News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Those slow drivers in the left lane

Started by SSOWorld, August 02, 2010, 08:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkbrown

^^^ I thought the same thing, and I've seen truckers flash headlights to each other indicating when the trailer of the passing truck is clear of the truck being passed, and it was safe to move over to the right.

I've had trucks do this to me when I passed them, indicating when I could return to the right lane in front of them. Vice versa, I've done the same to truckers, usually getting the "truckers thank you" in return. (the brief flashing of the tail lights or clearence marker lights)
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

US71

Quote from: Troubleshooter on August 09, 2010, 11:18:49 PM

The left lane should never be reserved for passing only. This is wrong thinking, and greatly reduces the capacity of the road.

So all those "Keep Right Except To Pass" signs are wrong? What if I want to pass someone, but can't because someone is blocking the left lane?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: andrewkbrown on August 10, 2010, 10:33:00 AM
^^^ I thought the same thing, and I've seen truckers flash headlights to each other indicating when the trailer of the passing truck is clear of the truck being passed, and it was safe to move over to the right.

I've had trucks do this to me when I passed them, indicating when I could return to the right lane in front of them. Vice versa, I've done the same to truckers, usually getting the "truckers thank you" in return. (the brief flashing of the tail lights or clearence marker lights)

I do this as well.  It's amazing how the long haul truckers will work with you on the road when you're nice to them.  Now the local gravel trucks on the other hand...  :verymad:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 10, 2010, 11:13:16 AM

I do this as well.  It's amazing how the long haul truckers will work with you on the road when you're nice to them.  Now the local gravel trucks on the other hand...  :verymad:

is there a polite way to say "please do not jump in front of me, doing 62, to pass someone doing 60, when the speed limit is 75 and I am clearly coming up behind you doing 79"?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 11:18:54 AM

is there a polite way to say "please do not jump in front of me, doing 62, to pass someone doing 60, when the speed limit is 75 and I am clearly coming up behind you doing 79"?

I believe it is as follows:
1. Roll down window.
2. Place arm out of window.
3. Extend the middle finger.
4. Hit the horn at the same time.
:pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 10, 2010, 11:35:19 AM
1. Roll down window.

especially if I am forced onto the median.  That tends to get two middle fingers.  Four if I have a passenger.

I never hit the horn, though.  I've honked the horn twice in my life - both times, I was behind a vehicle, stopped at a traffic light, and it was rolling backwards down the hill and about to hit me and I had no place to escape.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 11:37:11 AM
especially if I am forced onto the median.  That tends to get two middle fingers.  Four if I have a passenger.

I never hit the horn, though.  I've honked the horn twice in my life - both times, I was behind a vehicle, stopped at a traffic light, and it was rolling backwards down the hill and about to hit me and I had no place to escape.

Living around Chicago, I can't count how many times I've had to use the horn to avoid an accident.  As the old joke about regional driving habits goes, Chicagoans tend to have one hand on the wheel, one hand on the horn.  The joke is too true.

US71

1. Roll down window.

How about a laser cannon? 

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

that comic neither makes sense nor is particularly funny.

but hey, I only just now found out that Jesus hates toll transponders, so what do I know.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on August 10, 2010, 11:44:57 AM
How about a laser cannon? 

I like, and I keep asking for it at the car dealership.  For some reason that and the bazooka option aren't offered.

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 01:36:40 PM
that comic neither makes sense nor is particularly funny.

First four panels only for the relevant joke.

Beamcannons are better.

US71

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Guys - please stay on the topic.  Its not about flashing brights - its about those slow drivers in the left lane.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Master son on August 10, 2010, 09:45:19 PM
Guys - please stay on the topic.  Its not about flashing brights - its about those slow drivers in the left lane.

... who need to have the brights flashed at them!

jake@aaroads.com

hm insulators

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2010, 11:18:54 AM

1. Roll down window.

:-D :-D :-D :clap: :clap: :clap: :spin: :spin: :spin:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

SSOWorld

I came up on a pair of dueling trucks on US 151 near Dodgeville (WI) and they basically had equal speeds at 65 mph.  The one on the left slowly was inching forward - when suddenly the one on the right accelerated and the  one on the left changed into the right lane behind it after about 5 miles of me and two other cars waiting behind the left truck.  We promptly passed both trucks
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

signalman

I just had a slow turd in the left lane on my drive home on I-80.  After 3 cars in front of me, then me, then 4 more cars passed him in the middle lane he finally took his head out of his ass and moved over.  The car in front of me and I both cut him off badly after we passed him.  That move will often wake people up, but not this inept moron.

Bryant5493

^^ Yeah, that's the best way to do it, to get some folks attention. :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

signalman

That's my goal.  If not, scaring them works too   lol

KEK Inc.

I tend to go 5 over or the flow of traffic no matter which lane I'm in; however, I keep a 3 second following distance, and I'll pass some vehicles that are in the right lane, but I'm not going to blatantly go 20 over the speed limit. 

I do piss some drivers off, since I'm pretty frugal at not blocking intersections and keeping a decent following distance.  At least whenever I stop at lights, I don't leave a gap wide enough for a freight train like some people do.  According to the book, you're supposed to leave a car's length, but I leave like 2' between my bumper and the bumper in fromt of me.
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.