News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Take Your Health Seriously

Started by NWI_Irish96, February 23, 2022, 07:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

This post is meant to be an informative warning--I don't do this seeking sympathy.

I've always struggled with weight. I'm 6' 1" tall (1.85 m for our Canadian and European friends). Through high school, I was a student manager on the football team, played on the golf team, and golfed 3-4 times a week every summer (almost always walking, very rarely riding a cart). Even though I was moderately active, I was 220 lbs (99.8 kg) when I graduated high school.

Then in college golfing with friends got replaced by playing Madden (the original) with friends, and eating home cooked meals was replaced by dining hall food and lots of pizza. The freshmen 15 was more like the freshmen 40 for me, and by the time I graduated I weighed at least 300 lbs (136.1 kg), but I was never really weighing myself so I can't be sure.

After college and grad school, I was living by myself and the bad eating and exercise habits continued. I was close to 400 lbs (181.4 kg) when I got married at age 29. My wife was also really fat so that really didn't help things any as we both just accepted each other as is.

A few years after getting married, my wife finally got tired of being fat and got gastric bypass surgery. She encouraged me to get it as well, but I had a very irrational fear of general anesthesia. I feared being put under and never waking up. Plus I had the stubborn notion that I could beat this without surgery, despite the years of evidence to the contrary.

Finally at age 36, I agreed to get a lap band after reaching 465 lbs (210.9 kg). I'll leave it to you to google that if you want to know exactly what it is. It was the least effective surgical option available but also the least risky so that's why I chose it. It was moderately successful, as I lost 150 lbs (68.0 kg) over 7 years and then maintained after that.

Late in 2020, my lab band slipped and entirely cut off my esophagus from my stomach. I had to have it removed. For the first time in 10 years, my stomach had no restrictions. COVID lengthened the time it took to get me scheduled for a gastric bypass surgery, and I gained back almost all of the weight I'd lost.

That puts me were I am today, 8 days removed from a gastric bypass surgery. What a miserable experience. Had to go on a pure liquid protein diet for 2 weeks before the surgery just to get my risk down to a level where the surgeon would do the operation. Have a post-op wound that has to be redressed twice a day for 2-4 more weeks. Have no appetite and still only consuming liquids post-surgery. Hard to sit comfortably. Hard to lie down and sleep comfortably. Have to pee every 2 hours. Have a long recovery ahead. Probably at least 2-3 months before I can consider restarting road clinching trips.

TL DR version: Getting fat is really bad for you. Don't let it happen to you. If you can't find other motivation to stay healthy, use my experience.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

In_Correct

While no where near as obese as what O.P. typed, Daniel Streetworkout apparently does not want to be as fat as his parents thus he be came Daniel Streetworkout. He seems to be the only guy that does these Self Improvement Videos and stays with them. Other peoples might have Drug Relapses or some thing that causes them to lose motivation.

That is one of my goals to be come more as he is, even eventually to post the similar videos. I am also considering Mixed Martial Arts and Cross Fit facilities.

I was raised by Very Sickly Peoples; one of them died in Hospital Bed with Morbid Obesity, Diabetes, Most Likely Type II Diabetes, and Drug Addictions. I have seen what happened, and am fearful of it happening to me.

Diet is also equally important. I take Mega Vitamins. Also, I grow and cook foods, that is not unlike Manjula's Kitchen. Additionally, I have opposed Added Sugars, which have also assisted in my Fat Loss. I am tempted to bother Walmart Bakery to see if their French Bread with 1 G Sugars and 0 G Added Sugars actually does not contain Added Sugars, or if it might be a typo. Walmart is otherwise very good at labeling their products with No Added Sugars.

And I can not stress enough that Cafeteria / Food Court / Dining Hall foods from Education Facilities are most certainly far from Healthy. Even Ramen Noodles, that have been furnished in Dorm Rooms (!) contains Added Sugars.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

golden eagle

Quote from: In_Correct on February 23, 2022, 09:08:56 PM
Even Ramen Noodles, that have been furnished in Dorm Rooms (!) contains Added Sugars.

