News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Street Lights plus Motorist Aid Call Boxes

Started by Mergingtraffic, August 25, 2010, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Do any states still use motorist aid call boxes?  CT used to have them but took them down.
Although reminants of them still appear on older street lights, such as the old antennas.

We all like old things on roads,...one that gets over looked are street lights, there are some old lights on I-84 in CT that date back closely to the highway's construction.  (between exits 7 & 8) 

Any old street lights where you are? Any old"bubble" light bulbs left?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Eth

Last time I checked (December 2009), Georgia still had call boxes on I-185.  To my knowledge, this was the only highway GDOT ever installed them on.

myosh_tino

California still uses call boxes along most of its freeways.  They're pretty common in urban areas (Los Angeles, S.F. Bay Area, Sacramento) and are along certain rural portions of I-5.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Ian

-The Pennsylvania Turnpike has call boxes at every mile.

-I-87 throughout the Adirondacks have call boxes at a certain point because cell service is so bad there.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

allniter89

I 10 in FL has call boxes every mile, not sure about the other FL interstates.
I would think I 75 thru the Everglades would have call boxes, but don't know for sure.
Doesn't I 10 in LA over the Atchafalaya Swamp, between Baton Rouge and Beaux Bridge have them?
And probably I 10 over Mobile (AL) Bay does too.
I've been on all these highways many times but can't recall if there were call boxes  :pan:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

rarnold

In Idaho, along US-12 east of Kooskia, IDT has installed call boxes at turnouts, but they are about 20-30 miles apart, and there are three of them Still is better than nothing, since cell phones do not work in that area.

mightyace

Quote from: allniter89 on August 25, 2010, 08:58:32 PM

I think I remember seeing them on I-10 and I-95 during my Florida trip.

Someplace else sticks in my mind as still having them but I can't recall where.

The eastern section of I-80 in PA from US 15 to the Delaware Water Gap once had them but they've been gone at least 20 years, IIRC.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

D-Dey65

Quote from: allniter89 on August 25, 2010, 08:58:32 PM
Yes, I-75 in Florida has them every mile, and in some rest areas. I-275 also has them north of the US 41/CSX Brooksville Subdivision bridge.

Brandon

IDOT used to have some in Metro East, but they never had them in Chicago.  Instead, we have signs telling people to call *999 from their cellphone.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 25, 2010, 08:29:56 PM
-The Pennsylvania Turnpike has call boxes at every mile.

-I-87 throughout the Adirondacks have call boxes at a certain point because cell service is so bad there.
They also have "SEND HELP" signs available for drivers to use :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

luokou

The only place i recall seeing call boxes on I-5 in Oregon are both in Medford, between exits 27 and 30.

PAHighways

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 25, 2010, 08:29:56 PM-The Pennsylvania Turnpike has call boxes at every mile.

The Uniontown-Brownsville section of Turnpike 43 nor Turnpike 576 have call boxes.

Interstate 81 has/had them between mile markers 108 and 158 in Schuylkill and Luzerne Counties.

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on August 26, 2010, 07:06:04 PM
Interstate 81 has/had them between mile markers 108 and 158 in Schuylkill and Luzerne Counties.

IIRC I was on part of that back at Christmas (north of I-80, exit 151) and they are as extinct as the ones I mentioned that were on I-80.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

deathtopumpkins

I believe VDOT uses them sometimes. I've certainly seen plenty of them around, though I never paid much attention to where.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Bryant5493

Quote from: Eth on August 25, 2010, 08:13:06 PM
Last time I checked (December 2009), Georgia still had call boxes on I-185.  To my knowledge, this was the only highway GDOT ever installed them on.

Yeah, it's the only highway in Georgia that has call boxes. I almost would say that I-16 needs them installed. Not much out there, between Macon and Savannah.

I-75 in Florida was the first time that I ever saw a call box, and that was when I was ten (over fifteen years ago).

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

thenetwork

The only call boxes I've seen in Colorado are the ones through Glenwood Canyon on I-70, due to the bad cellular reception in that deep, narrow canyon. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.