News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mississippi

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbalducc

Incredible that it took so long to reconstruct a few miles of highway.  I think this was something that should have been constructed at least 20 years ago.
https://www.wapt.com/article/highway-49-construction-in-rankin-county-nearly-complete/39861885#

golden eagle

I was working in that area when construction first started. Coming up on 4-5 years now.

msunat97

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 02, 2022, 02:22:33 PM
As for beginning to construct the remainder of the Greenville Bypass, it certainly took them long enough!
This is great news, but you are exactly right.  This took forever.

MoiraPrime

I just found something that may make froggie very very angry

This is current OpenStreetMap data at Silver Creek overlaid with the MDOT Centerlines data from MARIS. MDOT internal data has this road labeled as US 43 Alternate????

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/107177720#map=13/31.5585/-90.0168

froggie

Considering I had just cleaned that up a few months ago, yes I am displeased.  43A is not a state (or US) route.  If you can fix it, please do so.

MoiraPrime

That's not something I can really fix. That's the data MDOT has in their linear reference model. I think it might be kinda considered a MS 43 Alternate, but it's not maintained by the state and instead locally maintained by the county... thus the weird designation.

I fixed a similar issue up in north Mississippi.

MDOT built a bypass of MS 25 around Amory. The old routing of MS 25 was still there, and the new routing someone had labeled "MS 25 Bypass". It turns out that MDOT turned the old route over to local governments and made the bypass the new route.

Local governments, to reduce confusion, decided to name the old routing of MS 25 as "Highway 125". They couldn't name it "Old Highway 25" because there's already an Old Highway 25... and having roads with the same name like that leads to confusion when someone inevitably has to call 911.

cbalducc

I see there's a plan to four-lane State Highway 27 between Vicksburg and Crystal Springs.  This would allow people in and around Vicksburg to access I-55 without driving through Jackson.  But is a four lane really necessary in this sparsely-populated part of the state?  There is also a proposal to four-lane US Highway 61 from Leland to Redwood.  I don't think this is necessary, as the population in the Delta has been dwindling for decades.  But there are places where 61 could be realigned to shave a few miles off of the journey.  This could be done by constructing a new highway on portions of a long-abandoned railroad right of way.

codyg1985

Quote from: cbalducc on August 24, 2022, 01:37:08 PM
I see there's a plan to four-lane State Highway 27 between Vicksburg and Crystal Springs.  This would allow people in and around Vicksburg to access I-55 without driving through Jackson.  But is a four lane really necessary in this sparsely-populated part of the state?  There is also a proposal to four-lane US Highway 61 from Leland to Redwood.  I don't think this is necessary, as the population in the Delta has been dwindling for decades.  But there are places where 61 could be realigned to shave a few miles off of the journey.  This could be done by constructing a new highway on portions of a long-abandoned railroad right of way.

Build these with straighter two lane facilities with occasional passing lanes.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

formulanone

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 24, 2022, 03:23:23 PM
Quote from: cbalducc on August 24, 2022, 01:37:08 PM

Build these with straighter two lane facilities with occasional passing lanes.

Mississippi has very few passing lanes on its two-lane roads.

cjk374

Trust me....MS 27 needs to be 4-laned. It is a very well-traveled highway. On I-55 the BGSs for exit 72 used to have Vicksburg listed. In an effort to reduce traffic, it was left off of the new signs. But the secret is out...MS 27 is an excellent Jackson bypass.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

wriddle082

Quote from: cjk374 on August 26, 2022, 12:53:51 PM
Trust me....MS 27 needs to be 4-laned. It is a very well-traveled highway. On I-55 the BGSs for exit 72 used to have Vicksburg listed. In an effort to reduce traffic, it was left off of the new signs. But the secret is out...MS 27 is an excellent Jackson bypass.

And taking it further east to MS 28 and US 49 looks like a good way to get to Hattiesburg and beyond to the beaches of AL and NW FL.

froggie

Quote from: cjk374 on August 26, 2022, 12:53:51 PM

It's traveled, but not to the extent that it needs to be 4-laned.  Nowhere between Vicksburg and Crystal Springs does 27 break 5K ADT, and volumes in Warren County are actually lower now than they were when I lived in Mississippi 14 years ago, and 27 was okay then.