And is loaded in sodium.

abefroman329

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 23, 2022, 07:12:06 PM
This post is meant to be an informative warning--I don't do this seeking sympathy.

I've always struggled with weight. I'm 6' 1" tall (1.85 m for our Canadian and European friends). Through high school, I was a student manager on the football team, played on the golf team, and golfed 3-4 times a week every summer (almost always walking, very rarely riding a cart). Even though I was moderately active, I was 220 lbs (99.8 kg) when I graduated high school.

Then in college golfing with friends got replaced by playing Madden (the original) with friends, and eating home cooked meals was replaced by dining hall food and lots of pizza. The freshmen 15 was more like the freshmen 40 for me, and by the time I graduated I weighed at least 300 lbs (136.1 kg), but I was never really weighing myself so I can't be sure.

After college and grad school, I was living by myself and the bad eating and exercise habits continued. I was close to 400 lbs (181.4 kg) when I got married at age 29. My wife was also really fat so that really didn't help things any as we both just accepted each other as is.

A few years after getting married, my wife finally got tired of being fat and got gastric bypass surgery. She encouraged me to get it as well, but I had a very irrational fear of general anesthesia. I feared being put under and never waking up. Plus I had the stubborn notion that I could beat this without surgery, despite the years of evidence to the contrary.

Finally at age 36, I agreed to get a lap band after reaching 465 lbs (210.9 kg). I'll leave it to you to google that if you want to know exactly what it is. It was the least effective surgical option available but also the least risky so that's why I chose it. It was moderately successful, as I lost 150 lbs (68.0 kg) over 7 years and then maintained after that.

Late in 2020, my lab band slipped and entirely cut off my esophagus from my stomach. I had to have it removed. For the first time in 10 years, my stomach had no restrictions. COVID lengthened the time it took to get me scheduled for a gastric bypass surgery, and I gained back almost all of the weight I'd lost.

That puts me were I am today, 8 days removed from a gastric bypass surgery. What a miserable experience. Had to go on a pure liquid protein diet for 2 weeks before the surgery just to get my risk down to a level where the surgeon would do the operation. Have a post-op wound that has to be redressed twice a day for 2-4 more weeks. Have no appetite and still only consuming liquids post-surgery. Hard to sit comfortably. Hard to lie down and sleep comfortably. Have to pee every 2 hours. Have a long recovery ahead. Probably at least 2-3 months before I can consider restarting road clinching trips.

TL DR version: Getting fat is really bad for you. Don't let it happen to you. If you can't find other motivation to stay healthy, use my experience.
Congrats on taking that step towards getting healthy!  I had the gastric sleeve surgery back in 2017 (I, too, have struggled with my weight since I was a child and topped out at around 350).  The recovery was awful, especially within the first week, and then I got really discouraged when I could barely eat anything AND wasn't losing significant amounts of weight, but then I started seeing results and I couldn't be happier about my decision to get it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 24, 2022, 10:11:13 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 23, 2022, 07:12:06 PM

Congrats on taking that step towards getting healthy!  I had the gastric sleeve surgery back in 2017 (I, too, have struggled with my weight since I was a child and topped out at around 350).  The recovery was awful, especially within the first week, and then I got really discouraged when I could barely eat anything AND wasn't losing significant amounts of weight, but then I started seeing results and I couldn't be happier about my decision to get it.

