News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on September 16, 2022, 03:30:46 PM
Just discovered that the state of Indiana has reconfigured the merge from the I 465 ramps to US 31 on the north side of Indianapolis to have two dedicated lanes from the I 465 ramps onto US 31.   Traffic from Meridian street now has to merge down to a single lane to make room for the new configuration.    This should help with the daily backups of traffic on these ramps (not to mention the semi truck that maliciously tried to run me over under the old configuration when merging last week).

This is wonderful! that was a horrible merge!

monty

That's a good move! Wish INDOT could also allow two lanes from SB US 31 to WB I465 for the same reason. But 465 probably doesn't have the capacity to accept them yet.
monty

Great Lakes Roads

It looks like INDOT has released some design plans for redoing the Michigan Avenue bridge and the interchange on the south side of IN 912.

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/3_CE4_1703011_released_PIPLANS.pdf
https://www.in.gov/indot/files/2_CE4_1703011_released_PI_GRAPHICS.pdf

At or around the same time, they are going to replace the pavement on the ramps and a section of the mainline. The exit from SR 912 eastbound to Michigan Avenue (Ramp 4A) will close for good, and they are going to remove the pavement.
https://www.in.gov/indot/files/CE1_1800067_released_PI2of3_App_B_plans.pdf

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on September 17, 2022, 08:52:54 PM
That's a good move! Wish INDOT could also allow two lanes from SB US 31 to WB I465 for the same reason. But 465 probably doesn't have the capacity to accept them yet.

i'm sure they'll do something like that in the future. aren't they redoing 465 on that side of town eventually? i remember seeing something in the news about a public meeting for something on 465 over there.  :hmmm:

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 18, 2022, 07:24:31 PM
Quote from: monty on September 17, 2022, 08:52:54 PM

i'm sure they'll do something like that in the future. aren't they redoing 465 on that side of town eventually? i remember seeing something in the news about a public meeting for something on 465 over there.  :hmmm:

see https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/home/i-465-northwest-improvements-project/

silverback1065

ah yes that's it! maybe they'll fix it as part of that job.

tdindy88

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on here but I found out about this over the weekend.

https://i65safetyandefficiency.com/

I hate the name of this project, but it sounds pretty cool nonetheless. It's the widening of I-65 between the South Split and I-465 in Indianapolis. The project calls for an extra lane to be added on the inside shoulder of the highway along with some bridge work on a few of the overpasses/underpasses.

I'm guessing the four lanes will split evenly at the South Split with two lanes to I-65 north and two to I-70 west. Likewise the two lanes coming from the north and the west will come together to form the four lanes southbound. The on ramp from Morris Street heading south can be an auxiliary lane to Raymond St. With plans to widen the bridge over Pleasant Run I would guess that to be the plan. At the south end I'm guessing the rightmost of the four lanes will exit off onto I-465.

The project will sadly probably eliminate an inside shoulder that's well-used by state troopers between Raymond and Keystone. It will also probably be the end of some of the only remaining button-copy signage left in the city.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 19, 2022, 05:32:44 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet on here but I found out about this over the weekend.

I hate the name of this project, but it sounds pretty cool nonetheless. It's the widening of I-65 between the South Split and I-465 in Indianapolis. The project calls for an extra lane to be added on the inside shoulder of the highway along with some bridge work on a few of the overpasses/underpasses.

I'm guessing the four lanes will split evenly at the South Split with two lanes to I-65 north and two to I-70 west. Likewise the two lanes coming from the north and the west will come together to form the four lanes southbound. The on ramp from Morris Street heading south can be an auxiliary lane to Raymond St. With plans to widen the bridge over Pleasant Run I would guess that to be the plan. At the south end I'm guessing the rightmost of the four lanes will exit off onto I-465.

The project will sadly probably eliminate an inside shoulder that's well-used by state troopers between Raymond and Keystone. It will also probably be the end of some of the only remaining button-copy signage left in the city.

I don't recall ever being on this segment of I-65 during rush hour, so I wouldn't know how badly that extra lane is needed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

ya that is a terrible name  :-D

Great Lakes Roads

Saying the name of this specific project is really hard for me to comprehend since I will call this the "I-65 widening project between the I-465 interchange and the South Split interchange".

sbeaver44

Indiana Toll Road exit from US 131 has no functional overhead EZPass reader, so you have to hand your EZPass to the attendant.

Yesterday, at the I-90 State Line tolls into Chicago, lots of EZPass or gate malfunctions caused a huge backup.

I'm from PA – is this normal?  I see on the Google Maps reviews of the Westpoint booth it seems to be a recurring problem.

What's going on with the Toll Road?

Also, ORT would be pretty cool at a mainline plaza...

ilpt4u

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 20, 2022, 12:08:52 AM
Indiana Toll Road exit from US 131 has no functional overhead EZPass reader, so you have to hand your EZPass to the attendant.

Yesterday, at the I-90 State Line tolls into Chicago, lots of EZPass or gate malfunctions caused a huge backup.

I'm from PA – is this normal?  I see on the Google Maps reviews of the Westpoint booth it seems to be a recurring problem.

Wonder how that one works if you have the License Plate Mounted EZPass/I-Pass?

Rothman

Sounds like what happens when a state turns over a toll facility to a private operator:  The private business milks it for profit and keeps their expenses to a minimum to the detriment of the traveling public.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 19, 2022, 07:25:03 PM

I don't recall ever being on this segment of I-65 during rush hour, so I wouldn't know how badly that extra lane is needed.

That name is awful, but if they called it something like "65 widening project" the anti-highway people (aka RETHINK) will jump all over this...but I think they will anyway.

Before the North Split project, northbound 65 would backup before the South Split during the morning rush, but mainly due to people jockeying to get into the correct lane before the split.

