Regional Boards > Southeast

Interstate 87 (NC-VA)

<< < (364/364)

sprjus4:

--- Quote from: tolbs17 on January 23, 2022, 07:22:43 AM ---I see reduced conflict intersections coming up on US-17 in South Mills, but they are not part of the corridor. These are definitely temporary.

https://goo.gl/maps/saUmWzgjycY5jEiS8

--- End quote ---
I saw these months ago, and truly have no clue what they are.

If you notice, there’s a new road that is built off there, with a “speed limit 45” sign that indicates there’s plan to extend it a decent length.

The RCUT would serve this new road, nothing existing.

Not sure why the county would permit a new access point to be constructed given there’s a desire to upgrade that stretch to interstate standards by the end of the decade.

tolbs17:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on January 23, 2022, 07:27:55 AM ---
--- Quote from: tolbs17 on January 23, 2022, 07:22:43 AM ---I see reduced conflict intersections coming up on US-17 in South Mills, but they are not part of the corridor. These are definitely temporary.

https://goo.gl/maps/saUmWzgjycY5jEiS8

--- End quote ---
I saw these months ago, and truly have no clue what they are.

If you notice, there’s a new road that is built off there, with a “speed limit 45” sign that indicates there’s plan to extend it a decent length.

The RCUT would serve this new road, nothing existing.

Not sure why the county would permit a new access point to be constructed given there’s a desire to upgrade that stretch to interstate standards by the end of the decade.

--- End quote ---
With those being done, I wonder what the hell are they doing?! The same goes to Eastfield Crossing when looking at they put a huge development in the way of the I-95 relocation. Frontage roads would have to be constructed for access of whatever development they are building.

sprjus4:
NCDOT has installed a new traffic signal along US-17 (northbound only) at the intersection of US-17 Business outside South Mills.

Not sure why, but it adds a second signal along an otherwise free-flowing 60 mph limited-access highway between Elizabeth City and Chesapeake.

I've never seen enough vehicles here to warrant a signal, and the intersection redesign done a few years ago only requires turning traffic to cross one set of lanes. Through traffic on US-17 is light enough to the point there are many opportunities for gaps in traffic as well, allowing vehicles to safely cross. At most, there should have been flashing beacons added to the intersection. The full traffic signal simply adds another interruption to through traffic on US-17 northbound.

plain:
Must have been enough crashes there to warrant it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version