AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Ohio 161 Expansion for New Intel Plant  (Read 1597 times)

TempoNick

• Last Login: May 24, 2022, 10:31:01 PM
Ohio 161 Expansion for New Intel Plant
« on: January 22, 2022, 12:49:36 AM »

The newspaper articles I've been reading about the new $20 billion dollar Intel plant coming to New Albany say that the state of Ohio has committed money to expanding Ohio 161. I'm assuming that means additional lanes and/or exits? Anybody have information on this?

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 08:24:30 PM
Re: Ohio 161 Expansion for New Intel Plant
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 01:22:43 AM »

I think OH 161 may be 6 laned deeper into New Albany, as it current narrows to 4 lanes just east of the Hamilton Rd exit (barely entering New Albany). I don't know the exact location of the Intel plant, so not sure if a new exit will be needed or not.
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

ibagli

• Last Login: Today at 05:51:26 AM
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 02:02:54 AM »

The plant is going to be off of Mink Street, which had an exit added in 2017, so I assume it means six lanes at least to there.

I think there would eventually be implications for US-62 between New Albany and Johnstown as well. I'm not sure how literally to take the renderings on this, but they show Green Chapel Road and Mink Street both being six lanes with medians near the site, and I imagine there would be quite a bit of traffic trying to access it from the west.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 02:22:39 AM by ibagli »

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Your roadmeet didn't happen, if I was not there.

• Last Login: Today at 11:28:04 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 12:31:15 PM »

The newspaper articles I've been reading about the new $20 billion dollar Intel plant coming to New Albany say that the state of Ohio has committed money to expanding Ohio 161. I'm assuming that means additional lanes and/or exits? Anybody have information on this?

Beyond ODOT director Jack "I'm a radio DJ on Sundays" Marchbanks stating that Oh 161 would be widen to 6 lanes out to the chip plant, I haven't heard as to any other plans for roads.
Less important than dead cats.

TempoNick

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 04:27:28 PM »

Beyond ODOT director Jack "I'm a radio DJ on Sundays" Marchbanks stating that Oh 161 would be widen to 6 lanes out to the chip plant, I haven't heard as to any other plans for roads.

I think it needs to be widened a few miles east of there because of the potential bottlenecks created when you go from 3 to 2 lanes.

skluth

• Last Login: Today at 08:12:26 PM
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 05:46:53 PM »

I think it needs to be widened a few miles east of there because of the potential bottlenecks created when you go from 3 to 2 lanes.
All that's needed is to replace those stoplights at the end of the Mink Rd ramps with nice modern roundabouts!  :bigass:

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: Today at 07:01:26 PM
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 03:17:35 PM »

I wonder which way truck traffic from the plant to I-70 east will go and vice versa.

Google likes OH 161 to OH 37 as the fastest route. 161-270 would include some out of the way backtracking but would be on freeways the whole time. OH 310 and/or Mink Rd to US 40 are more direct but aren't the best quality roads and go through more congested areas.

Do big deals like this one ever include stipulations as to which way truck traffic should move in situations like this?

Edit to add, I now notice that there is already an industrial park just to the west of this future plant, so I would imagine that typical traffic patterns for trucks going to and from this area is already well established.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:55:32 PM by Buck87 »

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 03:08:32 AM »

All that's needed is to replace those stoplights at the end of the Mink Rd ramps with nice modern roundabouts!  :bigass:

Those will be coming (within the decade)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 03:21:45 AM »

I wonder which way truck traffic from the plant to I-70 east will go and vice versa.

Google likes OH 161 to OH 37 as the fastest route. 161-270 would include some out of the way backtracking but would be on freeways the whole time. OH 310 and/or Mink Rd to US 40 are more direct but aren't the best quality roads and go through more congested areas.

Do big deals like this one ever include stipulations as to which way truck traffic should move in situations like this?

I'm sure there will be promises made (and maybe contracts drawn) in regards to any truck traffic that could go south through Pataskala. A bypass, or rerouted Oh 310 would be ideal, but Pataskala is so sprawled out, where would ODOT build a road without eating up exaggerated land costs (due to a myriad of housing)
(They wouldn't make the trucks go east to Newark and then follow Oh 79 south to I-70, would they?)

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 11:18:29 PM
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 04:13:02 PM »

It's too bad Ohio isn't interested in any new Interstate corridors or the OH 161/37/16 corridor would be an ideal corridor for a 3di. If the at-grades on 16 at Dayton Rd., Marne Rd., and the Marne/Brownsville Rd. SE intersections were eliminated, among other upgrades, would have been sufficient for a Columbus-to-Trinway Interstate corridor.

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 08:24:30 PM
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 05:07:00 PM »

It's too bad Ohio isn't interested in any new Interstate corridors or the OH 161/37/16 corridor would be an ideal corridor for a 3di. If the at-grades on 16 at Dayton Rd., Marne Rd., and the Marne/Brownsville Rd. SE intersections were eliminated, among other upgrades, would have been sufficient for a Columbus-to-Trinway Interstate corridor.
I remember reading a while ago that long-term plans are for a 4 lane expressway between Columbus and Pittsburgh along OH 161/OH 16/US 36/US 250/US 22. Not sure if that idea died out or not, but if "I-73" in Ohio gives a clue to anything, I'm guessing so.
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 11:50:55 PM »

I remember reading a while ago that long-term plans are for a 4 lane expressway between Columbus and Pittsburgh along OH 161/OH 16/US 36/US 250/US 22. Not sure if that idea died out or not, but if "I-73" in Ohio gives a clue to anything, I'm guessing so.

And this shocks you?!
http://www.roadfan.com/ohiomaps.html (7 different state maps of highway proposals from 1946-1974 & some 1962 Rand McNally)

TempoNick

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »

It doesn't look like such a great route because you have to go North to Coshocton and then you kind of have to go south to Steubenville and Pittsburgh. It would make more sense taking Ohio 16 to US 22 and then US 22 to Pittsburgh, but I doubt such a road is needed.

US 23 being all freeway is definitely needed.

Ted$8roadFan

• Last Login: Today at 07:18:46 AM
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 07:03:28 AM »

Story about Columbus following the Intel announcement.

https://www.governing.com/community/america-discovers-columbus-ohio

kalvado

• Last Login: Today at 09:59:33 PM
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »

A bit late for the discussion... A nearby Global Foundries big fab (Fab 8 in Malta NY) is located off I-87. Fab itself is served by 2-lane roads. A few of those were purpose built as the site was a mostly greenfield development, but nothing really major. Interstate didn't get too much extra traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.