Personally, I would have 3 right lanes split off to 65 with the right most lane turning into the Washington St off ramp and the 2 left lanes continue onto 70 west. Also, I would add PROPER signage indicating the 2nd to left lane will go both ways. Currently, unsuspecting drivers do not know the middle lane will take them both directions until they are at the gore point. Also, signage to indicate the Meridian St exit at the South Split would also be nice.

silverback1065

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on September 20, 2022, 04:14:07 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 19, 2022, 07:25:03 PM

That name is awful, but if they called it something like "65 widening project" the anti-highway people (aka RETHINK) will jump all over this...but I think they will anyway.

Before the North Split project, northbound 65 would backup before the South Split during the morning rush, but mainly due to people jockeying to get into the correct lane before the split.

Personally, I would have 3 right lanes split off to 65 with the right most lane turning into the Washington St off ramp and the 2 left lanes continue onto 70 west. Also, I would add PROPER signage indicating the 2nd to left lane will go both ways. Currently, unsuspecting drivers do not know the middle lane will take them both directions until they are at the gore point. Also, signage to indicate the Meridian St exit at the South Split would also be nice.

i'm not sure why they changed the name of that exit from mccarty to meridian. that road the highway dumps you onto is madison ave. maybe theyll put up new signs. the signs at the split are very old.

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 20, 2022, 04:16:47 PM

i'm not sure why they changed the name of that exit from mccarty to meridian. that road the highway dumps you onto is madison ave. maybe theyll put up new signs. the signs at the split are very old.

That was done before the Superbowl. The link of thinking was Meridian St was one of the most important streets in the city and wanted to make it easy for people to find it.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on September 20, 2022, 07:01:31 AM

Sounds like what happens when a state turns over a toll facility to a private operator:  The private business milks it for profit and keeps their expenses to a minimum to the detriment of the traveling public.

At some point though, it sure would be nice for the state to step in and mandate updates somehow. I was on the ITR and Skyway for the first time in years a few weekends ago, and it's antiquated how the system is run. It's not even like a 15 MPH but keep moving thing. You have to completely stop and wait for a gate. It's less safe and more inefficient.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

PurdueBill

In 2011, at yes, US 131/SR 13, getting back on they had an attendant out handing out tickets because "the E-ZPass reader isn't working".  Of course, sitting in line and paying instead of using E-ZPass later, and then getting dinged for a toll from the Ohio line to the Skyway because it still read it exiting despite hiding it and their assurances that it would not read, and fighting for months with MassPike (my E-ZPass provider) to get it credited....yep, it's nothing new--that very exit has had problems before.

silverback1065

ooo looks like the mods pinned this thread! good idea.  :clap:

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 17, 2022, 12:06:57 PM
Just discovered that the state of Indiana has reconfigured the merge from the I 465 ramps to US 31 on the north side of Indianapolis to have two dedicated lanes from the I 465 ramps onto US 31.   Traffic from Meridian street now has to merge down to a single lane to make room for the new configuration.    This should help with the daily backups of traffic on these ramps (not to mention the semi truck that maliciously tried to run me over under the old configuration when merging last week).

Drove through this interchange today on the way home from Costco.   It is soooooo nice to be able to get onto US 31 without the stress of having to merge with the opposing I465 ramp beforehand.  Traffic is flowing smoothly with the new configuration.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on September 21, 2022, 07:10:46 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 17, 2022, 12:06:57 PM

Drove through this interchange today on the way home from Costco.   It is soooooo nice to be able to get onto US 31 without the stress of having to merge with the opposing I465 ramp beforehand.  Traffic is flowing smoothly with the new configuration.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SSR_317

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on September 20, 2022, 04:56:39 PM

That was done before the Superbowl. The link of thinking was Meridian St was one of the most important streets in the city and wanted to make it easy for people to find it.
Well if you head north far enough on Madison Ave it becomes Meridian St (at South St). McCarty St was and is the first E-W intersection at the north terminus of the ramp, with Madison Ave being the through (NB) movement there.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 24, 2022, 12:03:49 PM
Quote from: FixThe74Sign on September 20, 2022, 04:56:39 PM

Well if you head north far enough on Madison Ave it becomes Meridian St (at South St). McCarty St was and is the first E-W intersection at the north terminus of the ramp, with Madison Ave being the through (NB) movement there.

The best way to sign this would be

MADISON AVE

TO MERIDIAN ST
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Great Lakes Roads

https://fox59.com/video/indot-looking-for-community-feedback-to-help-address-improvements-along-parts-of-i-465/8100675/

https://cbs4indy.com/indiana-news/indot-seeks-community-input-for-i-465-improvements/

INDOT is seeking community feedback on a section of I-465 between 86th Street (Exit 23) and US 31/Meridian Street (Exit 31).

Oh, and here is the presentation from the meeting:
https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/files/20221013-I-465_CAC-Meeting-Presentation.pdf

Construction is not expected to begin until 2024.

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 24, 2022, 11:04:25 PM
https://fox59.com/video/indot-looking-for-community-feedback-to-help-address-improvements-along-parts-of-i-465/8100675/

https://cbs4indy.com/indiana-news/indot-seeks-community-input-for-i-465-improvements/

INDOT is seeking community feedback on a section of I-465 between 86th Street (Exit 23) and US 31/Meridian Street (Exit 31).

Oh, and here is the presentation from the meeting:
https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/files/20221013-I-465_CAC-Meeting-Presentation.pdf

Construction is not expected to begin until 2024.

So happy to see this happen  :clap: hate this stretch of 465  :banghead: smashed my car on this stretch and nearly lost a loved one. very dangerous! I also see they aren't signing US 52 at the 865 interchange  :-/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.