News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways numbered 500 - are there any states that have one?

Started by KCRoadFan, December 08, 2021, 10:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Believe it or not, for me this is post number 500!!!!

I figured I would celebrate the milestone by asking this: Do any states around the country have a highway numbered 500? I believe there's a county road with that number in New Jersey - other than that, I can't really think of any off hand.

Can anyone fill me in on that?

7/8

Wikipedia has articles to help search for various highway numbers (which I use regularly for the "Road Sign UNO" game). Here's the one for 500: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highways_numbered_500

Henry

At this moment, there are only eight states that have/had a Highway/Route 500: FL, GA, LA, MD, NM, NC, OH and WA, plus Puerto Rico.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

And the most "important" (at least to the people that live there) in North America might be NL500 which is the Trans-Labrador Highway.

NWI_Irish96

Has anybody ever determined what is the lowest number that does not have a signed route in the US?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Mapmikey

The Wikipedia lists are notoriously incomplete.

There has also been a SC 500 and a VA 500

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 08, 2021, 10:24:16 AM
Has anybody ever determined what is the lowest number that does not have a signed route in the US?

The consensus is 1928.

formulanone

Georgia's SR 500 is a vaporway - just a planned route for the "Northern Arc/Perimeter" of Atlanta, which may never happen.

Rothman

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 08, 2021, 10:27:12 AM
The Wikipedia lists are notoriously incomplete.

There has also been a SC 500 and a VA 500
Sure, but they don't exist now for those of us participating in futile Operation: Get Oscar.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 08, 2021, 10:38:44 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on December 08, 2021, 10:24:16 AM

The consensus is 1928.

Inquiring minds can prowl through the huge 1-2-3 Road Sign Challenge thread to look for any gaps that had to be skipped over, or covered by routes outside the U.S.

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 08, 2021, 10:15:53 AM
And the most "important" (at least to the people that live there) in North America might be NL500 which is the Trans-Labrador Highway.

Only the older part of the TLH. The rest is NL 510.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jp the roadgeek

SR 500 in CT is the Governor Street connection from I-84 and CT 2 in East Hartford that was supposed to be the southern end of the cancelled I-284.  It's all of .51 miles long.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Florida has one, but unsigned.  It runs from Chiefland in Levy County on the Nature Coast following US 27 ALT, then US 27, US 441, and then US 192 to Indialantic in Brevard County on the Space Coast.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.