News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cases where one state DOT maintains something else in another state

Started by codyg1985, October 21, 2011, 07:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: Jim on October 22, 2011, 10:18:48 AM
If we're willing to extend to Canada, here are a couple more.  The Klondike Highway section that cuts through BC to connect with Alaska Route 98 is maintained by the Yukon.  Same is true of the sections of the Alaska Highway south/west of Watson Lake that dip back down into BC.

I'd imagine that Haines Road (YT 3) in northern BC is in a similar position.
Other interesting border situations along the 60° line which may cause cross border maintenance: Cassiar Hwy (BC/YT 37), Alaska Hwy's nine border crossings (YT 1/BC 97) and Fort Smith Hwy (NWT 5)'s 5 crossings with Alberta, including the final portion in Fort Smith just south of the 60° line.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Quote from: roadman65
I imagine that the DE & MD 54 route along the DE- MD Line is most likely maintained by only one state.

DE/MD 54 is split.  Some segments are maintained by MD SHA, others by DelDOT.

Quote from: NE2http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/2010/AADT_NC_NorthCarolina_2010.pdf

This one (US 29/BUS US 29) was mentioned earlier in the thread.  Surprised the I-77 tunnel wasn't, though.

mapman1071

Quote from: deanej on October 21, 2011, 09:40:57 AM
NY maintains a couple of freeways that dip into other states (I-684 CT and NY 17 PA).  I-15 in AZ is maintained by Utah.

I-15 In Arizona is matained by ADOT crews at Littlefield

vdeane

Has something changed?  I remember reading here that I-15 in AZ had work contracted out to Utah.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ftballfan

I remember seeing a sign with an MDOT sticker on the back at the northern end of the International Bridge (which is in Canada) a few years ago.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

This "Passes Open" sign on southbound US 395 is maintained by Caltrans, but is actually located just south of Minden-Gardnerville in Nevada. It used to be a static flip sign with a ladder attached, which always made me wonder which agency actually maintained it. I later realized the giveaway that it is not NDOT installed or maintained--NDOT never uses wood posts for permanent sign installations.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: roadman65 on December 08, 2011, 10:09:59 PM
I-684 in Connecticut is maintained by NYSDOT.

Yep! The mile and change of I-684 that clips the northwest corner of Greenwich, CT. I know that NY maintains this stretch. However, if on the off chance a murder investigation were to happen here, it would be the Connecticut state police that would handle it. I think the road clips Connecticut, since a possible routing on the other side of a nearby lake was nixed (which would've kept the road in NY entirely).

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 10, 2011, 02:03:38 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 08, 2011, 10:09:59 PM
I-684 in Connecticut is maintained by NYSDOT.

Yep! The mile and change of I-684 that clips the northwest corner of Greenwich, CT. I know that NY maintains this stretch. However, if on the off chance a murder investigation were to happen here, it would be the Connecticut state police that would handle it. I think the road clips Connecticut, since a possible routing on the other side of a nearby lake was nixed (which would've kept the road in NY entirely).

It has been a few years since I've traveled 684, but I seem to recall seeing signs indicating that Connecticut handles activities like litter removal through its adopt-a-highway program, though I do recall maintenance being done by NYSDOT.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Revive 755

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 23, 2011, 12:21:43 PM
How 'bout one country maintaining a section of road in another.

In the St. Louis area, St. Louis County at least used to maintain a section of Kienlen Avenue inside the City of St. Louis (an independent city).  Not sure now since I can't find any end or begin county maintenance signs on streetview - and St. Louis County used to be in the habit of placing them on both sides of an intersection between a state and county road.

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on October 27, 2011, 07:43:10 PM
Arkansas and Oklahoma have some deal with AR43/OK20. The road straddles the state line, but the sign assemblies are mostly Oklahoma...

Had to get a shot of that last week...the assembly is juxtaposed, in my opinion.

huskeroadgeek

It seems to me that sometimes where there is an exit just past a state line, it appears the guide signs for the upcoming exit are from the state where the exit is located, not the state where the sign is located.
I also wonder about interchanges which are located on state lines. There was a mention on here of at least one situation where one state maintains the entirety of an interchange located in two states. One situation I know of where an interchange exists in two states is I-35 Exit 114 in Iowa and Missouri. At least as far as signage goes, both states appear to maintain the signs on their side of the line-signage on the north side of the crossroad is from Iowa while signage on the south side is from Missouri. I assume each state maintains the ramps on their side of the line-interestingly because it is not a traditional diamond configuration, 3 of the 4 ramps(all except the Northbound on ramp) are located in Missouri including both off ramps, which probably has to do with why the interchange is numbered following Missouri's mile markers.

vdeane

I-84's CT exit 1 is has Thruway signs in NY.  PennDOT signs Thruway exit 61 in PA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PurdueBill

On I-70 at the Indiana-Ohio line, the old guardrail around the first sign bridge in Indiana used to extend into Ohio, and it actually changed at the state line from Indiana-style railing like would be found on some bridges to traditional guardrail.  Indiana replaced the guardrails along the easternmost section of I-70 a few years ago and now their new guardrail extends some feet into Ohio in the median.  Street view manages to have a shot nearly at the line.

