National Boards > General Highway Talk

Speed Limits That Make No Sense When Compared to Each Other

(1/9) > >>

webny99:
As I mentioned in the "Guess the Speed Limit Challenge", there's something really strange and frustrating about the speed limits in Monroe County, NY, particularly in the eastern part of the county.

Seemingly, north/south roads west of NY 250 CANNOT be posted higher than 35 mph, no matter the quality of the road. And yet, east/west roads can be posted 40 or even 45 mph no problem, despite being of equal or sometimes even lesser quality.

Take a look at the following. What kind of bizarro universe is this, where...

This can be 40 mph, but this has to be 35 mph?
This can be 45 mph, but this has to be 35 mph?
This can be 40 mph but this has to be 30 mph?
This can be 40 mph but this has to be 35 mph?

I could go on and on, but you get the idea: Every one of these examples has something in common, and that is that the E/W road has the higher limit, while the N/S one is stuck at 35 mph (or in the one case, 30 mph). The only thing I can figure is that maybe E/W roads are somehow deemed more important commuter routes because they collect traffic heading to/from the city. In any case, it's bizarre and frustrating, especially because I have a reverse commute and tend to use the N/S routes more frequently, and many of said routes could easily be 45 mph if not 55 mph.

So, with that rant out of my system, what are some other examples of where two roads close together (within 5 miles) have different speed limits, but it's really impossible to justify one being lower than the other, when it should be the same if not higher?

CoreySamson:
Here's two routes near West Columbia, TX near me that I'm baffled by:

FM-1301, 2-lane road, no shoulders, 65 mph speed limit:

TX-35, 4-lane expressway, ideal shoulders, 60 mph speed limit:

To be fair, TX-35 is a lot busier than FM-1301, but 35 right there could easily handle 70.

Max Rockatansky:
Why do these threads need to be “rants?”

webny99:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 26, 2021, 07:19:55 PM ---Why do these threads need to be “rants?”

--- End quote ---

Well, what would you call it if not a rant?

I actually figured I was doing myself and the audience a favor by just acknowledging up front that it is, indeed, a rant. I guess I just can't win.

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: webny99 on August 26, 2021, 07:23:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 26, 2021, 07:19:55 PM ---Why do these threads need to be “rants?”

--- End quote ---

Well, what would you call it if not a rant?

I actually figured I was doing myself and the audience a favor by just acknowledging up front that it is, indeed, a rant. I guess I just can't win.

--- End quote ---

Just a normal post with a detailed subject matter?  It just seems like that a lot of people titling threads as “rants” lately and it seemed kind of odd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version