National Boards > General Highway Talk

Is landscaping highways considered a distraction

<< < (2/6) > >>

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: tolbs17 on January 18, 2022, 03:04:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bruce on January 18, 2022, 02:56:52 AM ---I've seen landscaping used to block certain views from the freeway that could actually distract or obstruct visibility (especially when the sun is aligned with oncoming traffic).

--- End quote ---
So that can be considered both yes and no.

Landscaping highways is supposed to give people a more enjoyable ride and scenery.

--- End quote ---

Depends what the landscaping is. 

In this case, it's nothing more than just some trees and bushes.  While it adds some scenery to the area, there's nothing distracting about it.  In some areas of the country, trees and bushes would grow wild and this is something that would occur naturally if left to do so.

Now, if it's a case of planting wildflowers, that could be more of a distraction especially when they're in full bloom.

1:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 18, 2022, 09:08:57 AM ---Now, if it's a case of planting wildflowers, that could be more of a distraction especially when they're in full bloom.

--- End quote ---

I remember just south of Franconia Notch on I-93, there were some sunflowers in the median. I think they were natural, but I'm not entirely sure. There were a few cars parked on the side of the Interstate, and these people crossed two lanes of freeway traffic to get to the median and pick some sunflowers.

Big John:
Landscaped roundabouts can block seeing all around the circle.

tolbs17:

--- Quote from: Big John on January 18, 2022, 05:55:32 PM ---Landscaped roundabouts can block seeing all around the circle.

--- End quote ---
True, because nothing has been done here: https://goo.gl/maps/YayepeA44ufDVSqD8

tolbs17:
So when reading this thread, looking at vehicles is more of a distraction than looking at nice flowers/bushes/trees. That's my guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version