News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwalk

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 23, 2017, 09:25:50 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 23, 2017, 12:51:58 PM
ODOT has recently completed a corridor enhancement project on US 250 in the Sandusky area, mainly in the commercial strip between Bogart Rd and Perkins Ave. This includes repaving most of the road, adding or improving turn lanes, adding sidewalks, adding new signals, improving intersections and also focused heavily on access management by converting most non signalized driveways to right-in-right-out. This is a heavily used stretch of road by both the local and tourist populations.

Some things I've noticed about the new signage:

- all traffic signals and overhead signage are now on mast arms (which are all a decorative green)

From all of the doghouses, I take it Ohio is not a fan of flashing yellow arrows?

The flashing yellow arrow is not used in this part of Ohio. Not sure about other areas....

frankenroad

I have not seen a flashing yellow arrow anywhere in Ohio - but there are some right across the river in Northern Kentucky (specifically at Dixie Highway (25/42/127) at I-71/75.)
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Rothman

Quote from: Buck87 on January 23, 2017, 06:37:51 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 23, 2017, 05:00:48 PM
I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )

Agreed, the Appalachian accent is definitely different than the deep south accent, and it extends into parts of Ohio as well.
Thirded.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

busman_49

Quote from: frankenroad on January 24, 2017, 10:04:07 AM
I have not seen a flashing yellow arrow anywhere in Ohio - but there are some right across the river in Northern Kentucky (specifically at Dixie Highway (25/42/127) at I-71/75.)

Dayton at Dixie Drive & Wagner Ford Rd.; West Chester at Tylersville Rd & Kingsridge Dr, and OH 741 at Bethany Rd. are three that I know of.

hbelkins

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 23, 2017, 08:46:42 PM
If you've got an unskilled labor job in Columbus, you'd better learn how to understand the Appalachian accent very quickly. The reason I say "learn to understand" is that I have worked with people whose accent was so thick that I couldn't understand some things they said initially (even though my mother is from Appalachian Ohio)... and that can be dangerous in that sort of environment. Wherever they were from, it was all the way up the 'holler. These folks have been in Columbus a long time too. You aren't going to lose your Appalachian accent living and working on the South Side. There's a big difference between the way people talk in Monroe County and the Northern Panhandle of WV as compared to SW WV or SE KY. Also you can hear much more Southern influence in the speech patterns of people from East Tennessee.

My wife (native of the Dayton, Ohio area; although her parents were both from our hometown) and I both laugh whenever we're watching "Moonshiners" and see the subtitles. We understand what they're saying perfectly, even ol' Jim Tom.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Major change coming to Reagan/Montgomery exit
Map: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.22265,-84.35809&z=16&t=H

The stub end of OH 126 in Montgomery, once part of a freeway that was to extend further east, will be reconfigured into a roundabout. It will serve as an entrance to a major new development near downtown.

frankenroad

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on January 24, 2017, 02:35:09 PM
Major change coming to Reagan/Montgomery exit
Map: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.22265,-84.35809&z=16&t=H

The stub end of OH 126 in Montgomery, once part of a freeway that was to extend further east, will be reconfigured into a roundabout. It will serve as an entrance to a major new development near downtown.

I saw this a couple weeks ago....I'll be curious to see how traffic will be maintained during construction.  It's an unusual change is it's going from grade-separated to at-grade.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Buck87

What's traffic typically like through there? I've been through that interchange a few times as a passenger while visiting a friend who was living in Remington at the time, though that's been nearly 10 years ago and I don't remember much about the traffic flow. I do recall thinking that was a weird place for the Ronald Reagan to come to an abrupt end....too bad they were never able to finish it all the way east to I-275. 

frankenroad

Never got finished because of NIMBYism.....the area it would have gone through is very exclusive (one of the highest income ZIP codes in the state).   I always thought that they could have made a nice parkway (no trucks) to extend the highway to Wards Corner Rd, but I do not know if that option was ever on the table.

As far as traffic, I do not go through there often, and when I do, it's not usually rush hour.  Traffic on Montgomery Road just north of this interchange gets bad during both AM and PM rushes.

Buck87

Quote from: thenetwork on January 23, 2017, 09:01:22 PM
I'm old enough to remember US-250 being just a 2-lane road from the Turnpike to Bogart Road.  Bumper-to-bumper Cedar Point traffic in the morning and signs for The Blue Hole which damn near seemed like every hundred feet.

I can remember it being 2 lane as well, that section was widened to its current 5 lane configuration in 2002.

