News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on May 17, 2022, 12:04:00 AM

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2022, 11:11:26 PM
Here's an interesting light I stumbled upon: https://youtu.be/NleEmMbvMO4

What the duck?

I'm not a signal guy, so correct me if I'm wrong, but...  doesn't this work functionally the same as a standard RYG light with right-turn arrows?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: plain on May 17, 2022, 10:11:51 AM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2022, 11:11:26 PM
Here's an interesting light I stumbled upon: https://youtu.be/NleEmMbvMO4

iPhone

What a ridiculous setup. That bottom arrow on the 4-section is completely unnecessary. It just needs to be a standard left turn signal.
It's even weirder bc the left lane is a shared left and right turn lane

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Hobart

Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2022, 12:46:00 PM
For the record, I don't believe California has any rules about signal-per-lane. That is a recommendation within the MUTCD, but California has historically had quite a unique set of rules for signal placement and operation. Distinct enough that I doubt they even recognize the MUTCD's recommendation. Not that they really need to, I prefer California's strategy ten-fold.

I think Alaska is the same about the signal per lane discussion, they have a table in their own state MUTCD that gives a certain number of overhead signals on an approach that's not one overhead signal per lane, and requires a far right supplemental signal to be mounted.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jakeroot

Quote from: Hobart on May 17, 2022, 05:40:04 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2022, 12:46:00 PM
For the record, I don't believe California has any rules about signal-per-lane. That is a recommendation within the MUTCD, but California has historically had quite a unique set of rules for signal placement and operation. Distinct enough that I doubt they even recognize the MUTCD's recommendation. Not that they really need to, I prefer California's strategy ten-fold.

I think Alaska is the same about the signal per lane discussion, they have a table in their own state MUTCD that gives a certain number of overhead signals on an approach that's not one overhead signal per lane, and requires a far right supplemental signal to be mounted.

Very true. For example, I don't think I've seen a double left turn in Alaska that has more than one overhead left turn signal. Every double left turn has a single overhead left turn signal, and a far-left corner left turn signal.

Alaska actually has some of the best signals in the US, and it rarely seems to get much recognition. I know supplemental left corner signals are required for all approaches that don't use fully-permissive phasing, and far-right supplemental signals are mandatory.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Hvdok6admkGeDKzBA

What kind of signal is that red x on the two section for?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fwydriver405

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2022, 08:38:50 PM

If I had to ask, maybe a MUNI (bus) queue jump to go straight (or even left)?

roadman65

Quote from: fwydriver405 on May 17, 2022, 09:00:45 PM

I'm not from there.  In Florida we use white PRR positional signals in a three section head for buses.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Roadman65, I assume you're referring to traditional Pennsylvania Railroad position-light signals, in the form of white rectangular bars in the signal heads?

Didn't know you were a railroad buff! LOL

Big John

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2022, 11:33:39 PM

I'm not from there.  In Florida we use white PRR positional signals in a three section head for buses.

See below.

Quote from: San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
Upgrading the T: Weigh in on a New Type of Train Signal on 3rd Street
Rachel Hyden, 22—FEB-2017

Implementing a Standard, Concise Design for Train Signals

Currently, Muni trains are guided by three different types of train signals. We're in the process of upgrading 400 signals along the T Line to one uniform system within the next few months.

The three designs used for existing train signals (left) which will be consolidated into one standard type of signal (right).
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

djlynch

Stumbled across these signals in Cancun when looking at Street View - RGB LED matrix panels instead of separate lights. https://www.google.com/maps/@21.1742923,-86.8268313,3a,82.6y,244.25h,96.39t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s3WYGeifU8LYMch94MzsPdg!2e0!5s20161201T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Dirt Roads

Quote from: roadman65 on May 17, 2022, 11:33:39 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2022, 09:37:01 AM
See below.

Currently, Muni trains are guided by three different types of train signals. We're in the process of upgrading 400 signals along the T Line to one uniform system within the next few months.

The three designs used for existing train signals (left) which will be consolidated into one standard type of signal (right).

Oh, that's interesting.  I like this concept, but the red "lowered semaphore" is specifically not recommended by MUTCD because the red lens can be illuminated by sunshine and therefore be misinterpreted by automotive traffic.  That being said, I'm pretty sure that it is not specifically discouraged because a misinterpreted red traffic signal is not inherently unsafe (even though there are some safety issues related to the next car seeing a green signal).  I doubt that there are any situations where a red (or lunar white) "lowered semaphore" transit signal is displayed for a route where automotive traffic is given a green phase.

