News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Bless You"

Started by hbelkins, May 11, 2021, 08:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

One of my friends says "Bless You" if you cut a fart.
Very funny.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

texaskdog

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 12, 2021, 04:37:55 PM
Very funny.

Why do we say bless you when someone sneezes but we get disgusted when someone farts?  Really sneezes are more disgusting.  We should indeed start blessing farts.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 04:20:16 PM
My mom tends to follow up "bless you" with "double bless you" and "triple bless you" if you keep sneezing. I think when I was really small I got a quadruple-bless-you and was very curious what she was going to say on the fifth one because I didn't know the word that comes after quadruple. But of course, I stopped sneezing at that point, and I guess I didn't just ask her what came next.

Neither me or my wife are religious, so we don't say "bless you" to a sneeze. Most often we don't acknowledge it at all, other than perhaps an "are you all right?" on a multiple-sneeze occurrence.

At my wife's old workplace, there was an instance once where someone was on the phone and another person was in the midst of one of those loud multiple-sneeze occurrences, so the guy on the phone turned and said exasperatedly, "Shut the fuck up!" Everyone else in the office thought this was hilarious, so it became their go-to response when someone sneezed, rather than "bless you".

for the win!

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on May 12, 2021, 04:40:17 PM
Why do we say bless you when someone sneezes but we get disgusted when someone farts?  Really sneezes are more disgusting.  We should indeed start blessing farts.

I'm imagining a local priest deciding to bless people's farts one day each year.  And a line of gassy people waiting in line to be blessed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: Takumi on May 12, 2021, 10:03:26 AM
I had a college professor who would absolutely lose it if someone said “bless you” in his class.

Mr Nakasone didn't tolerate yawning.  We all got good at yawn suppression.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

QuoteMy mom tends to follow up "bless you" with "double bless you" and "triple bless you" if you keep sneezing. I think when I was really small I got a quadruple-bless-you and was very curious what she was going to say on the fifth one because I didn't know the word that comes after quadruple. But of course, I stopped sneezing at that point, and I guess I didn't just ask her what came next.

I say "double Gesundheit" because well German.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 04:41:42 PM

I'm imagining a local priest deciding to bless people's farts one day each year.  And a line of gassy people waiting in line to be blessed.

I think it's that perception that sneezes can't be helped.  But try and hold in a fart once.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 04:26:18 PM
Neither me or my wife are religious, so we don't say "bless you" to a sneeze. Most often we don't acknowledge it at all, other than perhaps an "are you all right?" on a multiple-sneeze occurrence.

Well, I am religious, but I've never thought of saying 'Bless you' after a sneeze to be an actual religious benediction.  I guess, to me, religiosity and saying 'Bless you' after a sneeze don't really correlate.

Same. In high school one of my classmates was an atheist and he would always say "bless you"  after someone sneezed because he thought it was polite.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Well, I am religious, but I've never thought of saying 'Bless you' after a sneeze to be an actual religious benediction.  I guess, to me, religiosity and saying 'Bless you' after a sneeze don't really correlate.

I don't imagine most religious people do, or at least don't intend for it to be an actual direct request for their deity to intervene. We just kind of had a conversation one day about how unusual saying the phrase "bless you" was when the person both saying and receiving it don't believe there to be a rational being with the ability to issue a blessing to begin with.  We kind of searched around for a suitable secular substitute, and, finding none, just kind of stopped the practice.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 12, 2021, 04:37:55 PM
Very funny.

Sneezes typically don't have a terrible smell associated with them. On the other hand, you never know if flatulence is going to be odorless or if it's going to set off pollution control warnings.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 06:36:37 PM

I don't imagine most religious people do, or at least don't intend for it to be an actual direct request for their deity to intervene. ...

To me, it's not so much a matter of religiosity as it is a lack of connectivity between a sneeze and the need for a blessing in the first place.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on May 12, 2021, 07:44:12 PM

I don't imagine most religious people do, or at least don't intend for it to be an actual direct request for their deity to intervene. ...

To me, it's not so much a matter of religiosity as it is a lack of connectivity between a sneeze and the need for a blessing in the first place.

The story I heard was that the practice arose during the Plague in Europe, when someone sneezing may have been ill with it, and if they were, death was likely. So saying "bless you" was a hope that they would avoid death, or that if they died that whatever post-death experience they got to have would be pleasant.