My surgeon explained to me that they had to fill me full of gas and fluids in order to do the surgery and as such, I shouldn't expect weight loss until my body is able to get rid of all that at around the 10-14 day mark, so hopefully soon for me.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Congrats cabiness42.  I know it wasn't a choice made lightly and best of luck in your recovery. 

skluth

Losing weight is always tough. I've been slowly losing weight since hitting my max of 218# in 2009; not as overweight as many but I'm only 5'6". I had a 40" waist then. I was down to about 185# when I retired in 2017 but I'm now at 165# and hoping to get down to my original navy enlistment weight of 153# in the next 2-4 years. I exercise for at least an hour 3-4 times/week, cut out all second helpings and most junk food, and limit my drinking to two drinks. I don't worry about my caloric count. I also do not put salt on anything other than popcorn and corn on the cob, neither of which I eat often. I allow myself one treat per day (usually ice cream). My favorite snacks are cheese sticks and small bits of meat (like little Slim Jims). I occasionally break my rules, but I then get very strict with myself for the next week. This plan won't work for everyone, but it's the only one that's ever worked for me after a lifetime of diets followed by binge eating.

My family has a long history of heart disease and obesity on both sides. I've lived longer than both my parents, 3 of 4 grandparents, and all but one great-grandparent; I honestly never expected to live this long. I encourage everyone to at least do some cardio-related exercise most days, even if it's just walking. Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight and otherwise working to improve their health. It ain't easy.

webny99

This couldn't have been an easy story to share, so I just want to say thanks for sharing, I appreciate you having the courage to share this with us, and I hope all goes well with your recovery.

kkt

Thank you for being brave enough to share this for the good of others, Cabiness. 

About anesthesia, I had general anesthesia to get a colonoscopy done a couple of years ago, and it was easy - there's an anesthesiologist watching over you the whole time, which is probably not the case when you're asleep.  Doctors will probably recommend a colonoscopy with general anesthesia sooner or later, so you might as well get used to it.

thspfc

Thank you for sharing this. I have one and only one promise to anyone in my life, and it's a promise to myself to never let my BMI hit the wrong side of 25.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on February 24, 2022, 09:50:26 PM
Thank you for sharing this. I have one and only one promise to anyone in my life, and it's a promise to myself to never let my BMI hit the wrong side of 25.

BMI isn't exactly a solid indicator of health.  I've usually been between a 26-30 BMI most of my adult life.  When I was at that 30 BMI I was in the best shape of my life in terms of weight lifting (my flat bench press was approaching 300lbs).  At the time I was also running 60 miles a week and had a resting heart rate of 48 BPM.  To me things like resting heat rate always felt like a better indicator of general health than BMI.

Scott5114

Right, the BMI calculation starts to break down as muscle increases. The company I used to work for required an annual biometric screening as one of many conditions to get a bonus. I remember being in line to get mine done and a huge, muscled tribal police officer having a laugh with his buddies because his screening said he was "obese" on the basis of BMI.

In addition to resting heart rate, body fat percentage can be measured through a number of means (I like electrical impedance), and that, combined with weight, provides a better metric of body mass than BMI does.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2022, 04:17:52 PM
Right, the BMI calculation starts to break down as muscle increases. The company I used to work for required an annual biometric screening as one of many conditions to get a bonus. I remember being in line to get mine done and a huge, muscled tribal police officer having a laugh with his buddies because his screening said he was "obese" on the basis of BMI.

I've had some funky non-baseline results from EKGs and Billirubin related to exercise.  Every couple years I'll switch doctors and they run a new EKG.  My initial results always look like I have AFib given my heart is so large and so close to my chest wall.  Likewise my Billirubin always shows mildly elevated which I'm to understand is from large amounts of exercise possibly coupled with how much I eat.  It doesn't even really phase me anymore when one of these doctors brings up heart and liver stuff now because I've been through so many tests over the years.  But then again, the baseline results on all this is set for a sedentary lifestyle so I get it.

CNGL-Leudimin

The title says it all. Espacially knowing how your health care system works, as it can save you big bucks. Also, the best way to loss weight is eating less and healthy, and doing exercise (although per what I get "eating healthy" may be hard in the USA). It requires lots of effort, but also avoids surgeries.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 25, 2022, 06:50:26 PM
The title says it all. Espacially knowing how your health care system works[...]

