News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchafe1978

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 09, 2021, 10:46:49 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 09, 2021, 09:40:37 AM
Probably referring to this, just west of the WI 60 and US 61 intersection

Correct, that's what I was referring to.

Sorry for the mixup, but the Do Not Enter and Wrong Way signs are also clearly there because it is the beginning of a divided highway, not just for the driveway. On another note, some township lanes that look like nothing more than a private driveway are indeed maintained and plowed in winter by the township, so that could be why there is a stop sign there and the lane has an official name. Usually these town lanes are dead ends and are basically nothing more than a long driveway. I had a friend who used to live at the end of one of these lanes and the township plowed basically all but the last 50 feet of the lane up to where their property line was. It's a nice deal if you can get it.

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 09, 2021, 04:26:21 PM
Found this goof today in Mokena, IL

IMG_4874 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I feel like the person who fabricated that was probably having fun on purpose. :-D

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

interstatefan990

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 09, 2021, 04:52:06 PM
the Do Not Enter and Wrong Way signs are also clearly there because it is the beginning of a divided highway, not just for the driveway.

If that's true, then the signs would be pretty much redundant for that purpose because of the pair of double yellows and the Keep Right sign on the divider. I'd be curious to know if that was the intent. My gut tells me that it would be considered optional signage according to the MUTCD.

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 09, 2021, 04:52:06 PM
On another note, some township lanes that look like nothing more than a private driveway are indeed maintained and plowed in winter by the township, so that could be why there is a stop sign there and the lane has an official name. Usually these town lanes are dead ends and are basically nothing more than a long driveway. I had a friend who used to live at the end of one of these lanes and the township plowed basically all but the last 50 feet of the lane up to where their property line was. It's a nice deal if you can get it.

That sure sounds nice. However, in the GSV you can see the house that the driveway leads to in the distance behind the trees, so I'm not too sure how long of a driveway (or township lane) it actually is. In any case, it looks like it would be difficult to plow.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Big John

In states where spirals are used for highway alignments or surveying, TS would stand for Tangent (end) to spiral (beginning).  With what I see, it is an erroneous sign.

ErmineNotyours

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/yhkQN9f6NtzjxRHUA

Shouldn't the arrow be upward if it's telling motorists to exit to accesss I-64?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

Quote from: roadman65 on March 20, 2021, 12:06:07 PM

Shouldn't the arrow be upward if it's telling motorists to exit to accesss I-64?
The downward arrow would make sense if it's place right at the ramp entrance (like what California does), but this one is a bit ahead of it.

roadman65

Yes I know there is a thread separate for this, but the search engine sucks and offers no help. I don't have time to view each page either to find it, but here is a doozy in Camden. https://goo.gl/maps/9KnDU9YJCJLSTi4S7

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

For those who haven't seen the other thread, the new signs for the Goethals Bridge manage to misspell it in two different ways:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

The first one looks like a contraction of geothermals.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Well being that Geothals is not a relation to Andrew Cuomo, it will not be fixed right away like the NYSTA had to add the middle initial to Mario Cuomo when they unintentionally left that part out on new guides.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
Well being that Geothals is not a relation to Andrew Cuomo, it will not be fixed right away like the NYSTA had to add the middle initial to Mario Cuomo when they unintentionally left that part out on new guides.

I can pretty much guarantee you it will be fixed soon. That's a pretty significant mistake and one we know they're aware of based on the news articles.

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2021, 11:25:05 AM
Yes I know there is a thread separate for this, but the search engine sucks and offers no help. I don’t have time to view each page either to find it, but here is a doozy in Camden. https://goo.gl/maps/9KnDU9YJCJLSTi4S7

The light pole that has not had a luminary attached for as long as Street View has existed is special, as they have poured concrete, broken up concrete, poured more concrete, built out the sidewalk around the pole, but left the pole as-is and in the last street view it is literally leaning against utility wires as the base has rotted out that much.  Guess removing it or replacing it was in no scope of work for any project!  (Just move the NJTP assembly to its own pole, please.)

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

amroad17

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 20, 2021, 12:33:03 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 20, 2021, 12:06:07 PM

The downward arrow would make sense if it's place right at the ramp entrance (like what California does), but this one is a bit ahead of it.
It's Norfolk, VA--the #1 place for derp signage! 

