Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ohio  (Read 131484 times)

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: June 26, 2022, 06:12:05 AM
Re: Ohio
« Reply #675 on: March 29, 2022, 05:07:31 PM »

I was in Fremont today so I took a slight detour north to check out the new roundabout at OH 53 and the Turnpike.

As you approach it on 4 lane 53 going northbound, the left lane is signed for the Turnpike and the right lane is signed for 53 north. Both lanes enter the roundabout, which has two lanes just on that side until the right lane splits off to 53 north. The rest of the roundabout is one lane. 

Whatever paint they used for the white lines is already really badly faded and needs redone. Not sure what the deal is there, it was just installed sometime last year.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #676 on: April 01, 2022, 01:38:46 PM »

A DDI was the popular option at an ODOT public meeting about possible changes to the I-75/US 20/US 23 interchange in Perrysburg:

https://www.sent-trib.com/news/diverging-diamond-favored-to-handle-perrysburg-traffic/article_23299018-b1d9-11ec-a9eb-03c6290598ff.html

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 07:54:14 PM
« Reply #677 on: April 01, 2022, 02:25:42 PM »

Too bad it wasnt so built up against the current interchange ‐‐ a DDI SPUI would be the best option if there was room.

The US-20/23, I‐75 Perrysburg area reminds me a lot of the US-30, I-65, Merrilville IN mess with a major, truck-heavy US highway from the east having to traverse several miles of heavy traffic, signals and retail before being able to reach the freeway.

Mea Culpa...meant to originally say a SPUI would be a better option in Perrysburg if the space was there and they were willing to rebuild the I-75 mainline bridges there at the same time to accomodate.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 11:16:43 AM by thenetwork »

skluth

• Last Login: Today at 08:59:31 PM
« Reply #678 on: April 01, 2022, 05:06:59 PM »

Too bad it wasnt so built up against the current interchange ‐‐ a DDI would be the best option if there was room.

It looks like the only property obstacle is the Burger King. Am I missing something? It's not like a DDI needs a huge ROW as shown here or here.

tigerwings

• Last Login: Today at 05:37:00 PM
« Reply #679 on: April 01, 2022, 05:50:50 PM »

The BK would need to go for the DDI.

The Harley shop west side may need to go also. It would be a tight turn for trucks.

Also:

Too bad they didn't make the I-475 to NB I-75 exit a fly over instead of dumping into the left hand lane went to changed this years ago. Traffic needs to cut across 2 lanes quick to get off at US-20. Add to it the weaving from 475 to SB 75 with traffic from Dixie Hwy, ODOT needs to try again on this interchange

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 11:36:10 PM
« Reply #680 on: April 01, 2022, 11:11:51 PM »

The BK would need to go for the DDI.

The Harley shop west side may need to go also. It would be a tight turn for trucks.
I fail to see how either of these facilities would need to be moved.

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 11:28:13 PM
« Reply #681 on: April 01, 2022, 11:15:56 PM »

The US-20/23, I‐75 Perrysburg area reminds me a lot of the US-30, I-65, Merrilville IN mess with a major, truck-heavy US highway from the east having to traverse several miles of heavy traffic, signals and retail before being able to reach the freeway.
Reminds me of OH 32 for the first few miles east of I-275 as well. Good thing that the remaining signals between 275 and Batavia are planned to be removed at some point.
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

wanderer2575

• Last Login: Today at 11:26:48 PM
« Reply #682 on: April 02, 2022, 12:11:53 AM »

Too bad they didn't make the I-475 to NB I-75 exit a fly over instead of dumping into the left hand lane went to changed this years ago. Traffic needs to cut across 2 lanes quick to get off at US-20. Add to it the weaving from 475 to SB 75 with traffic from Dixie Hwy, ODOT needs to try again on this interchange

Possibly, and I would definitely agree if the interchange were being built from scratch now.  But how much traffic is actually making that maneuver?  That's part of what goes into the decision of whether the cost to modify the existing interchange is justified.  That it's the routing of sbd US-23 isn't enough on its own.