It doesn't.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2022, 09:23:24 PM
The title says it all. Espacially knowing how your health care system works[...]

It doesn't.

Amusingly my biggest issue with the ACA was that it really did nothing to make health care actually affordable.  I've always been curious to see if I could price out medical procedures I've had domestically when I'm visiting Jalisco.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 09:41:04 PM

It doesn't.

Amusingly my biggest issue with the ACA was that it really did nothing to make health care actually affordable.  I've always been curious to see if I could price out medical procedures I've had domestically when I'm visiting Jalisco.

Anything that would have made that bill useful was stripped to get the moderate vote. I recall the one House rep from the UP singlehandedly getting most of the useful stuff blown out into space to get his ilk on board.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 25, 2022, 10:35:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 09:41:04 PM

It doesn't.

Anything that would have made that bill useful was stripped to get the moderate vote. I recall the one House rep from the UP singlehandedly getting most of the useful stuff blown out into space to get his ilk on board.
Although true...

...I'm in here before the lock. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

The title says it all. Espacially knowing how your health care system works, as it can save you big bucks. Also, the best way to loss weight is eating less and healthy, and doing exercise (although per what I get "eating healthy" may be hard in the USA). It requires lots of effort, but also avoids surgeries.
It's as easy to eat healthy here as it is anywhere else in the world. And probably much easier than most countries.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2022, 08:54:08 AM
It's as easy to eat healthy here as it is anywhere else in the world. And probably much easier than most countries.

But it isn't easy to eat a healthy amount or stay active.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2022, 09:36:24 AM

I suppose it depends on your childhood, someone who was raised in a family where large emphasis was placed on health will think it's easy. Either way, it's easier than in most countries.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on February 26, 2022, 09:39:27 AM

I suppose it depends on your childhood, someone who was raised in a family where large emphasis was placed on health will think it's easy. Either way, it's easier than in most countries.

I don't buy that (at least not fully).  Adults can make choices and educate themselves or seek assistance towards reigning in their health.  My parents were incredibly unhealthy and had horrible eating habits.  Their lack of care towards their health certainly contributed to their medical issues and ultimately both their early demises.  My brother and I decided we didn't want to be unhealthy like them and took steps to ensure we weren't in adulthood.

Rothman

That don't make no sense.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on February 26, 2022, 10:13:11 AM

That don't make no sense.

I kind of took it as a leaning towards "nurture"  in the "nature versus nurture"  argument.  While I can see poor parenting being a reason and contributing factor as to why someone might not be healthy there is no way it can be weighted fully as a universal cause.

snowc

This post should give you a warning to heed warnings set forth by your doctor.
As an autistic person, I usually have a LOT of cravings for food (espcially bc of my medicine requiring me to get food, LOL)
When I was diagnosed with Autism at 2.5 Years Old, I started out 20lbs, but then I gained the most amount of weight I have ever seen, at 120lbs! I LOVED chick Fil A (we have one near campus, so we were regulars at that place every saturday :colorful:) and ate things like it's no tomorrow!
Well fast forward to 2018, my weight was at 300lbs (the highest I've seen). However, I am very tall. My triglycerides were in the 230s! And fast food didnt help either.
In 2020, this was the worst day of my life. My mom was VERY angry with me after viewing the test results (and reacting) and guess what I had for triglycerides? 293 mg/dl! :wow:
Well, my mother said no more fried foods, and no more juice, soda, and fatty foods. I even had to taste apples and oranges (AND I GAGGED, this was because my palate has a texture issue that makes me gag with stuff I don't like, such as vegetables except corn, international items, and especially having to customize the item to not have any vegetables)
Well I was down to 294lbs, and started using a glucometer with readings in the high 100s and then going down.
After four new york trips (Yes rothman I did eventually have my NY trip in December) I went back up to 320lbs!
TL;DR: Don't be like me, go eat at places you don't usually go to.  :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.