Happiness is . . . (roads edition)

Started by kphoger, January 11, 2024, 07:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2024, 02:11:18 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 16, 2024, 12:03:18 PM
Quote from: cockroachking on January 12, 2024, 05:21:15 PM

Driving old, poorly engineered urban freeways early on Sunday morning

Ooh, that's a good one. I like driving them late at night as well.

Driving when it is dry, daylight, and overcast

I definitely prefer driving when it's sunny to when it's overcast, though, as a general rule. Maybe I'd make an exception for sunrise and sunset.

If I'm understanding correctly, I am exactly the opposite. Some of the most beautiful drives, even including my regular commute, are right around sunrise and sunset on a clear day.

I'm imagining driving straight into the sun, like heading straight west at sunset or straight east at sunrise. If it's off to the side a bit, then watching the night turn into day is quite nice.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rick Powell

Quote from: kphoger on January 17, 2024, 01:45:03 PM
Quote from: Rick Powell on January 17, 2024, 01:06:02 PM
80 mph is fairly common west of I-55 and very few people pulled over at that speed

Isn't the speed limit 70 mph these days, though?  Back in the 65 days, I remember 80 mph being the safe/ticket dividing line.

Yes IL upped its maximum Interstate speed to 70 several years ago. The IL State Police seem to be selective on when and where they draw the line nowadays. The saying "if you're 8 you're great, if you're 9 you're mine" seems to be the ultra-safe zone, but I have seen cops sitting while there are many 15-overs and not making a move. They are obviously more triggered in construction zones, but even there, 6-7 mph over will usually not draw a pull-over.

Back in the 55mph days of the 70s, I once made the mistake of passing a state trooper on I-80 EB near Minooka inching past him at 56 mph, and he pulled me over and gave me a warning. His excuse for being nit-picky was "yeah, you were doing 56, but you came up behind me faster than that."

kphoger

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 17, 2024, 06:36:31 PM
Back in the 55mph days of the 70s, I once made the mistake of passing a state trooper on I-80 EB near Minooka inching past him at 56 mph, and he pulled me over and gave me a warning. His excuse for being nit-picky was "yeah, you were doing 56, but you came up behind me faster than that."

Between Carmi and Enfield on IL-14, I once overtook a police officer while driving a box truck.  Didn't get pulled over.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 17, 2024, 04:38:03 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2024, 02:11:18 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 16, 2024, 12:03:18 PM

Driving old, poorly engineered urban freeways early on Sunday morning

Ooh, that's a good one. I like driving them late at night as well.

Driving when it is dry, daylight, and overcast

I definitely prefer driving when it's sunny to when it's overcast, though, as a general rule. Maybe I'd make an exception for sunrise and sunset.

If I'm understanding correctly, I am exactly the opposite. Some of the most beautiful drives, even including my regular commute, are right around sunrise and sunset on a clear day.

I'm imagining driving straight into the sun, like heading straight west at sunset or straight east at sunrise. If it's off to the side a bit, then watching the night turn into day is quite nice.

We're pretty much in agreement then. I would say the times when the sun is in your eyes are normally at least a half hour after sunrise or a half hour before sunset. But when the sun is low enough (even if it's already risen or before it's set) and the sky is clear it can be quite beautiful.

WIroadfan

Happiness for me is being able to cruise down a rural or semi-rural two-lane highway at 45+ mph with little other traffic and few red lights or stop signs.

Or when I'm driving down an urban arterial and catch a nice long green wave - once made it close to three miles through 11 sets of lights on College Ave (main drag through Appleton, WI), including a freeway interchange, without having to stop.

thenetwork

Happiness is when the warmer weather arrives,... and the painting crews start striping pavement again.

There is something about seeing a road "pop" with freshly painted lines.

kphoger

Quote from: WIroadfan on January 19, 2024, 08:10:55 AM
Or when I'm driving down an urban arterial and catch a nice long green wave - once made it close to three miles through 11 sets of lights on College Ave (main drag through Appleton, WI), including a freeway interchange, without having to stop.

You just made tradephoric's finger twitch.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Happiness for me is being able to cruise down a rural or semi-rural two-lane highway at 45+ mph with little other traffic and few red lights or stop signs.

I always like long green light runs, too.  I once made it westbound on Outagamie County 'OO' (old US 41) from County 'N' in Little Chute, WI across Appleton's north side, past I-41 via its westward WI 15 extension to Casaloma Dr without hitting a red light.

Mike

WIroadfan

Quote from: mgk920 on January 19, 2024, 12:40:27 PM

I always like long green light runs, too.  I once made it westbound on Outagamie County 'OO' (old US 41) from County 'N' in Little Chute, WI across Appleton's north side, past I-41 via its westward WI 15 extension to Casaloma Dr without hitting a red light.

Mike
Awesome!  My best on that one is from 441 over to Lynndale Dr (County 'A') - though does it count because I still had to slow down at the roundabout at WI 47?

mgk920

Quote from: WIroadfan on January 20, 2024, 09:23:45 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 19, 2024, 12:40:27 PM

Mike
Awesome!  My best on that one is from 441 over to Lynndale Dr (County 'A') - though does it count because I still had to slow down at the roundabout at WI 47?

I wouldn't worry about a roundabout if you get through it without having to yield to any conflicting traffic, including the one at Northland/Richmond (County 'OO'/WI 47).

Mike

74/171FAN

Winter scenery like I saw on US 6 in PA between Towanda and Tunkhannock yesterday.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.