By rough analogy, it's like if you heard someone with a dry cough in spring 2020 and said "Hope you can find a ventilator" or something like that.

webny99

Dang, that sounds grim. I'll try not to think about that next time I sneeze. (Read: that will be all I think about while sneezing from now on!)

adventurernumber1

This is one of those things of which I was never aware of the source of how it originated (until now), and thus had never really thought about it. I am not superstitious in the least, so this was always just of cultural habit.

Now that I think about it, I hardly ever say "bless you," but if someone says it to me I'll always reply "thank you." But I hardly ever say "excuse me" either, not as a matter of rudeness, but it just comes natural to me to not bring attention to the minor myriad bodily occurrences. Having acid reflux, if I said "excuse me" after every time I belched, it would probably get pretty tiresome pretty quickly (both for me and the people having to hear it). I just let it pass, quietly if possible, and don't dwell on it.

Interestingly, "Gesundheit" is actually the only word I know in German, probably since it is so common to hear after sneezes.

Quote from: texaskdog on May 12, 2021, 04:49:03 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 12, 2021, 10:03:26 AM
I had a college professor who would absolutely lose it if someone said "bless you"  in his class.

Mr Nakasone didn't tolerate yawning.  We all got good at yawn suppression.

I would not fare well in that class.  :-D

Not only am I not good at yawn suppression, but yawns are most often not indicative of whether I'm bored or disengaged - instead, I'm likely just fatigued or sleepy. And with that being very common, I end up yawning quite frequently.  :paranoid:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Duke87

Growing up my parents tried really hard to teach me it was polite if someone sneezed to say "god bless you" (all three of those words!). I was always extremely resistant to the idea since it seemed stupid and pointless, and would straight up yell at people for saying it to me.

Eventually as a young adult I begrudgingly got into the habit, usually of saying "gesundheit" in order to avoid any religious implication, in order to try to act normal for the sake of career development and dating.

But now that I'm happily married and in a stable career position, I don't really feel like expending effort trying to pretend I'm normal anymore. So I'm back to mostly just ignoring people when they sneeze, or perhaps if they sneeze repeatedly saying something like "hey knock it off".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

74/171FAN

QuoteBut now that I'm happily married and in a stable career position, I don't really feel like expending effort trying to pretend I'm normal anymore. So I'm back to mostly just ignoring people when they sneeze, or perhaps if they sneeze repeatedly saying something like "hey knock it off".

As someone that deals with allergies, I have no issue with being ignored.  I try to have napkins, tissues, or paper towels near me at all times because I expect myself to sneeze (or at least blow my nose) almost daily.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on May 12, 2021, 05:29:22 PM
But try and hold in a fart once.

I can't do it.  But my wife can.  Sometimes it "goes back in" and doesn't come out till much later.  I think that's her superpower.
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2021, 09:58:39 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 12, 2021, 05:29:22 PM
But try and hold in a fart once.

I can't do it.  But my wife can.  Sometimes it "goes back in" and doesn't come out till much later.  I think that's her superpower.

In the rarest of circumstances where farting would be *extremely* frowned upon socially, I will make the effort to hold one in.  But most of the time I agree with Shrek's thought process: "Better out than in!"

Peter Griffin, however, is quite good at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fm8G_734w
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2021, 09:57:39 AM
:hmmm:
We kind of searched around for a suitable secular substitute

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 12, 2021, 07:48:37 PM
ventilator

Really, "gesundheit"  or "salud"  would work since they mean "health" .
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Does anyone ever hear bless you for coughing?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

ventilator

We had the discussion like five years before covid existed. There was a time before covid, as unlikely as it may seem now. :spin:

Quote from: Takumi on May 13, 2021, 02:48:36 PM
Really, "gesundheit"  or "salud"  would work since they mean "health" .

See, we didn't know that at the time (I don't think "salud" came up at all). Now we've just kind of gotten used to not saying anything, though.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 13, 2021, 02:53:54 PM
Does anyone ever hear bless you for coughing?

↓    ↓    ↓    ↓    ↓

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 02:11:51 PM
I used to say 'Bless you' when people coughed.  I didn't know till about age 20 (or later) that it was only for sneezes.  Such complicated rules of social etiquette...
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

ventilator

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 13, 2021, 02:57:56 PM
We had the discussion like five years before covid existed. There was a time before covid, as unlikely as it may seem now. :spin:

Well, yes, I assumed so.  I just meant that maybe your search is over.  You've found your secular substitute.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.