GCrites80s

• Last Login: Today at 11:08:22 PM
« Reply #683 on: April 15, 2022, 11:37:09 AM »

I went to a zoning meeting in Pickaway County this week and the township Zoning Director said that ODOT told him that the U.S. 23/OH-762 interchange is project is two years away from construction and that a much-needed roundabout at OH-762 and Ashville Pike/Duvall Road is one year away.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #684 on: April 16, 2022, 08:47:20 AM »

I went to a zoning meeting in Pickaway County this week and the township Zoning Director said that ODOT told him that the U.S. 23/OH-762 interchange is project is two years away from construction and that a much-needed roundabout at OH-762 and Ashville Pike/Duvall Road is one year away.

Nice. I suppose these are both being done due to truck traffic going to and from the NS Rickenbacker intermodal terminal and other industries in that area. 

GCrites80s

« Reply #685 on: April 16, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »

Yes, for current and future growth. There are a lot of projects in the design and construction phases in the vicinity.

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 10:11:03 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #686 on: April 17, 2022, 12:05:29 PM »

Some more information: https://www.morpc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PIC_Pickaway_County_Transportation_Improvements.pdf (from 2017) and what the
interchange could look like: https://ashvilleohio.gov/images/wastewater-facility-expansion/appendix%20f.pdf

I still wish I could find the plans for the South Bloomfield bypass online.

Harvestman

• Last Login: May 25, 2022, 06:51:12 AM
« Reply #687 on: May 03, 2022, 09:22:41 PM »

Two interesting finds in a Cincinnati city storage lot this evening:

A very recent-looking Cincinnati Gardens sign from SR-562...

...and a cache of Cincinnati's well-known yellow lamps, which have only gotten more scarce over the past decade or so.

wanderer2575

« Reply #688 on: May 04, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »

I was in Fremont today so I took a slight detour north to check out the new roundabout at OH 53 and the Turnpike.

As you approach it on 4 lane 53 going northbound, the left lane is signed for the Turnpike and the right lane is signed for 53 north. Both lanes enter the roundabout, which has two lanes just on that side until the right lane splits off to 53 north. The rest of the roundabout is one lane. 

Whatever paint they used for the white lines is already really badly faded and needs redone. Not sure what the deal is there, it was just installed sometime last year.

(1)  The first paint application seems to never stick very well to new pavement, anywhere.

(2)  Same issue as with any roundabout I've driven, or any curve for that matter:  Idiot drivers can't stay between the lines, thus wearing down the paint.

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: June 20, 2022, 10:57:57 PM
« Reply #689 on: May 04, 2022, 12:16:42 PM »

(1)  The first paint application seems to never stick very well to new pavement, anywhere.

(2)  Same issue as with any roundabout I've driven, or any curve for that matter:  Idiot drivers can't stay between the lines, thus wearing down the paint.

Makes me wonder why a second application of paint isn't done a bit after initial application. I understand it adds labor and material costs, but maybe it offers better value in the long-term.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
My Travel Mapping stats

countysigns

• Last Login: June 23, 2022, 08:18:46 PM
« Reply #690 on: May 22, 2022, 11:02:11 AM »

ODOT studying revamp of Airport Highway interchange

From the Toledo Blade, another diverging diamond may be in the works for an I-475/US-23 interchange.
https://www.toledoblade.com/local/transportation/2022/05/21/odot-studying-revamp-of-airport-highway-interchange-transportation-springfield-township/stories/20220520252

tigerwings

• Last Login: Today at 05:37:00 PM
« Reply #691 on: May 22, 2022, 01:21:53 PM »

Toledo Blade paywall alert

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:42 PM
« Reply #692 on: May 25, 2022, 07:20:11 PM »

The US 30 freeway extension in Canton may be a go, or it may be in trouble: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-s-route-30-project-facing-important-deadline/ar-AAXJ6Xn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=225ac65fd7c74dc6b35160a80e0b7272. Which do all of you think is more likely?

plain

• Last Login: Today at 09:38:16 PM
« Reply #693 on: May 25, 2022, 09:17:32 PM »

Hopefully it'll get the funds in time. I'm familiar with that area and I agree with anyone who says it's needed. It will also further solidify US 30 as a good alternative to the Turnpike.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Your roadmeet didn't happen, if I was not there.

