driving yourself, the seats are usually all the cargo space you need.  The trunk is there for when you have passengers with bags.  If you're going to be driving multiple passengers with lots of bags, then, sure, go for the station wagon.

I would add that I'm one of the customers that chose a sedan in favor of a CUV.  The Impreza suited my needs just fine and has a cargo capacity that worked for me.  The off road capabilities were plenty adequate for what I was looking to do as well.  So why would I want to spend the extra money to purchase a CrossTrek or Forester?  I regularly transport four or five people to places like National Parks and they seem to be comfortable in all the seats.
Because, you ever heard the phrase bigger is better? I think thats how the economy & people are thinking right now.

iPhone

People who say that don't hang out on one lane Forest Service roads.  Even the hardcore SUV guys tend to stick vehicles of smaller dimensions like the Wrangler.
Oh god. Ive seen dudes in coal rollin diesels on the c&D canel here in Delaware.

iPhone

Delaware doesn't exactly have a lot of street crew (pun intended) in the off road community.  There was lot of dudes with lifted two wheel drive trucks in Florida who thought they were badasses because they drove a road in the Green Swamp once.  On roads like the Dush Ershim OHV Trail and Shaffer Canyon Road (this is an infinitely longer list) you don't generally see monster size SUVs.  It's a different ball game when you're on a single track dirt road 9,000 feet plus in elevation facing a grade in excess of 25%.
Oh yea what you describe is real deal off roading.

Those dudes in the big Trucks would probably turn around if they saw a real off road course.

Delaware sadly does not have a real off road crew like you said, we do have a lot if "salt life"  people car shows with modded hondas, jeeps, trucks & luxury cars, as well as sub sound systems.

I do plan to bring low riders to the area though.

Also what car do you find best for off road tracks?

iPhone

Regarding off road courses there are some out here in California like the Hollister Hills SVRA, the State actually is pretty good at maintaining them interestingly.  Personally I find what can be found in the National Forests and the Mojave Desert to be much better, certainly far more an adventure.  I did the Mojave Road once with some friends years ago and it was a lot of fun.  Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and Colorado are really good places for 4WD drives or OHV stuff.  When I was really into Off Roading myself I tended to favor smaller SUVs that I could find cheap and build up.  Most people went after the CJ and drove up the price beyond what I could typically afford at the time.  I had some luck with old Chevy Blazers and even an S10 once.  The parts selection was pretty top notch and a lot of stuff could be interchanged fairly easily.  Regarding modern vehicles there are plenty of purpose made trucks like the Raptor that are meant for Off Roading.  I was fairly impressed by my Brother's Raptor when I took out it out on the dirt portion of AZ 88.  As capable as that Raptor was it also was a monster in terms of overall length and more so width.  I haven't heard many complaints about the Ecotech Twin Turbo V6 over the years which had me surprised.
Holy shit a S10 or blazer for off roading, I would never thought of that & its smart. I do like the new ford raptors, people put kits on them so im glad it's not just a for show truck & it can actually do some work.

Also it's funny you didn't mention jeep & they are primarily off roaders, how would the new jeep truck do out on those roads?

iPhone

I want to say the current Wrangler is only about 74 inches wide compared to the meaty 86 (I think?) inches on the Raptor.  The standard cab Wrangler is about 50 inches shorter than a Raptor as well.  The 3.6L Pentastar was/is pretty good in car applications but I tend to question how well it would do with low end torque (apparently it's only 260ftlbs).  From what I've seen in reviews the Wrangler does just fine off road, the Gladiator seems preforms similarly.
https://youtu.be/cB1FZ5ksYc8

[mention]stridentweasel [/mention]
iPhone

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Tonytone on July 19, 2020, 09:31:42 AM

Hmm--  They tried the removable roof thing with the 2000s 2-seater Ford Thunderbird.  It was a PITA, and that car didn't stay on the market for a ton of years.  Removable doors make sense if you're not worried about random strangers lounging in your car when you make a pit stop.  I guess people who use those will be locking their glove compartments and hoping they didn't leave their--tablet computer or whatever portable game system is popular these days--inside the console.  I frankly never understood why the Jeep Wrangler had those, but whatever.  It sounds like they made a good decision with the EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine, but I wish I knew what kind of fuel economy it got.  If you want a car/CUV/truck with great fuel economy, Jeep is not your best model.

