News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unpopular opinions (non road related)

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 30, 2021, 09:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

There is too much equating between innovative and great. Sgt. Pepper was a very innovative and groundbreaking album, but was far from the Beatles' greatest musical work put to a record.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 27, 2021, 04:49:35 PM
There is too much equating between innovative and great. Sgt. Pepper was a very innovative and groundbreaking album, but was far from the Beatles' greatest musical work put to a record.

And sometimes people can't help innovating when they should leave well enough alone. That is, the old "we were so busy thinking about whether we could that we never stopped to think whether we should." Yes, it's very innovative that you can replace all the buttons on a car radio with a touch screen, or that you can make a proprietary combo charging port/audio jack, but should you?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Trader Joe's is basically an upscale Aldi.

(I'm totally serious. It's even owned by Aldi Nord, which is not the same company as US Aldi, as the founding Albrecht, the Al in Aldi, brothers split the company in the 1960s. The US is the only company aside from Germany in which both Aldi branches operate.)

(Full disclosure, I work for Aldi.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

ALDI has gotten noticeably better in product quality in the last decade or so.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

Aldi is a supermarket chain local to me, now branded as Supermercados AltoAragón but still widely referred to as "Aldi".
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 29, 2021, 02:46:16 PM
Aldi is a supermarket chain local to me, now branded as Supermercados AltoAragón but still widely referred to as "Aldi".

...and it's a completely separate company than Aldi in the US! Spain's Aldi is "Aldi Nord", while the U.S.'s Aldi is "Aldi Süd".

CNGL-Leudimin

You are getting it wrong. Supermercados AltoAragón is totally unrelated to the German Aldi ("Fake Aldi" as I know it). However the part about the German Aldi is correct.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 29, 2021, 06:12:43 PM
Perkins Union > Alanland

Perkins Union > Denny's Democratic Dictatorship

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 29, 2021, 05:58:22 PM
You are getting it wrong. Supermercados AltoAragón is totally unrelated to the German Aldi ("Fake Aldi" as I know it). However the part about the German Aldi is correct.

Why do people call it Aldi if it isn't Aldi?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 29, 2021, 06:21:24 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 29, 2021, 06:14:20 PM
Perkins Union > Alanland

What's that?

The DDD emerged from a war between the International House of Pain-cakes and Guy Fieri.

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 29, 2021, 07:06:20 PM
Perkins Union > Alanland

What's that?

The DDD emerged from a war between the International House of Pain-cakes and Guy Fieri.

Soon to be succeeded by the DDDDD, the Dunkin Donuts-Denny's Democratic Domination.

Big John

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2021, 07:11:12 PM
Perkins Union > Alanland

What's that?

Soon to be succeeded by the DDDDD, the Dunkin Donuts-Denny's Democratic Domination.
Dunkin' has dropped Donuts from its name.

vdeane

Perkins Union > Alanland
The Perkins Union thread was so much fun to read over when I finally got into it (well after the original Perkins Union mania shifted to Alanland, alas).  Too bad the original sign pictures are no longer up - those would have been interesting to see.  I thought it was hilarious how much the OP protested people talking about roadside executions and the like only to later post a "news" story from the Perkins Union about a nightclub owner being burned at the stake for criminal negligence.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on May 29, 2021, 09:01:32 PM
Perkins Union > Alanland
The Perkins Union thread was so much fun to read over when I finally got into it (well after the original Perkins Union mania shifted to Alanland, alas).  Too bad the original sign pictures are no longer up - those would have been interesting to see.  I thought it was hilarious how much the OP protested people talking about roadside executions and the like only to later post a "news" story from the Perkins Union about a nightclub owner being burned at the stake for criminal negligence.
Where were the pics hosted?

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 29, 2021, 09:07:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 29, 2021, 09:01:32 PM
Perkins Union > Alanland
Where were the pics hosted?

They were on a Microsoft OneDrive account. I went through the Perkins Union thread not too long after the Alanland thread reopened, and it was possible to root around and find some of the images due to their inclusion in downloadable PowerPoint files, but the effort wasn't really worth the payoff.

Quote from: Big John on May 29, 2021, 08:28:25 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2021, 07:11:12 PM
Dunkin' has dropped Donuts from its name.

Oh, I'm sorry my one-sentence post about Dunkin Donuts merging with Denny's and starting an authoritarian state wasn't accurate enough for you. :P

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2021, 06:43:55 PM
Why do people call it Aldi if it isn't Aldi?

Because it was formerly branded Aldi. They changed the same year Aldi Süd entered Spain, they should have forced the Germans to take another name in Spain (much like Burger King in Australia is called Hungry Jack's). Barbastro is AFAIK the only place in the world to have both.

Roadgeekteen

andrepoiy

I agree with Android>iPhone, also Windows>MacOS

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 30, 2021, 02:54:54 PM
I agree with Android>iPhone, also Windows>MacOS
Agree on both but I don't think that the second one is unpopular.

Scott5114

One of my friends works in an all-Mac environment and has come to hate OS X with a fiery passion. But it is built on a Unix kernel (Darwin) and therefore includes a POSIX-compatible shell (bash and I think in recent versions zsh). So my friend frequently sends me messages asking how to use the shell to get around the brain-damaged parts of the OS X interface, and I've sent her care packages of bash scripts that let her do what she needs to do more quickly.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

wanderer2575

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 28, 2021, 11:58:31 AM
I don't see how Trader Joe's has become successful as it is, considering how they only sell one brand of products, their own. That works for something like a clothing store or an electronics company, but I still don't get how it works for something like supermarket retail, which is literally just a collection of brands under one roof (at least traditionally).

Multiple varieties or other recipe variations is one thing, but how many different brands do you really need?  I think it's ridiculous when I walk down the aisle of my local Kroger and see, for example, 14 brands of plain kidney beans.

US71

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 31, 2021, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 28, 2021, 11:58:31 AM
I don't see how Trader Joe's has become successful as it is, considering how they only sell one brand of products, their own. That works for something like a clothing store or an electronics company, but I still don't get how it works for something like supermarket retail, which is literally just a collection of brands under one roof (at least traditionally).

Multiple varieties or other recipe variations is one thing, but how many different brands do you really need?  I think it's ridiculous when I walk down the aisle of my local Kroger and see, for example, 14 brands of plain kidney beans.

Most are subsidiary brands of a major brand. The irregular or broken ones go in the cheaper brand cans.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.