News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rocheport I-70 Missouri River Crossing

Started by roadman65, November 25, 2020, 11:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

kphoger

What are the current requirements for new-construction bridges?  Are they still allowed to have inadequate shoulders?  I can't remember.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Ned Weasel

Kind of bittersweet because, in my opinion, that bridge is the highlight of driving I-70 across Missouri.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

edwaleni

Quote from: kphoger on November 25, 2020, 02:15:31 PM
What are the current requirements for new-construction bridges?  Are they still allowed to have inadequate shoulders?  I can't remember.

Design won't be seen until June/July 2021 timeframe when the design/build proposals are unsealed.

Hopefully they will make the bridge architecturally significant. Design/Build typically is a rush to the lowest common denominator in bridge design. (read: low cost, boring)

mvak36

https://www.modot.org/node/22025

MoDOT Moves Ones Step Closer to Building a New I-70 Rocheport Bridge

JEFFERSON CITY — Following an extensive evaluation process, four qualified teams have been selected to compete for the contract to design and construct a new Missouri River Bridge on Interstate 70 near Rocheport.

The Missouri Department of Transportation has received Statements of Qualification from potential design-build teams for the Rocheport Bridge project.

"We are very pleased with the interest we received in working on the Rocheport Bridge project. The four short-listed teams are all very experienced and capable of producing a successful project,"  said Project Director Brandi Baldwin. "We look forward to moving forward in the process and selecting the final design-build team."

The following teams (in no particular order) were selected to further develop their proposals on the project:

• Traylor-Ames Joint Venture Team - Traylor Brothers, Inc.; Jacobs Engineering Group, Inc.; Ames Construction, Inc.
  • American Bridge/Garver Team - American Bridge Company; Garver, LLC; Hg Consult, Inc.; Terracon
  • Rocheport Bridge Constructors - Massman Construction Company; HNTB Corporation; Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc.
  • Lunda Team - Lunda Construction Co.; Parsons Transportation Group, Inc.; Dan Brown & Associates; Hugh Zeng United

There are still opportunities for additional consultants and subcontracting firms to be added to each team. A networking opportunity for Disadvantaged Business Enterprises will be offered this spring.

Design-build projects combine both the design and construction phases into one contract. The selected team completes the design and construction in parallel instead of in succession. MoDOT provides the project goals, budget and schedule, and the contractor team conducts the work. This technique has been known to significantly save time and money. For more information about design-build or to see other similar project across the state, visit www.modot.org/design-build-information

This $240 million project was made possible by the July 2019 award of a $81.2 million Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. The project will replace the existing I-70 bridge as well as reconstruct the Route BB interchange just east of the bridge.

MoDOT has established design-build goals for the project. The contractor team will be selected using an apparent best-value process to determine the team who can best meet or beat the goals.  To view the full list of goals and project timeline visit www.modot.org/RocheportBridge.

MoDOT will issue the request for proposal later this month. Proposals will be due in June and the design-build team is expected to be selected in July, with construction beginning as early as later this year with completion by the end of 2024.

For more information or to sign up for updates on the I-70 Missouri River Bridge at Rocheport, please visit the project webpage at: www.modot.org/RocheportBridge

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

bwana39

It should be built with 4 12' lanes (2x2) with 10' outer shoulders and either 4 or 6' inner shoulders.  They might opt for 3x3 biut the shoulders should remain at 10' and 4 or 6'.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

skluth

Quote from: bwana39 on March 18, 2021, 05:59:56 PM
It should be built with 4 12' lanes (2x2) with 10' outer shoulders and either 4 or 6' inner shoulders.  They might opt for 3x3 biut the shoulders should remain at 10' and 4 or 6'.

MODOT still has a long term goal of widening I-70 either by making it at least six lanes across the state or a separate parallel truck highway of some sort. I think the parallel highway for trucks would be an insane waste of money and land. OTOH, six lanes across the state is both realistic and something that MODOT should be actively working, even if it's one short stretch rebuilt at a time. One stretch would be the Missouri River crossing at Rocheport where building a six lane bridge (minimum) should be a required objective. Even better would be six lanes with the ability to widen it to eight lanes.

edwaleni

Quote from: skluth on March 19, 2021, 04:29:12 PM

MODOT still has a long term goal of widening I-70 either by making it at least six lanes across the state or a separate parallel truck highway of some sort. I think the parallel highway for trucks would be an insane waste of money and land. OTOH, six lanes across the state is both realistic and something that MODOT should be actively working, even if it's one short stretch rebuilt at a time. One stretch would be the Missouri River crossing at Rocheport where building a six lane bridge (minimum) should be a required objective. Even better would be six lanes with the ability to widen it to eight lanes.

I can't see dedicated truck lanes across the state, but I could most definitely see some dedicated truck lanes where the grades are more challenging.

It would probably cost billions, but I-70 needs some flattening out in certain places. Too many up and downs. Not as bad as I-44 however.

rte66man

Quote from: edwaleni on March 21, 2021, 02:40:40 PM

I can't see dedicated truck lanes across the state, but I could most definitely see some dedicated truck lanes where the grades are more challenging.

It would probably cost billions, but I-70 needs some flattening out in certain places. Too many up and downs. Not as bad as I-44 however.