I don't remember the Blue Hole signs, as it was sadly closed to the public when I was 3. Though on a side note, while that Blue Hole is closed, there is another nearby blue hole that can be visited by the general public at the Castalia State Fish Hatchery (not nearly as built up though, it just has one little railing-less dock you can view it from)

vtk

A few weeks ago, I was northbound on I-71 coming out of Cincinnati towards the end of the evening rush.  I stopped at the Arby's on Montgomery Rd, and while I was in there, there must have been some kind of accident on 71.  Traffic on the freeway was completely stopped, and a police car blocked the northbound entrance ramp.  So I took Montgomery Rd to the Reagan back to 71.  Traffic on this alternate route was moving along just fine, somehow.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vtk

Quote from: Buck87 on January 24, 2017, 04:59:34 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 23, 2017, 09:01:22 PM
I'm old enough to remember US-250 being just a 2-lane road from the Turnpike to Bogart Road.  Bumper-to-bumper Cedar Point traffic in the morning and signs for The Blue Hole which damn near seemed like every hundred feet.

I can remember it being 2 lane as well, that section was widened to its current 5 lane configuration in 2002.

I don't remember the Blue Hole signs, as it was sadly closed to the public when I was 3. Though on a side note, while that Blue Hole is closed, there is another nearby blue hole that can be visited by the general public at the Castalia State Fish Hatchery (not nearly as built up though, it just has one little railing-less dock you can view it from)

How about "The Earth Crack" at Seneca Caverns? I've never been, but since we're talking about holes in the ground...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

JMoses24

Quote from: frankenroad on January 17, 2017, 03:07:24 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM
Surprisingly a general thread for Ohio-related news hasn't been started, so here it is.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D08/Pages/I-71-MLK-Interchange-Project-Info.aspx
The official MLK Drive Project page from ODOT has a nice timeline for progress on the interchange. I couldn't find any newer information about the project. Anyone have new information on the project's progress?

The timeline here has not been updated in a couple years, but I think it is mostly still accurate - they do periodically add notifications when there are lane closings (as of today, the latest one is dated 12/19/16.)

My personal observations are that the ramp from MLK to northbound 71 is very close to opening.   I understand that when it is opened, the McMillan on-ramp is going to be shut down for a time for re-vamping.  I would expect this in the March-April 17 time frame.  It would also appear that the Taft Rd exit will have to be closed at least for a weekend if not longer when the new southbound exit ramps for MLK and Taft have the final touches put on them.  They may choose to do this when UC is not in session.   I would assume that the onramp from MLK to southbound 71 would open around the same time.   I don't know if the plan is to open all the ramps simultaneously or not.

I assume that MLK will be Exit 4 - can anyone confirm that?

FWIW, UC's Spring Break is March 13-19. If they're going to time it to coincide with UC being off, that's when.

That, or after final exams April 22-27.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on January 26, 2017, 11:00:46 PM
How about "The Earth Crack" at Seneca Caverns? I've never been, but since we're talking about holes in the ground...

It's a very unique cave, in that it formed due to a subsurface collapse rather than being slowly carved out by water like most caves. It's also left really close to its natural state, so there's not the typical concrete path with railings everywhere, but rather natural surface floors and rocks used as steps with a lot of climbing involved. The cave is made up of a series of levels stacked on top of each other, and how deep you can go on the tour depends on the water table, which fluctuates all year long based on rainfall, with the deepest you can get on a tour being 110 feet when the 7th level is dry. One thing this cave does not have much of is formations, just a few tiny stalactites.

The Ghostbuster

There is an Ohio thread in both the Midwest/Great Lakes and the Ohio Valley Regional Boards. Could the two be merged, or differentiated from one another?

Buck87

<sigh>

Can we not do this in this thread? The Ohio thread in the Ohio Valley forum has already been dominated by discussion about how Ohio should be divided/what to do with these threads , and it would suck to see that happen to this thread too.

Perhaps a new thread about this subject in the Suggestions and Questions forum would be a better place to hash this stuff out and bring it to the attention of the admins.

Sykotyk

Not sure where to put this, but figured this would be as good of a place as any. Don't think this qualifies as 'fictional roads' since we're discussing a real road.

Someone on another board (non-road related, and I won't give out the URL) has gotten the bright idea that Canton would be so much better if I-77 were boulevardized essentially the entire length of the US62 multiplex. That being either just north of Fulton Rd to US30, or including what would be US62 as an 'intersection' north of Fulton Rd.

Their argument being that it there isn't much traffic on it (it averages 86k per day along that stretch), it cut off two neighborhoods from eachother (it didn't, but they think it did), it won't cost much (?), and that safety isn't a pressing concern.

So, I've spewed some facts at them, and like a duck, they wash right off. So, I'd like a little better argument. Since I-77 is elevated between US62 and south of Fulton Rd, and then sunken from south of Fulton Rd through past Lincolnway, how much would it cost over that 2.8 mile stretch to raise/lower the road accordingly. Including demolishing bridges. Simply for argument sake.

Their next response, was that they could sink all of I-77 and cover it to 'connect the two neighborhoods'(sic). Which, as I pointed out with Woodall Rodgers Freeway in Dallas, was $51 million for 0.2 miles, and 2.8 miles would mean, just the cost of covering it at $714 million. Not including the cost of grading I-77 to be low enough to match the surrounding landscape.