Approaching there from Ohio, the advance signs for the first exit in Indiana are all Ohio signs, replaced in 2000-2001 when Ohio rebuilt that section.  Only the overhead sign at the exit is an INDOT sign.  The ramp then promptly goes back into Ohio!  It's made me wonder what would have happened if the exit itself were to diverge in Ohio.  I would think that all being part of the same interchange, it would have still been numbered as Exit 156B.  Ohio doesn't do Exit 0 and they already have Exit 1 almost 2 miles into the state but only with an exit eastbound--but it would be inappropriate to have Exit 1 eastbound be US 35 and westbound be US 40.  I'd have to think that they'd use the Indiana number anyway.

Without looking at the back of the sign to see if there is identification, the blue service logo signs approaching that exit from Ohio are tougher to tell which state they belong to.  ODOT and INDOT roads have pretty much identical blue service signs and in both states they stay even after everything else is replaced (probably because the DOT itself isn't responsible for them; it's a contractor that does logo signs) and they are often the only button copy on long stretches in Ohio anymore.

There is also a big blue sign (which maybe should be brown?) for the Old National Road Welcome Center going westbound on I-70 just before the blue Ohio arch which is button copy that was not replaced by ODOT, making me wonder if it's an INDOT sign.  Hmm...

In another location...
Somewhere on a flash drive, camera card, or computer I have a couple pics from a year or two ago taken on Daniel Webster Highway just north of the Mass-NH border where there seems to be some Massachusetts stuff in New Hampshire, notably a paddle sign.  Street view has it but it's a little grainy--but the Massachusetts traditional white town line paddle sign is further south, right before the ramp to US 3, so clearly this Mass. sign is in NH.  Wonder why they did that?  Because the ramp itself is in Mass?  (That area and interchange seem to tag-team it; once on the ramp to US 3 you are in Mass but the cantilever overhead for the split of the ramp for US 3 SB and NB is a NH installation, as is the two-downward-arrows diamond sign at the split.  On the ramp to the NB side, you do pass a NH vertical city line sign for Nashua--which confirms that you were in Massachusetts until then on the ramp.  Guess things get odd around that area of the line.  (This is right near where the JC Penney at Pheasant Lane Mall has a cut corner so as to not enter Massachusetts...if the store were rectangular it would enter Massachusetts and be subject to sales tax.)

As I recall, at least a few years back, on I-95, NH signed the first exit in Mass (Rte. 286) and Mass. signed the first exit in NH (Rte. 107) on their respective sides of the border; no "foreign" signs showed up in the other state.  (edit--checked street view--MA does sign NH exit 1 with a 1-mile advance. They did NOT use an Old Man shield, but used a Mass. rectangle!  The NH rest area sign on the same gantry may be a NH sign though--its border looks square like some other NH signs.)

KEVIN_224

@ DEANEJ: The ramp for Connecticut Exit 1 on I-84 East starts about 200 feet from Connecticut, in the municipality of Southeast, NY.

@ PURDUEBILL: Along I-95 South in Seabrook, NH, there is indeed a BGS sign, signed as "EXIT 60- MA 286 - BEACHES / SALISBURY", within one mile of the state line. I'm not aware of any of NH Exit 1 from I-95 North in Salisbury, MA.

PurdueBill

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 15, 2011, 01:25:06 PM
@ PURDUEBILL: Along I-95 South in Seabrook, NH, there is indeed a BGS sign, signed as "EXIT 60- MA 286 - BEACHES / SALISBURY", within one mile of the state line. I'm not aware of any of NH Exit 1 from I-95 North in Salisbury, MA.

Yes, the Exit 1 referred to is in NH (NH route 107) but the first advance sign is far enough south to be in Mass.  It's a Mass. sign with the exit tab not separately bordered from the main sign, etc. unlike NH signage.  The remaining signs for NH 107 are NH signs in NH.  