As for the off-roading capabilities, it gets me thinking about a topic I've been meaning to bring up at some point.  What if our economic downturn in the U.S. is so severe that we just can't afford to pave roads like we used to?  It seems like the car market could step in and offer more cars/trucks that can safely handle all the potholes, crumbling pavement, patchwork pavement, or lack of pavement, without significant wear and tear.  Can they do that and maintain speed and fuel economy?

I'm not a car expert at all.  Any optimism I had for tall cars went out the window (or the removable roof/doors) after the beautiful Pontiac Trans Sport concept from the 80s turned into the poorly built, often mocked Dustbuster minivans that you barely ever see on the road anymore, and the rest of the market went in the direction of SUVs that all too often lack serious concern for practical matters like fuel efficiency.  My childhood dream cars were big-ass Lincolns from the 70s and 80s, and the big-ass GM B-bodies that went away after 1996, but these days, I'd be more likely to pick up a Chevy Spark if I was in the market for a new vehicle.

Just some rambling, early morning thoughts.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Max Rockatansky

Regarding an economic downturn that would defer road resurfacing to a large degree, I would point to what you see in Mexico.  The main highways are paved albeit generally far below American expectations aside from an Autopista.  People still drive cars and they actually tend to be the preferred mode of transportation along with small trucks in addition to mopeds.  When you consider even basic new cars cost over $100,000 Pesos it makes sense that people buy what they can and hold onto it for a long time.  At minimum State Side we at least don't have to deal with cobblestone roads as a regular thing. 

frankenroad

Well, this old fart with bad knees can get in and out of an SUV much more easily than a sedan. 
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 20, 2020, 11:39:27 AM
Some models won't be with us for the 2021 model year in the US.
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/newsstand/curbside-newsstand-honda-fit-civic-coupe-accord-stick-shift-join-toyota-yaris-chevy-sonic-and-hyundai-accent-on-the-chopping-block/

The Honda Fit seemed like a nice, versatile, very useful car.  I'm surprised.  The Chevy Sonic, I can kind of understand.  If you're going to go small, might as well go all the way and get a Spark.

Quote from: frankenroad on July 20, 2020, 12:41:17 PM
Well, this old fart with bad knees can get in and out of an SUV much more easily than a sedan. 

I have to admit, my dad had the same issue.  In that respect, I can understand the utility of a CUV over a sedan or traditional station wagon.  Personally, I'd rather see more sleek and fuel-efficient CUVs like the Chevy Trax, but better.  My parents had a Trax for a while, and it drove just fine and got good mileage but was disappointing in practically every other aspect (especially the small side-view mirrors).

What about crossover sedans?  I don't know; maybe that would be too much of a niche market to be viable, but I'm wondering if they could have any advantage over the usual tall station wagon.

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ozarkman417

Thoughts on the new controversial BMW 4-series grille? I would take the current (19-20) 3-Series one over it, though I think it is starting to grow on me.

The new TLX was brought up a while back. I like where Acura is going with their newer vehicles, the RDX and TLX in particular. In addition to the refreshed interior, the diamond-pentagon grille is a huge upgrade from the old beaker grille. If I were to get a CUV I would get the RDX provided I had the money, one of the reasons being it has a bit more HP than competitors like the X3 or the GLC for a bit less $$.

corco

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 20, 2020, 01:12:20 PM
Thoughts on the new controversial BMW 4-series grille? I would take the current (19-20) 3-Series one over it, though I think it is starting to grow on me.

The new TLX was brought up a while back. I like where Acura is going with their newer vehicles, the RDX and TLX in particular. In addition to the refreshed interior, the diamond-pentagon grille is a huge upgrade from the old beaker grille. If I were to get a CUV I would get the RDX provided I had the money, one of the reasons being it has a bit more HP than competitors like the X3 or the GLC for a bit less $$.

