AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Ohio  (Read 135698 times)

Mr_Northside

• "Oh god... They'll know! They'll know!"

• Last Login: August 07, 2022, 01:02:43 PM
    • Currently playing washboard in Ye Olde Royal Shithouse Players
Re: Ohio
« Reply #700 on: May 30, 2022, 02:00:59 PM »

Less popular has been the “single-point urban interchange” design ODOT used when it recently rebuilt the Central Avenue interchange on I-475/U.S. 23 in Sylvania Township, but ODOT did not even consider that design for the Airport interchange.
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone not like SPUIs. Is there some reason locals don't like this SPUI? I can understand not liking the 100 ft hitch to the south, but the exit itself looks quite nice.

I can't vouch for local sentiment at that particular interchange, but I didn't read that to mean people didn't like it, just that SPUI's have become a less popular option for ODOT (and, I think probably a lot of DOT's).   I don't think (and am just guessing) it's anything against the operational nature of them, just that they seem like they are not as cost-effective (usually requiring more overpass/underpass space to accomodate the ramps) as a DDI.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

skluth

• Last Login: August 07, 2022, 06:42:21 PM
« Reply #701 on: May 30, 2022, 03:25:59 PM »

Less popular has been the “single-point urban interchange” design ODOT used when it recently rebuilt the Central Avenue interchange on I-475/U.S. 23 in Sylvania Township, but ODOT did not even consider that design for the Airport interchange.
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone not like SPUIs. Is there some reason locals don't like this SPUI? I can understand not liking the 100 ft hitch to the south, but the exit itself looks quite nice.

I can't vouch for local sentiment at that particular interchange, but I didn't read that to mean people didn't like it, just that SPUI's have become a less popular option for ODOT (and, I think probably a lot of DOT's).   I don't think (and am just guessing) it's anything against the operational nature of them, just that they seem like they are not as cost-effective (usually requiring more overpass/underpass space to accommodate the ramps) as a DDI.

Cost is definitely an issue with SPUI's with their longer/wider viaducts. Budget issues favor DDIs and diamonds over SPUIs and anything with flyovers. I think the DDI will become more popular as it's especially useful where almost all traffic is entering and exiting the freeway and little is going from one side to the other, especially in commuter suburbs. But I still prefer SPUIs more often than any other interchange with lights.

cl94

• About to make Horace Greeley proud

• Last Login: August 06, 2022, 08:25:36 PM
« Reply #702 on: May 30, 2022, 03:51:23 PM »

The issue with SPUIs is cost. They virtually always require a new bridge and said bridge needs to be significantly longer/wider than what it is replacing. Despite this, they are often the most efficient option for an interchange with a large amount of through traffic on the surface road.

DDIs are becoming more popular due to cost. They fit within the footprint of the existing interchange, can use existing bridges, and only require two signal phases. But they are only particularly effective if the majority of traffic on the surface road is entering/exiting the freeway. Get a lot of through traffic and it can become interesting. See the 7-lane bridge at the NY 17/NY 32 DDI in Orange County, NY. Still cheaper than a SPUI and nothing else would have fit there, but that reeks of "this is the cheapest option that worked, not matter how crazy it is".

Edit: add state
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:22:04 PM by cl94 »
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:27 AM
« Reply #703 on: May 31, 2022, 11:41:01 AM »

Right DDI can still use the center bridge piers in which a SPUI must be open in the middle.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

countysigns

• Last Login: August 02, 2022, 12:52:30 PM
« Reply #704 on: May 31, 2022, 03:37:47 PM »

(Rest of article deleted)

The locals do not like the SPUI because they are afraid of crashing into each other on the turns, especially during winter when the lane lines are not visible.  Another issue, I guess, is visibility.  The bridge has a hump in the middle, making visibility an issue (albeit minor IMO) and the locals are afraid of crashing into each other on the left turns.

roadman65

« Reply #705 on: May 31, 2022, 04:49:32 PM »

Why does US 40 briefly become a two way street between two one way couplets in Springfield?  I think that is unusual considering no rail or rivers in between.
https://goo.gl/maps/gRWdv84o7MW229cX7

Sheryl Crowe

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 11:46:03 AM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #706 on: May 31, 2022, 05:15:05 PM »

It wasn't like that originally. The construction of the Mercy Health medical campus led to this decision. They wanted to have the busy roadway routed slightly to the south to remove through traffic that close to the hospital and to reduce noise impacts.

GCrites80s

• Last Login: August 07, 2022, 08:09:16 PM
« Reply #707 on: May 31, 2022, 09:05:39 PM »

And as you can see by clicking around on the westbound lanes or switching to 2007, they wiped out a whole neighborhood of houses to do it.

roadman65

« Reply #708 on: June 01, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »

I see. Displaced a lot of folks to build that hospital. Talk about freeways destroying neighborhoods.

Sheryl Crowe

GCrites80s

• Last Login: August 07, 2022, 08:09:16 PM
« Reply #709 on: June 01, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »

Oh, hospitals do wat dey want! People don't like it? Doesn't matter

TempoNick

• Last Login: July 31, 2022, 10:59:13 PM
« Reply #710 on: June 13, 2022, 10:04:37 AM »

Why does US 40 briefly become a two way street between two one way couplets in Springfield?  I think that is unusual considering no rail or rivers in between.
https://goo.gl/maps/gRWdv84o7MW229cX7

Because I-70 is just a mile or two to the South and nobody really cares about US 40 anymore. In fact, US 40 is a two-lane road from Richmond Indiana for a long way into Ohio, I think it's two-lane almost all the way to Springfield.

