News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Major roads in your state you have not yet been on

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, March 23, 2022, 11:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on March 24, 2022, 05:06:33 AM
I have also missed US 14 between Mankato and I-35, mostly because it is easier to get to my cousin's house in Mankato by following MN 109 and MN 22 north from I-90 than to use US 14. US 14 east of Owatonna to Rochester is also a challenge to get to.

I had a conversation like this earlier this week as I'm still missing a fair bit of US 2 in northern Minnesota despite taking out a lot of the missing mileage on Sunday, just because anything important along it is more sensibly reached north-south from the metro, although it's still a little perplexing given the time I spend in northern Minnesota.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

I've completed all of Colorado's interstates, US routes, state highways, and other named goodies on Travel Mapping. Probably the closest "major route" to where I live that I haven't been on is the stretch of US6 between I-70 and I-15 in Utah.

Otherwise if we're counting any US route as major, I haven't been on US85 north of WYO313.

1995hoo

I construed the thread as meaning a major road you have not yet been on at all (to my mind, "not yet been on" implies "never been on any part of it").

If the question is the biggest or most important road in your state you have not yet clinched, that's a very different question and for Virginia I'd likely say US-1, US-17, or US-58. I haven't clinched Virginia's portion of I-77, but I don't think that road is as significant on a statewide scale as the US routes I just mentioned. I haven't clinched US-13 either, but the portion I'm missing is entirely urban/suburban in the Norfolk area and is thus less significant than the rest of the route because the average person not interested in clinches would not likely use that as the thru route anyway given nearby I-64.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

If it's "haven't traveled AT ALL", then the closest major road to me is probably the Kilpatrick Turnpike near OKC or I-110 in TX, both around 9.5 hours away.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 24, 2022, 03:02:11 PM
If it's "haven't traveled AT ALL", then the closest major road to me is probably the Kilpatrick Turnpike near OKC or I-110 in TX, both around 9.5 hours away.

That still doesn't fully solve what is a "major roadway."   I can think to numerous city streets that certainly would be far more important/notable/major than what DOTs often maintain.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2022, 03:03:45 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 24, 2022, 03:02:11 PM

That still doesn't fully solve what is a "major roadway."   I can think to numerous city streets that certainly would be far more important/notable/major than what DOTs often maintain.

Sure. I guess there are some major streets in Albuquerque that I haven't been on, but I would still wager I've been on every major city street in Colorado cities too.

hbelkins

Since I've clinched Kentucky's interstates, parkways, US routes, and state routes below 100*, I don't know. Probably some three-digit route that connects county seats in western Kentucky, or some of the four-digit routes that serve as arterials in Louisville and northern Kentucky.

*I have not yet been on the new southern Mayfield bypass that is signed as KY 80. I clinched KY 80 as signed several years ago, but that route has been built since then. I'd like to get back down that way, but I will probably have to wait until the area is better recovered from the December tornadoes.

West Virginia, ditto. I've clinched the interstates, US routes, and primary state system, so there are probably some important county routes I haven't been on. Possibly some sections of CR 73 between the Clarksburg/Bridgeport/Fairmont area and Morgantown, as I have clinched CR 21 (old US 21), CR 857 (now supplanted by WV 43), CR 120 (the route from US 52 to Pocahontas, Va.)/

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SeriesE

US-6, US-395, US-95, US-97, I-40, CA-70, CA-65

not sure what else counts as major in California

mgk920

Here in Wisconsin, I have yet to be on US 14 between the Madison Beltline and La Crosse.

Mike

ahj2000

This is a funky topic. Out of the roads I haven't traveled on ata all in VA, the Hampton Roads 4dis are the most major hierarchically. Is the segment of 81 west of 77 more important? Should it count instead? Who knows...

Flint1979

I have been all over Michigan multiple times over and probably have been on just about every major highway in the state. I've been on every US and Interstate highway in the state. The longest state highway I haven't been on is M-553 but that is not a major route. I might have every major route in the state at this point. There are only about 10-15 state highways that I haven't been on.

dlsterner

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on March 23, 2022, 11:55:34 PM
What is the biggest/most important road in your state that you have not yet traversed? Me, I-95 in here in North Carolina

Not much left in Maryland for me.  I currently have 100% of the Interstate Highways and about 95% of the US Highways.  Only missing things like a short segment of US 1 in Baltimore (in the sketchy part of town), but in the grand scheme of things, not that important.

That leaves state routes.  It probably is MD 12, which runs from Salisbury to Snow Hill on the Eastern Shore.  About 30 miles, but not terribly consequential.  Speaking of Snow Hill, it also has US 113 Business, which is the only Maryland US Route (bannered or not) that I have no mileage on.  All four miles of it.

(Mental note:  Include Snow Hill on my next clinching trip in that area)

mgk920

Quote from: mgk920 on March 24, 2022, 05:40:14 PM
Here in Wisconsin, I have yet to be on US 14 between the Madison Beltline and La Crosse.

Mike

Also, looking back on my in-state travels, there are lengthy sections of WI 35 (mainly north on La Crosse) and US 63 that I have yet to explore.

Mike

andrepoiy

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 24, 2022, 02:10:24 AM
I've never been on some Montréal area freeways such as Laval's A-440 and A-640.

They're not particularly interesting ahaha.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on March 25, 2022, 01:13:36 PM

Also, looking back on my in-state travels, there are lengthy sections of WI 35 (mainly north on La Crosse) and US 63 that I have yet to explore.

Shoot, those would all line up into one rather pleasant road trip for ya.  Decent scenery the whole way pretty much.

For me, I've yet to go and check out the new expressway going in on WI 23 between Fondy and Plymouth.  Been years since I've been on that corridor and I feel like that counts for this thread since it's changed so dramatically.  As for new territory, I've never been on the WI 35 expressway between River Falls and I-94.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 25, 2022, 03:07:05 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on March 25, 2022, 01:13:36 PM

Shoot, those would all line up into one rather pleasant road trip for ya.  Decent scenery the whole way pretty much.

For me, I've yet to go and check out the new expressway going in on WI 23 between Fondy and Plymouth.  Been years since I've been on that corridor and I feel like that counts for this thread since it's changed so dramatically.  As for new territory, I've never been on the WI 35 expressway between River Falls and I-94.

I would say in Wisconsin, I have not been on much of either WI-70 or WI-77, particularly in the northwest part of the state.  Both of these are east/west highways in the far north.

I have been on every inch of interstate and US Highways in Wisconsin along with many major WIs like WI-13, 27, 29, 32, 54, etc.

I-55

I-65 north of Lafayette
I-70 east of Indianapolis
US-41 north of I-69
ITR everywhere but South Bend
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ftballfan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.