National Boards > General Highway Talk

Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

(1/136) > >>

Ned Weasel:
Got one that doesn't fit in the route designation threads?  Put it here!  I'll start:

Control states are better than control cities.  Why?  When the control destination is automatically the next state the highway passes through, you can no longer nitpick over which city is inherently more "worthy" of winning the control city trophy.  (Example: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11190.msg2588597#msg2588597 )

Max Rockatansky:
The overwhelming majority of freeways are boring to drive on.

hbelkins:
Traffic lights are better than roundabouts. Four-way stops are better than roundabouts. Anything is better than a roundabout.

US 31 does not need to be a full freeway between Indy and South Bend.

Any limited-access freeway that connects to an interstate and nominally meets interstate standards, or is indistinguishable from an interstate by the average motorist, should be signed as an interstate.

Ned Weasel:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2021, 01:43:02 PM ---Traffic lights are better than roundabouts. Four-way stops are better than roundabouts. Anything is better than a roundabout.

--- End quote ---

Hah, you got me on that one!  :P  I'll still defend my lovely, annoying circular roadways, though.  Oh, and if your personal hell isn't the UK or Massachusetts, then it must be this place: https://goo.gl/maps/PGrYJR3Bkg9xYJWK8

A few more of mine:

Breezewood isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be (and it's actually kind of fun).

We should look to intersection improvements that can improve traffic flow on arterial roads and surface highways before jumping to the conclusion that they need to be made into freeways or bypassed with freeways.  (See Muskogee, Oklahoma, for example.)

The hierarchy of roads is overrated.  While idealistic, it can impose land use and access burdens if used unwisely, and it's not surprising that most places in the real-world take a somewhat half-hearted approach to implementing it anyway.

Driveways on expressways are just fine if they're right-in, right out (or signalized if it's something major like the entry to a mall or an amusement park).

kphoger:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2021, 01:43:02 PM ---Four-way stops are better than _________.

--- End quote ---

No sentence can start that way and end up being correct.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version