I think it's crazy that despite that almost the entire world requires front license plates aside from a few states/provinces in the US and Canada, automakers continue to design vehicles that look stupid with front license plates.

I would have preferred to see the new 4-series grille debut on a higher end BMW, but it's fine.

US 89

I don't get the hype for the new Bronco. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a Wrangler rip-off.

corco

Quote from: US 89 on July 20, 2020, 03:45:35 PM
I don't get the hype for the new Bronco. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a Wrangler rip-off.

I'm glad to see some competition in the segment - I would like to purchase a basic, manual transmission SUV that has actual off-road capability in the next couple years, and while the Bronco isn't perfect either it should help to drive down the cost of both vehicles if they seriously compete with each other. This is good because the price of a Wrangler has gotten insane.

Takumi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 20, 2020, 11:39:27 AM
Some models won't be with us for the 2021 model year in the US.
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/newsstand/curbside-newsstand-honda-fit-civic-coupe-accord-stick-shift-join-toyota-yaris-chevy-sonic-and-hyundai-accent-on-the-chopping-block/

Meanwhile FCA(Fiat-Chrysler) had merged with Peugeot-Citroen/PSA.
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/17/stellantis-fca-chrysler-name-change/
Good riddance to the Civic coupe. Both it and the Accord coupe had been much less good looking to me than their sedan counterparts in recent years.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

RobbieL2415

So then the only manual options for Honda in the US are the Civic, Civic SI and Civic Type R?

Takumi

^ yes (I think the manual HR-V was dropped a year or two ago), and the latter two are notably still only available with a manual, something I think only one or two other cars in the US can say, which, like the Si and Type R, are performance variants. Off the top of my head, the Subaru STi, and the Mustang GT350 if it's still being made. I don't know if there's a manual-only version of the Camaro right now, but IIRC the last generation Z28 was. If we still got the Focus and Fiesta over here, the ST trims would be manual only, but we don't. And frankly, I'm glad, because (unpopular opinion alert) the new Focus and Fiesta are much uglier than their predecessors.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: corco on July 20, 2020, 04:07:25 PM

I'm glad to see some competition in the segment - I would like to purchase a basic, manual transmission SUV that has actual off-road capability in the next couple years, and while the Bronco isn't perfect either it should help to drive down the cost of both vehicles if they seriously compete with each other. This is good because the price of a Wrangler has gotten insane.

Wasn't trying to scoop away sales from Jeep largely always what the theme of the Bronco was?  Considering how much demand the Bronco has seen so far I would say that there is room for another body on frame SUV.

This is becoming something of a theme regarding market segments that once were considered dead having pent up demand.  The same recently happened with the reemergence of Mid-Size trucks and happened fairly recently with Muscle Cars/Pony Cars.  Does this mean there is a somewhat sizable market for a resurgence in the "real"  station wagon and mini-van?

Tonytone

Tonytone

Quote from: corco on July 20, 2020, 04:07:25 PM

The bronco is bringing some competition & new looks to the game.

Im tired of seeing Jeeps grill everywhere anyway. This will bring new designs to the market just like the tesla truck & cmon. Dont deny how cool it looks.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 21, 2020, 08:37:45 PM

iPhone

Really GM just needed a fresh nameplate, that was a mistake calling it the Blazer IMO.  That said the Blazer sold about 23k units during the 4th quarter of 2019.  In that sense Blazer turned out to be a sales hit...at least until Virus Time.   

Tonytone

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 20, 2020, 08:26:47 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 19, 2020, 09:31:42 AM

Hmm--  They tried the removable roof thing with the 2000s 2-seater Ford Thunderbird.  It was a PITA, and that car didn't stay on the market for a ton of years.  Removable doors make sense if you're not worried about random strangers lounging in your car when you make a pit stop.  I guess people who use those will be locking their glove compartments and hoping they didn't leave their--tablet computer or whatever portable game system is popular these days--inside the console.  I frankly never understood why the Jeep Wrangler had those, but whatever.  It sounds like they made a good decision with the EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine, but I wish I knew what kind of fuel economy it got.  If you want a car/CUV/truck with great fuel economy, Jeep is not your best model.