• Last Login: Today at 02:55:05 PM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #694 on: May 26, 2022, 11:23:28 AM »

The US 30 freeway extension in Canton may be a go, or it may be in trouble: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-s-route-30-project-facing-important-deadline/ar-AAXJ6Xn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=225ac65fd7c74dc6b35160a80e0b7272. Which do all of you think is more likely?

It will go the way of I-73 in Ohio.
Less important than dead cats.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 04:06:04 PM
« Reply #695 on: May 26, 2022, 03:06:43 PM »

It will go the way of I-73 in Ohio.

I figure the extension to SR 44 will happen. It eliminates the largest traffic bottleneck along the corridor and the turns through East Canton, which are problematic for trucks. IMHO, they should just have the end of the freeway tie directly in to existing US 30 rather than ending at an interchange as planned since it's unlikely anything will extend beyond that. After that, re-route US 30 onto SR 154 and SR 11 east of Lisbon and call it a day.

There are some locations that could benefit from turn lanes or spot improvements. Two-lane bypasses of Lisbon and Minerva would be nice, but there's not really enough traffic along the corridor to necessitate them.

countysigns

• Last Login: June 23, 2022, 08:18:46 PM
« Reply #696 on: May 26, 2022, 06:47:10 PM »

Forgot about the paywall...here's the article:

Diverging diamonds evidently are becoming a traffic engineer’s best friend.

The Ohio Department of Transportation has set up an online open house as it contemplates altering Airport Highway’s interchange on I-475/U.S. 23 in Springfield Township with an eye toward reducing crashes and congestion there.

But its district planners in Bowling Green have already stated what their preference is for such a project: crossing Airport’s lanes over to the left in the same sort of diverging-diamond interchange layout ODOT contractors built several years ago at the same freeway’s State Rt. 25 interchange in Perrysburg.

According to a summary of the “virtual open house” that began Monday, Airport Highway — which carries State Rt. 2 through the area — had 576 crashes between McCord and Holland-Sylvania roads between 2017 and 2019. That ranked it No. 1 on ODOT’s Highway Safety Improvement Improvement Program list of “suburban nonfreeway segments,” with two-thirds of the crashes rear-enders and 30 percent causing injuries.

Materials are available to view on the feasibility study’s web page, accessible under “Featured Projects” on the ODOT District 2 website . The formal public comment period ends June 16.

No construction funding has been allocated for the interchange, and alternative designs remain on the table. The earliest possible year for construction is 2026, according to ODOT’s online materials.

“The goal of the feasibility study is to identify a preferred alternative which will improve safety and reduce congestion at the interchange,” said Kelsie Hoagland, a spokesman at the Bowling Green office. “...Once a preferred alternative is identified, we will pursue applying for funding.”

ODOT is holding only a virtual open-house for this proposal, she said, because none of the options studied for the Airport interchange would require condemning any land, whereas the Perrysburg interchange designs include some land acquisition.

The existing Airport interchange has ample land to accommodate any of the alternatives considered in a preliminary feasibility study, she said. Construction of a multi-use path 10 feet wide along Airport Highway’s north side would require some temporary right-of-way.

Along with revising the interchange and creating the path, ODOT intends to reconfigure traffic on Spring Meadows Drive to create two left-turn lanes, which will allow more vehicles headed to I-475 to exit the Spring Meadows Place shopping area during each green light. The current right-turn lane would become marked for straight-across traffic as well.

A separate ODOT plan to place a median divider on McCord just north of its intersection with Airport — intended to reduce congestion and crashes associated with left turns at Centers and Spring Valley drives and a Buckeye Broadband driveway just north of Airport — has been delayed after nobody bid on a construction contract advertised this spring, said Kacey Young, ODOT’s district capital programs administrator.