Many parts of 44 subsumed the 4-lane US66 in part or in total, especially between Lebanon and Rolla where 66 had been built on a new alignment from the original. Since much of that was done in the 40's and 50's, it makes sense they didn't flatten it out more. OK has the same problem with the Turner Turnpike between OKC and Tulsa.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rte66man on March 22, 2021, 04:56:49 PM

Many parts of 44 subsumed the 4-lane US66 in part or in total, especially between Lebanon and Rolla where 66 had been built on a new alignment from the original. Since much of that was done in the 40's and 50's, it makes sense they didn't flatten it out more. OK has the same problem with the Turner Turnpike between OKC and Tulsa.
Didn't they improve the grade of the portion from Tulsa to Bristol?

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 22, 2021, 07:08:16 PM

Didn't they improve the grade of the portion from Tulsa to Bristol Bristow?

FTFY

Not to any great degree that I could tell.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rte66man on March 22, 2021, 07:53:07 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 22, 2021, 07:08:16 PM

Didn't they improve the grade of the portion from Tulsa to Bristol Bristow?

FTFY

Not to any great degree that I could tell.
Thanks for the correction. Hmmm, shame. I thought that since the widened roadway to six lanes and came with an 80MPH speed limit they would have improved the grade changes.

Plutonic Panda

Update with a rendering:

https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/modot-picks-design-build-contractor-for-new-i-70-bridge/53386

I know MODOT isn't flush with cash but would have been cool to see a unique design like a suspension bridge or something to spruce up the boring drive from KC to STL.

Revive 755

^ Or something with a slightly longer main span and less piers in the river for barges to hit.

edwaleni

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 03, 2021, 05:12:08 PM
Update with a rendering:

https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/modot-picks-design-build-contractor-for-new-i-70-bridge/53386

I know MODOT isn't flush with cash but would have been cool to see a unique design like a suspension bridge or something to spruce up the boring drive from KC to STL.

Just another example of where design-build equals BORING.

Utility & cheap wins out over a small level of aesthetic.

Plutonic Panda

It definitely seems like one of the major interstates crossing the largest river in the country warrants a more unique bridge.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 03, 2021, 05:12:08 PM
Update with a rendering:

I know MODOT isn’t flush with cash but would have been cool to see a unique design like a suspension bridge or something to spruce up the boring drive from KC to STL.
Design looks boring to me. Yawn.

It's better than the new EB US 40/61 Missouri River bridge still imo, as it's at least uniform in the Rocheport example. Was really hoping for MoDOT to replicate the truss design of the WB span (former EB) onto the new EB span, but nope, it's pretty much an elongated generic highway overpass.

kphoger

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 04, 2021, 01:25:48 PM

It's better than the new EB US 40/61 Missouri River bridge still imo, as it's at least uniform in the Rocheport example. Was really hoping for MoDOT to replicate the truss design of the WB span (former EB) onto the new EB span, but nope, it's pretty much an elongated generic highway overpass.

From what I gather from my bridge engineer friend, truss bridges are white elephants.  Nobody wants them because they're so costly to maintain.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2021, 01:35:52 PM

From what I gather from my bridge engineer friend, truss bridges are white elephants.  Nobody wants them because they're so costly to maintain.
Looks like that could be the case from how many truss bridges I've seen get replaced with something more elegant like cable-stayed, or something more boring like the proposed Rocheport bridge here. Kind of wondering why truss bridges were so popular and frequently used when the interstate system was built back in the 60s and even before that, and like the cloverleaf, how it fell out of fashion today.

kphoger

If I remember correctly, engineers back then weren't sure if cable-stayed bridges were even appropriate for large spans such as major river crossings along Interstates.  That development has been more recent.
Male pronouns, please.

Chris

The U.S. has been a little behind with the construction of cable-stayed bridges. Many river crossings in Europe were built with cable-stayed bridges from the mid-1960s onward. The Rocheport Bridge is a little older, completed in 1960 so it was designed a few years before cable-stayed bridges became more common for such spans.

The Rocheport Bridge has a main span of 550 ft. For example the Rhine Bridge in Leverkusen, Germany is a cable-stayed bridge built in 1965. It has a nearly 1,000 ft span.

edwaleni

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 04, 2021, 01:42:22 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2021, 01:35:52 PM

Looks like that could be the case from how many truss bridges I've seen get replaced with something more elegant like cable-stayed, or something more boring like the proposed Rocheport bridge here. Kind of wondering why truss bridges were so popular and frequently used when the interstate system was built back in the 60s and even before that, and like the cloverleaf, how it fell out of fashion today.

The technology in pre-stressed pre-formed concrete beams has come a long way. They are preferred because they hold up longer than steel truss or sections, don't need to be painted, handle/absorb seismic and road stresses better and the biggest part is that they are extremely cheap to fabricate to spec.

The limitation is that they can't span certain distances and still maintain some of the above properties. This is where a steel beam usually takes its place. But it has to be painted, inspected often and doesn't absorb stress as well.

As for why trusses were once popular and aren't anymore, is really about weight relative to the steel cross section. To get a bridge to distribute its weight properly, you would either have to build enourmous steel sections which then requires a large support pylon for the weight, or use a weaker steel and spread the stress more equally, which allows pylons that are smaller.

Today, steel is much stronger, but trusses require joints to flex those stresses. Those joints rust, crack and fail and need to be replaced. That explains the desire to move to cable stayed concrete.

Plutonic Panda

Video with some more details on the overall project:

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/local/modot-outlines-rocheport-bridge-plans/article_a495d396-fae1-11eb-bc43-6bbe10ee8137.html

After this it should be fairly simply to widen the rest of the interstate to 6 lanes between STL and KC, no?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.