Now the real question is why is US 40 so ugly looking between Indianapolis and Richmond?

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 09:18:17 AM
« Reply #711 on: June 27, 2022, 02:05:00 PM »

Back to OH-53 interchange with Ohio turnpike, Google Streetview posted an updated view from Nov. 2021 where the roundabout begins to take shape.
https://goo.gl/maps/EuxJsPmMTV98Cb7K6

Great Lakes Roads

• Ain't nobody got time for that!!

• Last Login: Today at 03:00:06 AM
« Reply #712 on: June 29, 2022, 09:45:33 PM »

https://nbc24.com/newsletter-daily/odot-breaks-ground-on-diverging-diamond-site-at-i-475-us-20a

ODOT has broken ground on the new Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) on I-475 at US 20A in Maumee. Included in this project is widening five miles of I-475 to three lanes each way between Airport Highway and US 24, replacing the bridges over Moclova Road and the Norfolk Southern Railroad, and three miles of resurfacing on US 24 between I-475 and Waterville-Monclova Road interchanges.

"Once it's done, just like I-75, just like 475 to the north and many other interstate projects around the state and the nation, once it's done, it's hard to imagine a road without those improvements so we're really trying to set this area up for success for generations to come," said Pat McColley, ODOT District 2 deputy director.

Construction is going to start in July, and the completion date of this $102 million project is expected to be complete by late 2024.

westerninterloper

• Last Login: August 01, 2022, 11:35:44 AM
« Reply #713 on: June 29, 2022, 10:06:44 PM »

https://nbc24.com/newsletter-daily/odot-breaks-ground-on-diverging-diamond-site-at-i-475-us-20a

ODOT has broken ground on the new Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) on I-475 at US 20A in Maumee. Included in this project is widening five miles of I-475 to three lanes each way between Airport Highway and US 24, replacing the bridges over Moclova Road and the Norfolk Southern Railroad, and three miles of resurfacing on US 24 between I-475 and Waterville-Monclova Road interchanges.

"Once it's done, just like I-75, just like 475 to the north and many other interstate projects around the state and the nation, once it's done, it's hard to imagine a road without those improvements so we're really trying to set this area up for success for generations to come," said Pat McColley, ODOT District 2 deputy director.

Construction is going to start in July, and the completion date of this $102 million project is expected to be complete by late 2024.

That area consistently backs up with traffic - the widening and new interchange will be good for the area, home to two of the metro's Fortune 500 companies.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 12:41:04 PM
« Reply #714 on: July 01, 2022, 01:23:43 PM »

Let's hope this thread doesn't go off the rails like the "I-475/US23 projects in Toledo" thread did. It was this very project that did that one in.

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Last Login: August 04, 2022, 06:29:09 PM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #715 on: July 02, 2022, 12:55:16 AM »

I think that quote could have used some copy editing. I had to read it a few times to get what the person was trying to say.
Look, over by the restrooms! It's a girl! It's a boy! No, it's Captain Enby!

…Do you think they're trying to decide which one to use?

westerninterloper

• Last Login: August 01, 2022, 11:35:44 AM
« Reply #716 on: July 06, 2022, 03:01:34 PM »

I think that quote could have used some copy editing. I had to read it a few times to get what the person was trying to say.

It's messy but what she's saying from a very specific location-perspective is that the improvements to I-75 and I-475 to the north of the current construction in South Toledo and Rossford will seem impossible to live without once complete. But it's also something that really doesn't need to be said, and like you mentioned, could be said better.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 10:15:29 AM
« Reply #717 on: July 07, 2022, 06:51:58 PM »

Found a white LED VMS, with green LEDs for the minutes (probably red when traffic gets bad, idk for sure) when driving on NB I-75 today. Thought this was unique considering the other VMS uses standard orange LEDs. Anywhere else in the state with a VMS like this?

My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 10:45:36 AM
« Reply #718 on: July 07, 2022, 08:56:06 PM »

Found a white LED VMS, with green LEDs for the minutes (probably red when traffic gets bad, idk for sure) when driving on NB I-75 today. Thought this was unique considering the other VMS uses standard orange LEDs. Anywhere else in the state with a VMS like this?

Columbus got them in past year. I think the color of the minutes part changes depending on speed.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 12:41:04 PM
« Reply #719 on: July 07, 2022, 09:35:32 PM »

TempoNick

• Last Login: July 31, 2022, 10:59:13 PM
« Reply #720 on: July 11, 2022, 04:37:37 AM »

Columbus got them in past year. I think the color of the minutes part changes depending on speed.

I like them. Very readable. They look good.

wanderer2575

• Last Login: Today at 11:01:36 AM
« Reply #721 on: July 25, 2022, 11:58:07 AM »

ODOT already widened the I-475 bridges over the Ohio Turnpike/Swan Creek/Manley Road several years ago, so this must have been in the works (or at least on a wish list) for awhile.
https://goo.gl/maps/guoG5MWiTcxvPvYc8

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:06 AM
« Reply #722 on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:05 PM »

ODOT already widened the I-475 bridges over the Ohio Turnpike/Swan Creek/Manley Road several years ago, so this must have been in the works (or at least on a wish list) for awhile.
https://goo.gl/maps/guoG5MWiTcxvPvYc8

I didn't realize that they re-designed the Dussell/Salisbury exit from the original diamond interchange just to the south.  When did they do that?

BrianP

• Last Login: Today at 11:17:47 AM
« Reply #723 on: July 26, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »

Depending in where you look in the vicinity, streetview shows it under construction and also complete in 2011.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.