Could it be improved?  Sure...wider shoulders, turn lanes, an occasional passing lane.  But it doesn't scream 4 lanes to me.

cbalducc

There is a Google Maps street view updated to August of some portions of Highway 27.  You can see a couple of new bridges being built, including one over the Big Black River.

cbalducc

Quote from: MoiraPrime on August 03, 2022, 02:23:39 PM
That's not something I can really fix. That's the data MDOT has in their linear reference model. I think it might be kinda considered a MS 43 Alternate, but it's not maintained by the state and instead locally maintained by the county... thus the weird designation.

I fixed a similar issue up in north Mississippi.

MDOT built a bypass of MS 25 around Amory. The old routing of MS 25 was still there, and the new routing someone had labeled "MS 25 Bypass". It turns out that MDOT turned the old route over to local governments and made the bypass the new route.

Local governments, to reduce confusion, decided to name the old routing of MS 25 as "Highway 125". They couldn't name it "Old Highway 25" because there's already an Old Highway 25... and having roads with the same name like that leads to confusion when someone inevitably has to call 911.
I don't see the point of this bypass. 

froggie

Quote from: cbalducc on September 23, 2022, 11:38:08 PM
Quote from: MoiraPrime on August 03, 2022, 02:23:39 PM

I don't see the point of this bypass. 

MDOT has a long term plan for a full eastern bypass of Amory for MS 25.  They only had the funding to build this part south of 278, thus far.

They also have a plan for a southern Amory bypass for 278, but that's even further out.

codyg1985

Google Maps Imagery now shows the construction of MS 76/Corridor V between MS 25 and MS 23.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rte66man

Quote from: cbalducc on September 18, 2022, 01:13:14 PM
There is a Google Maps street view updated to August of some portions of Highway 27.  You can see a couple of new bridges being built, including one over the Big Black River.

Will they keep the older bridge and 4 lane that section?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

cjk374

Quote from: rte66man on September 30, 2022, 10:08:39 AM
Quote from: cbalducc on September 18, 2022, 01:13:14 PM

Will they keep the older bridge and 4 lane that section?

I don't know officially, but those old bridges were old, a bit narrow, and a little rough. Not ruling it out, but I would hope they replace the old bridges with new ones one way or the other.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MoiraPrime

A bunch of stuff has happened lately in Harrison county. They finished building the new bridges over Flat Branch in Gulfport, and seem to have resurfaced the road between the railroad tracks at Creosote Road all the way to the area where they rebuilt those bridges.

HemiCRZ

I've noticed that MDOT bid out a project last month to upgrade MS 57 to a four-lane facility from I-10 north to Vancleave, roughly 9 miles. The project is for grade/bridge/pave.

Has this been in the works for some time? I've never thought there was enough space between the existing road and existing development along that corridor to allow for a four-lane divided facility, and frankly, this is the first time I've heard of the project.
Interstate Highways that I've Driven On:
I-5, I-8, I-10, I-20, I-24, I-40, I-55, I-59, I-264, I-65, I-70, I-270, I-71, I-75, I-79, I-376, I-80, I-580, I-680, I-93, I-293

froggie

^ That project has been talked about at least since the mid-2000s.  I distinctly remember it being studied when I was stationed at Stennis (2005-2008).  I don't remember if it existed in my Meridian days (1998-2001).

The plan is to twin 57 up to Gautier-Vancleve Rd, then build a bypass west of Vancleve, returning to the existing alignment near Mariposa Ln.

Here's a WLOX story from 2017, when the project was previously going to start but was put on hold due to having its funding pulled.

Here's a Corps of Engineers release from April talking a little about the wetlands permit MDOT requested for the project.

Stephane Dumas

I saw by luck this old study about Airport Pkwy and MS-25 connectors published in 1999 on Google books.
https://books.google.ca/books/about/Airport_Parkway_and_Mississippi_25_Conne.html?id=7co1AQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

MoiraPrime

Something I have a question about....

I see a few old instances of business routes in Mississippi. They're extremely uncommon in general but sprinkled throughout old topo maps and stale TIGER data, you'll see references in Laurel to a MS 15 Business route and a US 84 Business Route. Are these still existing but unsigned, or long decommissioned? What's the deal here?

74/171FAN

I thought that the US 61 and US 84 BUS routes posted in Natchez have been long decommissioned.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

oscar

Mississippi seems to use MS 1xx state routes instead of business US routes (for example, MS 145, MS 178, MS 184, MS 198). I don't know whether all the MS 1xx routes used to be signed as Business US xx.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.