News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dead Malls

Started by The Premier, January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo71

I don't know if anyone has talked about this, but gross Pittsburgh has a disgusting dead mall and almost a second deal mall. Century Three and probably soon Monroeville. The senile decrepit town is just continuing to die. Even its own news station said how poorly it is run, and it won't ever change. The government needs to relocate everyone who lives there and erase the town, and every trace of it. Sorry for my unwanted opinion*

mgk920

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 07, 2021, 04:30:26 PM
I don't know if anyone has talked about this, but gross Pittsburgh has a disgusting dead mall and almost a second deal mall. Century Three and probably soon Monroeville. The senile decrepit town is just continuing to die. Even its own news station said how poorly it is run, and it won't ever change. The government needs to relocate everyone who lives there and erase the town, and every trace of it. Sorry for my unwanted opinion*

Would the Pittsburgh area improve any if all of the munis in Allegheny County, including Pittsburgh, would be merged into a single city?

Mike

OCGuy81

I think Monroeville was the mall seen in the movie Zack and Miri.  It took place in Monroeville, though I'm not sure the mall they worked at was the one you mentioned or not.  If so, it looked bad back then, and I think the movie is about 12 years old now.

Flint1979

I don't see what's wrong with Monroeville, Pennsylvania I've been there before. Now Wilkinsburg I didn't care for that place.

jakeroot

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 07, 2021, 06:44:27 PM

I think Monroeville was the mall seen in the movie Zack and Miri.  It took place in Monroeville, though I'm not sure the mall they worked at was the one you mentioned or not.  If so, it looked bad back then, and I think the movie is about 12 years old now.

It was in Zack and Miri. But nothing compares to its feature in the original Dawn of the Dead from 1978. I'm sure it's most well known today for that over anything else. As it should be, frankly.

Flint1979

It doesn't beat Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Illinois with the scene from The Blues Brothers .

jakeroot

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 07, 2021, 09:24:54 PM
It doesn't beat Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Illinois with the scene from The Blues Brothers .

For that brief scene in Blues Brothers, yes. But Monroeville Mall was a huge part of Dawn of the Dead. It was as much a star of the film as any of the cast members.

Flint1979

Quote from: jakeroot on May 07, 2021, 09:36:22 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 07, 2021, 09:24:54 PM

For that brief scene in Blues Brothers, yes. But Monroeville Mall was a huge part of Dawn of the Dead. It was as much a star of the film as any of the cast members.
I became a fan of Dixie Square Mall because of its abandonment and condition it was in before it was demolished. For some reason I like dead malls.

Angelo71

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 07, 2021, 06:46:56 PM
I don't see what's wrong with Monroeville, Pennsylvania I've been there before. Now Wilkinsburg I didn't care for that place.
Monroeville is fine but murraysville is better. Most of the Pittsburgh greater area is so gross. But the eastern areas are disgusting! Go to north Versailles and McKeesport and they are disgusting. And you can't tell me rankin or Braddock are any better!

Flint1979

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 08, 2021, 11:23:22 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 07, 2021, 06:46:56 PM
Monroeville is fine but murraysville is better. Most of the Pittsburgh greater area is so gross. But the eastern areas are disgusting! Go to north Versailles and McKeesport and they are disgusting. And you can't tell me rankin or Braddock are any better!
What do you mean by so gross?

Flint1979

Currently walking around Saginaw's Fashion Square Mall. I counted 45 stores in the mall in a mall that has capacity for over 100 stories. The corridor we're the main entrances is totally vacant of any stores.

CoreySamson

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but Cortana Mall in Baton Rouge looks to be basically dead. I remember walking around in it about 10 years ago and seeing a lot of abandoned stores. I think my dad remarked that it was on the decline, but it appears to be gone now. The Mall of Louisiana has really lead to Cortana's demise (admittedly, the Mall of Louisiana is probably the best mall I've been in, and Cortana was not).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Bruce

hbelkins

Drove by Mercer Mall near Bluefield, WV today. Best as I could tell from the road (US 460) it appeared dead.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

I walked around Genesee Valley Center in Flint a little bit today. It seems to be doing a little better than Fashion Square Mall in Saginaw with more stores. The food court however only has two places open.

OCGuy81

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 30, 2021, 10:31:11 PM
I walked around Genesee Valley Center in Flint a little bit today. It seems to be doing a little better than Fashion Square Mall in Saginaw with more stores. The food court however only has two places open.

We could probably do a whole sub topic on the food courts! Even the malls that are still around, it seems food courts are a shell of their glory days.

GCrites

When malls open up a lot of times at first there's nothing around them. Then as restaurants and fast food open up around them the food court starts to die.

Flint1979

The least profitable mall in this area has to be Bay City Town Center (use to be called Bay City Mall). It has lost all it's anchor stores and has no food court anymore either it was removed for a PetSmart that only has an outside entrance. Half of the old Sears became an Ollie's Bargain Outlet and also only has an outside entrance. Use to have a Sears, Younkers, JCPenney and Target.

I went into the Midland Mall the other day which only has a Target left for an anchor and many vacancies as well. Use to have a Sears, JCPenney, Target and Younkers. Midland Mall's Food Court seems to be doing ok it had the most restaurants out of any of the malls I've mentioned in my previous posts and also has a sit down restaurant, use to be Ruby Tuesday but now is Alex's Railside Restaurant. Alex's use to be located in Sanford along the Rail Trail which is why it's called Railside but after the floods from the dam's failing last year they got flooded out and relocated to Ruby Tuesday's old spot in Midland Mall.

GCrites

It's hard to criticize any particular mall for losing Sears when a Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Kohl's, Menard's and a Harbor Freight all opened up right next to the mall. Or within 1 mile of it. That could be over 600,000 square feet of the exact stuff Sears sold in their 80,000-100,000 sqft space. With a Pep Boys, Valvoline Instant Oil Change and Discount Tire around the corner.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 05, 2021, 11:53:28 AM
It's hard to criticize any particular mall for losing Sears when a Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Kohl's, Menard's and a Harbor Freight all opened up right next to the mall. Or within 1 mile of it. That could be over 600,000 square feet of the exact stuff Sears sold in their 80,000-100,000 sqft space. With a Pep Boys, Valvoline Instant Oil Change and Discount Tire around the corner.

And the Town or County's zoning planning allowed all of this to happen!

thspfc

At this point malls should be celebrating when their Sears goes out of business. Poorly run company stuck in the past.

Flint1979

Quote from: thspfc on June 05, 2021, 02:54:39 PM
At this point malls should be celebrating when their Sears goes out of business. Poorly run company stuck in the past.
I guess I could be said for Kmart too. I mean yeah same company but they are totally stuck in the past.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 05, 2021, 03:01:27 PM
I guess I could be said for Kmart too. I mean yeah same company but they are totally stuck in the past.

And that's a warning tale to Wal-Mart and Target if they want to avoid to fall in the same traps althought in the case of Target when they aquired Zellers stores in Canada. They completely screwed things.

Flint1979

Honestly another thing. When the Sears in Genesee Valley closed and then the next year the one in Fashion Square closed my first thought with both Sears locations was ABOUT TIME.

Flint1979

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 05, 2021, 07:04:47 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 05, 2021, 03:01:27 PM

And that's a warning tale to Wal-Mart and Target if they want to avoid to fall in the same traps althought in the case of Target when they aquired Zellers stores in Canada. They completely screwed things.
Around here Meijer blows Walmart away.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.