And lastly, if anyone has the precise calculations on how much added time travel would take between those two points. They feel 'a minute or two' extra is all it will take. I've argued that the road averages 60 vehicles per minute throughout an entire 24 hour period, which means even if light are times perfectly, there will be monumental stagnation approaching any light from any direction, even if left turns were restricted and it was simply two phases for the main line.

So, what would be the actual expectation of time to work through that type of bottleneck. Including the reduced speed limit that would come with the intersection-infested area. I've pointed out US71 in Kansas City regarding safety aspects, but they feel that isn't what would happen in Canton. But, rather since it's cheaper and 'connects the neighborhoods' the safety aspects and 'reduced cost' somehow are worth it. Though, they've yet to explain how 'connecting the neighborhoods' works when nobody would have the testicular fortitude to try and cross such a highway with regularity.

hbelkins

Just tell them that they're an idiot for wanting to remove a freeway, especially part of a multi-state high-speed thoroughfare, and leave it at that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Sykotyk

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2017, 07:14:35 PM
Just tell them that they're an idiot for wanting to remove a freeway, especially part of a multi-state high-speed thoroughfare, and leave it at that.

I've tried leaving it at that from the beginning. The problem is they've started to attract other idiots who also see merit in it. Most, though, understand the idiocy of it, but simply saying 'you're an idiot' is galvanizing others to their cause.

seicer

I spotted this a few weeks ago but finally got photos of the LED reflector testing along OH 11 at the OH 164 interchange in Columbiana. There are three LED lights per unit and they are flush with the asphalt.

My preferences:

1. Recessed reflectors, such as what Kentucky now uses. A diamond grinder goes into newly laid asphalt or concrete and carves out a little bit of space where two reflector units are glued in place. The recessed units are not hit by snowplows. The visibility is great, even in wet weather.

2. Regular reflectors, as what most states uses. I think ODOT said there was a loss of 30% of reflectors in a given year due to snowplows. They are also replaced every few years or when a road is repaved, so there will be gaps in visibility.

3. LED reflectors. These just were not that bright and I think that if brighter units were used, it would have been a tremendous improvement. There was also not a lost LED unit despite some good snowfalls.

cl94

Massachusetts switched to the recessed reflectors a few years ago. They seem to be holding up quite nicely, even in the Berkshires.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on January 30, 2017, 01:20:15 PM
Massachusetts switched to the recessed reflectors a few years ago. They seem to be holding up quite nicely, even in the Berkshires.
Could have sworn they have been using them on I-91 far longer than just a few years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on January 30, 2017, 02:10:31 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 30, 2017, 01:20:15 PM
Could have sworn they have been using them on I-91 far longer than just a few years.

"Few years" is relative. They switched some time between the early 2000s and 2011.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

JREwing78

It looks like there's a few of the LED reflectors in use on I-39/90 a few miles south of the Wisconsin line near Rockford, IL. It's kind of hard to tell for sure at highway speeds; they seemed to be tiny beams of light compared to normal reflectors.

Buck87

note: this quote is from another thread about stub ramps, though I'm responding to it here as it pertains to general Ohio discussion:
Quote from: thenetwork on June 03, 2015, 07:07:58 PM
This is the northeast end of the Norwalk (OH) bypass. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Norwalk,+OH/@41.2481038,-82.5741857,571m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883a12e5240c76c9:0x6278f31e62fad3ac

This would have brought US-250 from just south of Norwalk to just south of Milan.  Had it ever come to fruition, the bypass (currently used as-is by US-20 and OH-18)  probably would have had OH-61 rerouted along the bypass as well, while OH-13 would have probably remained running thru town as-is, and would remain duplexed with US-250 on either side of the bypass.

It's a shame that it never got completed, at least extended to OH-61 on the east side, although you could still technically bypass downtown north-south by using the Bypass to US-20 East to OH-601 North in Milan to get back to US-250/OH-13.  The majority of the proposed route still looks like forest and farmland, so technically it is still possible to build it without knocking down too many houses.

Regarding the possibility of this originally envisioned bypass extension for 250 ever being completed, from what I've heard from a Huron County public official, this idea is completely dead. Supposedly the current plan is to wait until the existing bridge (that carries US 20 west over itself after the loop ramp) reaches the end of its useful life and then tear it down and make the entire intersection at-grade.

This would have been a great bypass for Cedar Point/Lake Erie traffic. Too bad they weren't able to complete this back when the existing bypass was built. Could have been done before the Milan Rd segment of 250 in Norwalk had built into a main commercial strip (where I would imagine a lot of the opposition to the bypass comes from, along with landowners in the potential path) and perhaps the Walmart, chains etc. would have been built at exits off the bypass instead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.