This would work better the way it is if the pavement markings were improved such as gore markings to divide the main route from the exit ramp.  However, Tidewater Drive has been marked this way for as long as I can remember (since the mid-1970's).  It more than likely has been like this since it was completed in 1956.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on March 29, 2021, 02:13:20 PM

Quote from: roadman65 on March 29, 2021, 10:47:54 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48009424003
PA 1502 in a Texas SH shield?

It's actually PA as in "Principal Arterial".

See below.

Quote from: TxDOT – Highway Designations Glossary
Principle Arterial Street System (PASS) City streets included in the State Highway System under the 1988 ? 1992 Urban System/PASS Program for major urbanized areas (Category 6). The purpose of the PASS is to improve mobility by developing a high level urban arterial street system to connect and serve freeways and expressways and relieve major traffic corridors.

Quote from: TxDOT – Highway Designation Files
PRINCIPAL ARTERIAL STATE SYSTEM NO. 1502

In San Antonio, on Wurzbach Road and East-West Pkwy, from IH 410 northeast and east to IH 35; and then from another point on East-West Pkwy on East-West Pkwy Connection north to Schertz Road.

PASS PROJECT NO. 1502-01
Minute Order 87544, 6/28/88

In San Antonio, on Wurzbach Rd, from 0.6 mile east of Ingram Rd northward to the Leon Valley western city limits, a distance of approx. 1.0 mile. (Bexar County)

PASS PROJECT NO. 1502-02
Minute Order 87546, 6/28/88

In Leon Valley, on Wurzbach Rd, from Seville Dr northward to Evers Rd, a distance of approx. 0.8 mile. (Bexar County)

PASS PROJECT NO. 1502-03
Minute Order 87549, 6/28/88

In San Antonio, on East-West Pkwy, from Lockhill-Selma Rd northeastward to IH 35, a distance of approx. 10.0 miles. (Bexar County)

And here is a list of them.  (Go to the bottom of the dropdown.)

So not at all incorrect, but I'm not sure I'd ever seen one signed before.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Is this only one of its kind? I know you have OSR and NASA Road 1 as rarities in the system. So this is another one of those?

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on March 30, 2021, 03:44:57 PM

Is this only one of its kind? I know you have OSR and NASA Road 1 as rarities in the system. So this is another one of those?

So far, it's believed to be the only "principal arterial" posted with a shield.

This one on US 281 (from 2017) is erroneous:

Some shields had the "PA" below the number, others had it above the numerals.

kphoger

As I said, you can easily search for them all:

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 11:39:39 AM
And here is a list of them.  (Go to the bottom of the dropdown.)

There are 72.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Not sure if this one has made the list but I noticed this error on Greenfield Road in Dearborn for the first time today. The route number is correct but this is US-12 not M-12.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3187025,-83.1955261,3a,15y,213.97h,89.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soD8uTUOaHyY9gk8z1ep5mQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

EDIT: I just sent MDOT a complaint.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 02, 2021, 05:33:36 PM
Not sure if this one has made the list but I noticed this error on Greenfield Road in Dearborn for the first time today. The route number is correct but this is US-12 not M-12.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3187025,-83.1955261,3a,15y,213.97h,89.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soD8uTUOaHyY9gk8z1ep5mQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

EDIT: I just sent MDOT a complaint.

US/State mixup shield error signs
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on March 30, 2021, 08:53:13 PM

So far, it's believed to be the only "principal arterial" posted with a shield.

This one on US 281 (from 2017) is erroneous:

Some shields had the "PA" below the number, others had it above the numerals.

Me too I got that one in 2019.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48009423513/

Sheryl Crowe

snowc

Quote from: flaroads on January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM
Okay, we've all seen them and did a double-take when we did.  Yup, I'm talking about sign goofs.  We know they're out there, now let's see how many sign errors the DOT's and sign companies have put up across the country.  Here's one to get it started (which I have already posted on another thread)

A US 37 in Virginia??  No, don't get your hopes up, it's actually suppose to be VA 37.  This is located along southbound I-81 in Virginia.  The other signs at this interchange show the correct VA 37 but whoever crafted this particular sign didn't read the full instructions and decided to make all the numbers with US highway shields...
Seems to be fixed now...

hbelkins

I'm not sure how this contractor error happened. That's supposed to be a Western Kentucky Parkway route marker. Instead, we now have I-100!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.