The McCord work “is going to be packaged with another project, and will likely occur in 2023,” Ms. Young said. “The goal is to have the work occur while school is out during summer 2023.”

Nearby merchants have protested that shutting off left turns onto Spring Valley, in particular, would discourage customers by forcing them to take longer routes and add traffic in front of Springfield High School.

Airport in the Spring Meadows area has long been one of metro Toledo’s busiest roadways and congestion hot spots.

Construction of its median between I-475 and Holloway Road two decades ago eliminated crashes and delays related to shoppers turning left into and out of commercial driveways but was similarly controversial among some merchants. At that time, the ramp from southbound I-475/U.S. 23 to westbound Airport was modified to replace its high-speed merge onto Airport with a traffic light.

The newly proposed interchange designs realign all of the ramps there and eliminate two cloverleaves.

Besides examining a diverging diamond, ODOT planners looked at two other options for the Airport Highway ramp intersections: a “tight urban diamond” that is more traditional and a double-roundabout layout similar to one completed last year at a new I-475/U.S. 23 interchange for Dorr Street several miles to the north. But according to the state’s online presentation, they are disfavored because they provide “minimal safety improvements” and the roundabout option would also have “failing operations.”

The multi-use path will be built along Airport’s north side between West Mall Drive and Holland-Sylvania regardless of which ramp layout is ultimately chosen, ODOT said.

Construction of metro Toledo’s second diverging diamond is slated to begin later this year on U.S. 20A as part of an expansion of I-475’s Salisbury/Dussel interchange, and a proposal for a third at the U.S. 20/23 interchange on I-75 in Perrysburg was introduced to the public in late March during a live open-house meeting at Perrysburg Junior High School.

A diverging diamond layout works by crossing opposing traffic from the standard right-hand side of the roadway to the left at a freeway interchange between the ramp intersections on either side of the freeway. Doing that allows left turns to and from the freeway ramps to be made without crossing opposing traffic lanes, which reduces both the number of potential “conflict points” at the interchange and the number of traffic-signal phases required to handle all traffic movements.

Although the left-hand running discomforts some drivers, the diverging diamond on Route 25 has been generally well-received since its completion several years ago.

Less popular has been the “single-point urban interchange” design ODOT used when it recently rebuilt the Central Avenue interchange on I-475/U.S. 23 in Sylvania Township, but ODOT did not even consider that design for the Airport interchange.

skluth

• Last Login: Today at 08:59:31 PM
« Reply #697 on: May 26, 2022, 06:59:52 PM »

(Rest of article deleted)

Less popular has been the “single-point urban interchange” design ODOT used when it recently rebuilt the Central Avenue interchange on I-475/U.S. 23 in Sylvania Township, but ODOT did not even consider that design for the Airport interchange.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone not like SPUIs. Is there some reason locals don't like this SPUI? I can understand not liking the 100 ft hitch to the south, but the exit itself looks quite nice.

wanderer2575

« Reply #698 on: May 26, 2022, 07:19:12 PM »

ODOT studying revamp of Airport Highway interchange

From the Toledo Blade, another diverging diamond may be in the works for an I-475/US-23 interchange.
https://www.toledoblade.com/local/transportation/2022/05/21/odot-studying-revamp-of-airport-highway-interchange-transportation-springfield-township/stories/20220520252

Given the very nearby traffic signals on both sides of this interchange, I do not understand how a DDI would do anything to relieve congestion.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone not like SPUIs. Is there some reason locals don't like this SPUI? I can understand not liking the 100 ft hitch to the south, but the exit itself looks quite nice.

SPUIs have three-phase signals; DDIs have two-phase signals.  I would think the former leads to more congestion than the latter.

GCrites80s

« Reply #699 on: May 26, 2022, 09:44:32 PM »

^That's something I noticed right away the first time I used a DDI. Cuts way down on backups both on the cross street and the ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.