Fun fact:  What Roadman65 affectionately calls "PRR positional signals" is an attempt by certain railroads to duplicate the position of a magnetically-activated semaphore blade with an attached multiple-lens searchlight signal head.  The Baltimore and Ohio had color position light (CPL) signals and the Pennsylvania Railroad (along with the Norfolk and Western and others) had position light signals.  The top-and-bottom positions are for a clear aspect (no obstruction ahead in the next two blocks, a situation where the semaphore blade is standing straight up (to simulate a signalman with a lantern held up).  The 45-degree diagonal positions are for an approach aspect (approach next signal prepared to stop).  The left-and-right positions are for a stop aspect, a situation where the semaphore blade has a lowered arm (to simulate a signalman with a lantern held out).  The B&O had green-yellow-red lenses in these positions, respectively; whereas the PRR simply used lunar white lenses all the way around. 

By the way, there is another position (the minus-45-degree semaphore blade) which is a "call-on signal" where the dispatcher has specifically granted the train permission to pass a stop signal.  Those are always lunar white, no matter which railroad and what type of signal.  (Don't get this confused with what other railroads used as lower-quadrant semaphores).

plain

Quote from: djlynch on May 22, 2022, 05:45:01 PM
Stumbled across these signals in Cancun when looking at Street View - RGB LED matrix panels instead of separate lights. https://www.google.com/maps/@21.1742923,-86.8268313,3a,82.6y,244.25h,96.39t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s3WYGeifU8LYMch94MzsPdg!2e0!5s20161201T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Yeah various parts of Mexico have been using those for quite a while now.
Newark born, Richmond bred

SignBridge

Dirt Roads, Pennsy used yellow in their position-light signals. White was only used in dwarf signals.

kphoger

Quote from: plain on May 22, 2022, 08:58:00 PM

As I mentioned at some point on some thread:  what wasn't immediately obvious to me when I first started seeing them in Mexico is that they only have one aspect per signal.  I guess you'd better hope the affected colorblind drivers know how to read!
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on May 23, 2022, 03:02:04 PM

As I mentioned at some point on some thread:  what wasn't immediately obvious to me when I first started seeing them in Mexico is that they only have one aspect per signal.  I guess you'd better hope the affected colorblind drivers know how to read!

To be fair, the red ALTO light is on top and the green SIGA light is on the bottom... and any rate, looking at newer imagery, it looks like the dot-matrix part is still there but they dispensed with the words and now it just looks like a regular traffic light.

Hobart

Quote from: US 89 on May 23, 2022, 04:49:48 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 23, 2022, 03:02:04 PM

To be fair, the red ALTO light is on top and the green SIGA light is on the bottom... and any rate, looking at newer imagery, it looks like the dot-matrix part is still there but they dispensed with the words and now it just looks like a regular traffic light.

I'm frankly still not a huge fan of them. I feel like there's more to go wrong and that they're more difficult to service. They just... don't look right to me I guess.

kphoger

To be fair, the red ALTO light is on top and the green SIGA light is on the bottom...

Cool, thanks for pointing that out.

I see the same is true at a horizontal signal I'm familiar with as well.

Red ball is on the left, green ball is on the right.
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2022, 09:37:01 AM

Very interesting that they decided to use red in the final design. The third pattern (with the two white bars) they're changing out is the only one of these that is MUTCD-compliant.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SignBridge

Does Calif. have a State Supplement to the Federal Manual? If they do, does it maybe authorize the red stop bar to be used?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Hobart

Quote from: Lukeisroads on May 26, 2022, 07:55:34 PM
Wonder why you need three lights WHEN YOU CANT U TURN OR LEFT https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4412251,-119.0473766,3a,49.1y,270.57h,93.34t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syGZj6DA4vGSWkVhjn0qHTA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DyGZj6DA4vGSWkVhjn0qHTA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D196.8536%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

They could have had that many signals on the mast arm in case the cross street gets extended across and the leftmost signal needs to be changed out for a left turn one.

I do agree though, three thru signals overhead for one direction is a bit much. I know the MUTCD advises one overhead per lane, but two thru signals and the right supplemental thru signal should be perfectly fine, especially considering that's what they're doing on the oncoming approach.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 10:04:06 AM
To be fair, the red ALTO light is on top and the green SIGA light is on the bottom...

Cool, thanks for pointing that out.

I see the same is true at a horizontal signal I'm familiar with as well.

Red ball is on the left, green ball is on the right.

That one is...less great. With the red/green background, it could be kind of hard to tell which end is the ball if you're far enough away that you can't read the text.

Quote from: Hobart on May 23, 2022, 06:37:45 PM
I'm frankly still not a huge fan of them. I feel like there's more to go wrong and that they're more difficult to service. They just... don't look right to me I guess.

LED panels like that are cheap enough nowadays if anything went wrong you could probably replace the whole signal head and it wouldn't be too much more expensive than replacing a single aspect in a traditional signal.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.