As for the off-roading capabilities, it gets me thinking about a topic I've been meaning to bring up at some point.  What if our economic downturn in the U.S. is so severe that we just can't afford to pave roads like we used to?  It seems like the car market could step in and offer more cars/trucks that can safely handle all the potholes, crumbling pavement, patchwork pavement, or lack of pavement, without significant wear and tear.  Can they do that and maintain speed and fuel economy?

I'm not a car expert at all.  Any optimism I had for tall cars went out the window (or the removable roof/doors) after the beautiful Pontiac Trans Sport concept from the 80s turned into the poorly built, often mocked Dustbuster minivans that you barely ever see on the road anymore, and the rest of the market went in the direction of SUVs that all too often lack serious concern for practical matters like fuel efficiency.  My childhood dream cars were big-ass Lincolns from the 70s and 80s, and the big-ass GM B-bodies that went away after 1996, but these days, I'd be more likely to pick up a Chevy Spark if I was in the market for a new vehicle.

Just some rambling, early morning thoughts.
This is Ford trying to bring in those jeep buyers & potential jeep buyers. They are one upping everything jeep has.

I think anyone who drives vehicles like this or convertibles know the risk of leaving items in open air.

You cant be upset/lose faith over vehicles from back in the day, they lacked the know how or money to make the car that was on the paper. So regain hope on the new vehicles.

Those are also my favorite cars from the past as well as the 1950's+ Chevy in two tones. As well as the low riders from LA. I cant wait to build one.

iPhone

Tonytone

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2020, 08:43:48 PM

iPhone

Really GM just needed a fresh nameplate, that was a mistake calling it the Blazer IMO.  That said the Blazer sold about 23k units during the 4th quarter of 2019.  In that sense Blazer turned out to be a sales hit...at least until Virus Time.
The generation after or maybe the next year blazer might have some design upgrades, this look of SUV with aerodynamics kills the new designs. I dont think people buy SUV's caring about MPG so they need to forget about aerodynamic designs.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 21, 2020, 08:55:03 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2020, 08:43:48 PM

iPhone

The generation after or maybe the next year blazer might have some design upgrades, this look of SUV with aerodynamics kills the new designs. I dont think people buy SUV's caring about MPG so they need to forget about aerodynamic designs.

iPhone

But the new Blazer is clearly CUV territory given it is based off a FWD unibody platform.  That's the problem, that nameplate comes with expectations that are contrary to what was produced.  In the case of the SUV crowd they largely saw it as a slap in the face. 

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2020, 09:37:24 PM
But the new Blazer is clearly CUV territory given it is based off a FWD unibody platform.  That's the problem, that nameplate comes with expectations that are contrary to what was produced.  In the case of the SUV crowd they largely saw it as a slap in the face. 

One could say the same about the Impala after it went from the RWD B-Body to the FWD W-Body.  One could go even farther back and say the same thing about the Pontiac Grand Prix, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and Buick Regal after they went from the RWD G-Body to the FWD W-Body.  Same for the Malibu after it was brought back in the 90s.  I have mixed feelings about re-using old names, personally.

Thing 342

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 21, 2020, 07:55:43 PM
This is becoming something of a theme regarding market segments that once were considered dead having pent up demand.  The same recently happened with the reemergence of Mid-Size trucks and happened fairly recently with Muscle Cars/Pony Cars.  Does this mean there is a somewhat sizable market for a resurgence in the "real"  station wagon and mini-van?

No. See: Buick Regal TourX, VW Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack, and the Volvo V60/V90. All recently released wagons, all currently clogging up dealer lots because nobody bought them. The only wagon that moves in any significant numbers is the Subaru Outback, and that's because it markets itself as an SUV.

As far as I can tell, nobody has any nostalgia for the station wagons of yore except navel-gazing Jalopnik readers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.