News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why Trucks are banned on Chicagos Lake Shore Drive

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2022, 10:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that on I-55 northbound at its northern terminus, trucks must use US 41 south and can't drive north of the freeway end.

Originally all trucks had to exit at Exit 392D and couldn't use either direction of US 41 from I-55.  At least some of that changed, but what's up with the original and updated lift on part of the prohibition?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2022, 10:18:00 AM
I noticed that on I-55 northbound at its northern terminus, trucks must use US 41 south and can't drive north of the freeway end.

Originally all trucks had to exit at Exit 392D and couldn't use either direction of US 41 from I-55.  At least some of that changed, but what's up with the original and updated lift on part of the prohibition?

Per CDOT, trucks are allowed on LSD and boulevards, but one must go online and get a permit. No permit, no drive on it.

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/city/depts/cdot/Hansen8/FAQ/CDOT_Truck_Travel_Permit_Travel_LSD_Boulevards.pdf

As for why the signage changed, CDOT didn't have anything, its possible LSD lost its boulevard status south of 35th Street.

mgk920

Big rig trucks can use LSD (US 41) between I-55 and the first interchange to the south (31st St) (I'm not sure of the permitting required for this). It is to allow them access to the McCormick Place expo hall, which regularly hosts large industrial trade shows.

Otherwise it is a city parkway ('boulevard'), like with NYC.

Mike

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: mgk920 on July 08, 2022, 02:30:18 PM
Big rig trucks can use LSD (US 41) between I-55 and the first interchange to the south (31st St) (I'm not sure of the permitting required for this). It is to allow them access to the McCormick Place expo hall, which regularly hosts large industrial trade shows.

Mike
But it is an US route so how can an local city block them?? in other places citys may not be able to block trucks on US routes.

skluth

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 08, 2022, 03:30:33 PM

Mike
But it is an US route so how can an local city block them?? in other places citys may not be able to block trucks on US routes.

They're also banned on I-580 in Oakland and that's an interstate.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: skluth on July 08, 2022, 05:23:25 PM

Mike

And I-35E in St. Paul. Also countless freeway tunnels where hazmats are banned.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: skluth on July 08, 2022, 05:23:25 PM

Mike

And inside the I-285 beltway in Atlanta, unless it's a local delivery.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Crash_It

One of the benefits of LSD is not having to have to see big trucks slowing it up and damaging it or even pulling over and leaving their piss bottles in the fields along it.  Aside from that there are no shoulders for them to stop and sit on and they would have to resort to blocking lanes which would result in more traffic and safety issues, then there are the viaducts along the exit ramps,many of them aren't high enough for a truck. Traffic overall just flows smoother on roads where trucks aren't allowed.

froggie

Mike

That doesn't mean anything.  There are plenty of cities and towns across the nation where trucks are banned from a portion of a given US route in that city or town.  This is why there are truck routes and Truck US routes.

roadman65

US 16A in SD is one trucks can't drive do to the tight pigtails and one lane tunnels.

In TN can trucks use US 129 with its hairpins?

No truck route either for both as well as US 41 in Chicago.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

^ Lacking a truck route doesn't mean trucks can't be banned from a given road stretch.  A truck route may exist but doesn't have the same number as the original route.

Example:  US 17/50 east of Winchester, VA.  Through trucks are banned but there isn't a TRUCK US 17/50 because one isn't necessarily needed.  Trucks are directed to use I-81/I-66....THAT's the "truck route".

paulthemapguy

Chicago's DOT has a unique domain over all of the highways within its municipal boundaries.  Even state and US highway routes that enter the city limits are maintained by CDOT within those limits.  The section of US Routes 12 & 20 along 95th Street, the portion of Harlem and Cicero Avenues within the city, North Avenue, Irving Park Road, and the portion of Halsted carrying Illinois Route 1 all are maintained by CDOT, among others.  The only IDOT-maintained rights-of-way within Chicago's city limits are the expressways labeled with Interstate numbers.  So Lake Shore Drive, carrying US Route 41, is no exception to the rule of CDOT maintaining all the numbered routes in the city.  Since CDOT has domain over LSD, they can put their own truck restrictions on the roadway.  So IDOT isn't to blame for the truck restrictions on LSD- but that doesn't mean state DOTs across the country can't or won't restrict truck traffic on select numbered highways, anyway.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Mapmikey

Trucks have been banned from US 50 between Fairfax Circle and Arlington since the 1930s!

mgk920

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 09, 2022, 01:37:09 PM

Chicago's DOT has a unique domain over all of the highways within its municipal boundaries.  Even state and US highway routes that enter the city limits are maintained by CDOT within those limits.  The section of US Routes 12 & 20 along 95th Street, the portion of Harlem and Cicero Avenues within the city, North Avenue, Irving Park Road, and the portion of Halsted carrying Illinois Route 1 all are maintained by CDOT, among others.  The only IDOT-maintained rights-of-way within Chicago's city limits are the expressways labeled with Interstate numbers.  So Lake Shore Drive, carrying US Route 41, is no exception to the rule of CDOT maintaining all the numbered routes in the city.  Since CDOT has domain over LSD, they can put their own truck restrictions on the roadway.  So IDOT isn't to blame for the truck restrictions on LSD- but that doesn't mean state DOTs across the country can't or won't restrict truck traffic on select numbered highways, anyway.

Also, that little piece of I-294 by ORD airport that is in the city is maintained by the ISTHA.  I also don't know who maintains that small part of I-190 that is in the city.

Mike

ike

edwaleni

Quote from: mgk920 on July 10, 2022, 12:23:19 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 09, 2022, 01:37:09 PM

Also, that little piece of I-294 by ORD airport that is in the city is maintained by the ISTHA.  I also don't know who maintains that small part of I-190 that is in the city.

Mike

ike

I-190 serving O'Hare is IDOT until just west of Mannheim where the road meets the bridge over Bessie Coleman Dr. Then it is CDOT the rest of the way to the airport terminal.

US20IL64

"But it is an US route so how can an local city block them??"  :-D

Also, LaGrange Rd, aka US 12-20-45, in LaGrange IL bans semis. So, having US sign is not immunity. :wave:

Crash_It

Quote from: US20IL64 on July 24, 2022, 12:00:08 AM
"But it is an US route so how can an local city block them??"  :-D

Also, LaGrange Rd, aka US 12-20-45, in LaGrange IL bans semis. So, having US sign is not immunity. :wave:

They aren't banned but they are restricted to the right lane

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.