News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Splitting states

Started by Revive 755, March 17, 2009, 10:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 13, 2021, 01:57:13 PM
Must have been some stupid auto non-correction.

Stupid auto-correct.  You always end up posting some thong you didn't Nintendo.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2021, 02:04:59 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 13, 2021, 01:57:13 PM
Must have been some stupid auto non-correction.

Stupid auto-correct.  You always end up posting some thong you didn't Nintendo.

I hate auto-carrot.

Chris

kkt

Yes, multilingual counties are what you get when you go taking pieces of other counties that speak a different language.

Roadgeekteen

If the English settlers that founded the US wanted a monolingual country they should have just stayed in England.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 13, 2021, 06:18:59 PM
If the English settlers that founded the US wanted a monolingual country they should have just stayed in England.

Back then, they would have had trouble chatting with the Welsh and Cornish, not to even mention the Scots.  And some of those deep Cockney and Yorkshire accents were pretty much incomprehensible without training.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on May 13, 2021, 06:28:44 PM

Back then, they would have had trouble chatting with the Welsh and Cornish, not to even mention the Scots.  And some of those deep Cockney and Yorkshire accents were pretty much incomprehensible without training.
Well I guess countries have always been multilingual!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kkt on May 13, 2021, 06:28:44 PM

Heh, last weekend I watched Quadrophenia, the movie based on the Who album set in the south of England in the 1960s. I couldn't understand a damn word of it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

Besides having no official language, it is good to have governments communicating important information in as many languages as it can to prevent misinformation from spreading in immigrant communities.

For example, WA's water messages are translated in 28 languages.

kphoger

The Pilgrims had actually lived in Holland first, but they were dismayed that their children were losing their English cultural heritage.  So they came to the New World to start an English society far away from the reach of the English king.  In that sense, you could say they really did want a monolingual country, except that staying in England was off the table, and they tried Plan A first before coming here.

The catch, of course, is that they weren't the only ones who settled here.  People from plenty of other cultures have settled in this country, and they continue to do so.  Heck, where I grew up in northwestern Kansas, German surnames are at least as common as English ones, church hymns are occasionally still sung in German, and I'm pretty sure there are still people alive today who remember school being taught in German.  Plus, as has already mentioned, large areas of this country were already Spanish-speaking when they were added to the Union.  Heck, if California hadn't swung to being an English-majority state shortly after admittance, I imagine Spanish probably would have remained co-official for longer than it did.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

And just to be perfectly clear, even if there were a perfectly persuasive reason for PR to drop Spanish as one of its official languages as a condition of statehood, that would still be a racist proposition. "Racist" doesn't always mean wearing a hood and carrying a torch while actively eradicating members of a particular ethnicity. It just refers to the favoring of one culture or group, or aspects thereof, above another. That the preference in this case is made as a condition for some official status would even be an aggravating factor.

roadman65

I don't care about the language as much as the attitude of the people behind it.   I do hate when though they speak of you behind your back due to your own ignorance of their language.

One time I knew a guy who was PR, but looked white.  Some other PRs thought he did not know Spanish and were critical of his character and thought they could talk bad about him and did.  We're they surprised when they found out he knew Espanol but that he was also a brother Puerto Rican.  He confronted them by telling them in Spanish he understands perfectly what they were saying and he was not Anglo Saxon but full blown Puerto Rican.

On another note in certain situations one language is critical.  Just read about the Canary Island Air Disaster that forced all control towers international to conform to English when there was ambiguity among communication that led to a 747 taking off in heavy fog colliding with another 747 still on the runway.  Even English phrases like " Clear for takeoff"  had to re phrased because it was too ambiguous as before it meant clear for queue for take off. Now " Clear for Departure"  is used and takeoff means to start movement on Runway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2021, 09:48:32 AM
I don't care about the language as much as the attitude of the people behind it.   I do hate when though they speak of you behind your back due to your own ignorance of their language.

One time I knew a guy who was PR, but looked white.  Some other PRs thought he did not know Spanish and were critical of his character and thought they could talk bad about him and did.  We're they surprised when they found out he knew Espanol but that he was also a brother Puerto Rican.  He confronted them by telling them in Spanish he understands perfectly what they were saying and he was not Anglo Saxon but full blown Puerto Rican.

On another note in certain situations one language is critical.  Just read about the Canary Island Air Disaster that forced all control towers international to conform to English when there was ambiguity among communication that led to a 747 taking off in heavy fog colliding with another 747 still on the runway.  Even English phrases like " Clear for takeoff"  had to re phrased because it was too ambiguous as before it meant clear for queue for take off. Now " Clear for Departure"  is used and takeoff means to start movement on Runway.
Air traffic control is one job where I do agree it is critical to have one uniform language.

Scott5114

I don't doubt anyone is disputing that in safety-critical situations, steps to ensure clear communications, such as enforcing use of English, is acceptable.

Aviation radio usage is actually codified as "phraseology" where specific English phrases are keyed to specific meanings. All communications meaning a certain thing must be phrased in the prescribed way; no synonyms or alternate phrasings are allowed. One could theoretically become proficient in aviation phraseology without ever learning the underlying English language, though there are sometimes unusual situations that need to be communicated where no phraseology exists, so use of the wider English language becomes necessary then.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2021, 09:48:32 AM

Who cares what they have to say? They could always be texting each other behind your back or talking about you in English later on when you're not around. The easiest way to make this not be an issue is not bothering to care about the opinions of people that do such things.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.