Looking at street view southbound there, it looks like the old signs I remember are gone.  There used to be a very NH sign for Mass. Exit 60 north of the state line, ground mounted with round poles that are ubiquitous in NH, and a strange-looking rectangular 286 shield; no sign of that one now.  The Exit 60 signs southbound almost appear to be all Mass even though they are almost all in NH. (The split for the exit and welcome center starts in NH and you are barely in Mass when the overheads for the split of the ramp takes place.)
Edit: Found the street view of the first advance for Exit 60 southbound...it's on the NH 107 bridge and I somehow missed it.  It's a NH sign (metric units, exit tab with separate border).  Further south, though, there is a gantry with Exit 60 and Exit 59 signage in the Mass. style but squarely in NH. 

tdindy88

Another observation about the U.S. 40 interchange in the Richmond, Indiana area I noticed going westbound approaching the exit, right by that truck stop, is a guide sign indicating Indianapolis and Columbus and giving the distances to each city, something that Ohio does but not Indiana. Of course, I'm pretty sure the sign is still within the Ohio boundaries, I just thought that it was a bit odd given that the vast majority of the exit is in Indiana and as far as far as I'm concerned, it's an Indiana exit.

vdeane

Another one - I-95 exit 21 in NY has signs done by CT before the border.

Quote@ DEANEJ: The ramp for Connecticut Exit 1 on I-84 East starts about 200 feet from Connecticut, in the municipality of Southeast, NY.
So?  The majority of the exit is in CT and it's considered to be a CT exit by the numbering scheme.

connroadgeek

Quote from: newyorker478 on October 22, 2011, 09:33:36 AM
Parts of NY-120A dip into Greenwich, CT, however the road is entirely NYSDOT maintained and signed, less one erroneous CT-120A shield at the Merritt Parkway exit.

You sure it is entirely maintained by NYSDOT? In the sections that are in CT, the signs and signals seem to be CT style.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: froggie on November 25, 2011, 07:20:42 AM
Quote from: roadman65
I imagine that the DE & MD 54 route along the DE- MD Line is most likely maintained by only one state.

DE/MD 54 is split.  Some segments are maintained by MD SHA, others by DelDOT.

Quote from: NE2http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/2010/AADT_NC_NorthCarolina_2010.pdf

This one (US 29/BUS US 29) was mentioned earlier in the thread.  Surprised the I-77 tunnel wasn't, though.

I would've mentioned the I-77 tunnel but I wasn't 100% sure that VDOT maintained the whole thing.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

SP Cook

Correct.  The East River Mountain Tunnel was built under a WV DOH contract, even though the state line is almost exactly halfway through the tunnel.  Virginia paid WV for its half of the costs.  But then this was reversed, with VDOT maintaining the tunnel and WV paying it 1/2 of its costs every year.  There is a tiny sign inside the tunnel where the state line is.

Now an Ohio River question.  I am surprised Ohio, et al, do any work with Kentucky relative to Ohio River bridges.  History time.  Virginia's original royal charter had no western limit.  Virginia ceded its nominal claim to "all lands northwest of the River Ohio" to the federal which became the Northwest Territory and then the states of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.  The key phrase is "northwest", meaning the actual Ohio river was 100% in Virginia, meaning it still is 100% in West Virginia and Kentucky.  The border is the typical high water mark on the northern or western side, not the center of the channel as in most other river borders.  As such, West Virginia pays for and builds 100% of the bridges over the Ohio, maintains them, etc.  Ohio will chip in only for the approach ramps on the Ohio side, and for any general maintance only for the %age that is over land on the west side.

hbelkins

Actually, Kentucky's border is the low water mark as it existed in 1792, when Kentucky achieved statehood. I'm not sure what kind of agreements Kentucky has with IL, IN and OH, but it appears to be some sort of "we'll do all of this bridge, and you can do all of that bridge. It's why repairing the Sherman Minton is Indiana's baby. I'm pretty sure Indiana also maintains the bridges that take KY 69 and KY 79 into that state. Ohio maintains the old Ironton-Russell bridge and the US 23 bridge.

The KY/WV border is the western side of the Big Sandy River. I'm pretty sure that WVDOT maintains all the bridges that cross into Kentucky. I know WV handled the rebuilding of the I-64 bridges that are now named for the two men who were killed during that project.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

msubulldog

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Exit 1 sign for I-85 in SC that is actually posted in GA on the northbound as you pass under Exit 177 (last time I travelled that far north in April 2010, it was still button copy).
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

Duke87

Quote from: connroadgeek on December 17, 2011, 07:26:02 PM
Quote from: newyorker478 on October 22, 2011, 09:33:36 AM
Parts of NY-120A dip into Greenwich, CT, however the road is entirely NYSDOT maintained and signed, less one erroneous CT-120A shield at the Merritt Parkway exit.

You sure it is entirely maintained by NYSDOT? In the sections that are in CT, the signs and signals seem to be CT style.

There are NYSDOT reference markers. The seemingly CT-style signs are probably installed by the Town of Greenwich, not ConnDOT.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.