Favorite highway that's the same number as your age

Started by SkyPesos, March 25, 2022, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zzcarp

For 44, I only have a few options for routes I've traveled. As a kid we took I-44 from St. Louis to Oklahoma City, and I have little memory of that trip except for the arch from the Poplar Street Bridge and our family dog. As an adult, I've only driven the Poplar and what is now the extension between the Poplar and I-70, so it's too little for a "favorite".

I've been on the freeway part of Ohio 44 in northeast Ohio but not enough of the rest of the route to count.

I guess I'm kind of feeling Colorado 44 right now. It's entirely on E 104th Avenue in Adams County. It begins discretely at Colorado Boulevard (not even a state highway) a couple miles east of I-25, crosses US 85 at a traffic signal, then ends at what is now former Colorado Highway 2 in Commerce City. In each direction from its termini, E 104th Ave continues on for miles. There's probably some metaphor for age 44 there.
So many miles and so many roads

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Shockingly, I've seen lots of 20s and 22s but I guess I'm the first for 21.

IL-21 covers Milwaukee Avenue, a road I'm pretty sure I have clinched. It's just another area arterial in North Chicagoland. Nothing really special about it. I don't even really feel "nostalgic" about it. But it's one I've frequented a lot over the years.

I have never been on WI-21. Nor US-21 AFAIK. And neither M-21 in Michigan.

So by default, IL-21 is my favorite.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

FrCorySticha

The only highway 45 I'm familiar with is US 45 through the Chicagoland area. I lived right off US 45 for the 4 years I was in the Chicago suburbs and travelled on it quite frequently. It's a "minor" street-level highway compared to the freeway network and even US 41, but an important highway through parts of IL except where paralleled by I-57 and I-24. It runs the entire length of Illinois, from the Wisconsin border in the northern Chicago suburbs to the Ohio River across from Paducah, KY.

ilpt4u

The only 37s I've driven are IL 37 and IN 37.

I've probably had more fun driving IN 37 (including a speeding ticket!), so I guess IN SR 37 gets the nod for now, even if many portions of it are about to disappear in favor of the I-69 designation

JayhawkCO

Certainly not the whole thing, but US40 over Berthoud Pass is pretty great.

Cerlin

Gotta be Interstate 20 for me. Been on it from it's western terminus all the way through Atlanta. It also goes through DFW which is where I'm from.
Hypocritical Leftist who loves driving/highways and all modes of transportation.

SkyPesos

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2022, 11:37:38 AM
Certainly not the whole thing, but US40 over Berthoud Pass is pretty great.
I mentioned US 40 as my favorite US highway on another thread. Just the history of it (especially as the National Road) is really interesting.

7/8

I have to go sentimental with Ontario Highway 26. My family had a condo up in Thornbury for several years and we'd drive up most weekends for skiing, cycling, swimming, etc. The actual highway is nice too with good views of the Niagara Escarpment and Georgian Bay.

Now I have a month to think of my answer for 27 :).

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on March 28, 2022, 12:49:43 PM

I hope for your sake that you can find something better than ON 27, because that road is a slog  :-D

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2022, 02:49:15 PM

I hope for your sake that you can find something better than ON 27, because that road is a slog  :-D
US 27 is a nice drive in some segments.

adventurernumber1

I-22 and US 22 are really good routes, but I have been on neither in real life. I believe the only Highway 22's I have been on are GA 22 and WY 22, IIRC. I may pick Wyoming Highway 22 as my favorite because the scenery is outstanding, being near Jackson and the Teton Range. I have only been on the part from US 26/89/189/191 to WY 390 (although it's a short route altogether), but the drive was great, and from what I can see on Google Maps Street-View, the section west of WY 390 is even more breathtaking as it goes up the mountain.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Konza

Has to be Interstate 65, which was the preferred route from home to college.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

WillWeaverRVA

VA 37, I guess, probably the weirdest VDOT-maintained freeway in Virginia with strange signage and its non-freeway connections to I-81 (the south end stops being a freeway just before I-81 while the north end merges into US 11 before a diamond interchange with I-81). If not for those, it could be I-281.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Flint1979

Well M-42 is a short highway and one I haven't spent much time on so that isn't it. US-42 I'd probably opt for I-71 so I doubt that's my favorite 42 route. I'm going to go with Indiana SR-42 as I have been on it several times and clinched Owen County by taking it one time. It's only about 60 miles long though and one of the only state highways in Indiana I have fully clinched. It starts out at US-40 in Terre Haute and goes to Mooresville where it ends at SR-67 and SR-144.

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 28, 2022, 03:22:23 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2022, 02:49:15 PM

US 27 is a nice drive in some segments.
I like US-27 in Kentucky, Tennessee and Florida. Georgia is probably ok as it bypasses Atlanta but I haven't really traveled on it much in Georgia.

Henry

By default, it's US 51, which runs down the middle of IL. I will turn 52 next month, and US 52 will be my new favorite because of its quirkiness (is it north-south or east-west?), and that in itself is far more interesting than the previous highway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Mine would about have to be US 60, which I've been on from its eastern terminus in Virginia Beach all the way to just west of the Missouri-Oklahoma state line.

The only other 60s that come to mind are OH 60 and TN 60, both of which I have only been on for short portions.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

frankenroad

Nothing Exciting pops up for me - though, as someone mentioned, parts of I-65 in Kentucky are quite scenic.

I'm just going to wait a few months till I can get my kicks on Route 66.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

TheDon102

JayhawkCO

Quote from: frankenroad on March 29, 2022, 02:31:32 PM
Nothing Exciting pops up for me - though, as someone mentioned, parts of I-65 in Kentucky are quite scenic.

I'm just going to wait a few months till I can get my kicks on Route 66.

If you make it out to Colorado, CO65 is one of my favorite drives out here, going over Grand Mesa. It can still be your favorite, even if you haven't driven it.  :bigass:

LilianaUwU

US 23 seems like a pretty neat highway. However, since I haven't went to the US, I can't really confirm it.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 29, 2022, 05:03:15 PM
US 23 seems like a pretty neat highway. However, since I haven't went to the US, I can't really confirm it.

BC23 looks pretty great too, on your side of the border.

74/171FAN

US 30 pretty much by default.  However, before moving to PA in 2015, I had only been on it in the Lancaster area from PA 283 to the Dutch Haven east of PA 896.

MD 30, DE 30, VA 30, LA 30, SC 30, and I-30 just are not as exciting for some reason.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.