News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

Either it is a contractor mistake or PA has changed its rules regarding flash mode for three lens left turn signals but a new installation with a FYA on Business US 1 in Penndel had a flashing red arrow and flashing yellow bulbs.

jemacedo9

Quote from: ixnay on November 25, 2021, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on November 24, 2021, 08:53:57 AM
And to add...truck shunpiking opportunities are just about non-existent or long/slow. 
For the Lehigh River bridge, there is a low underclearance warning for PA 940 in White Haven.
For the Nescopeck Creek bridge, it would be a somewhat long and slow detour on PA 93 and US 11.

Are you referring to this?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0610325,-75.7728081,3a,41.7y,320.68h,86.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s44QlXszqqxTbdBHRL_zl9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yes...and this is further back:
https://goo.gl/maps/VHRH27ytTmAwH9n86

ekt8750

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 28, 2021, 08:39:20 PM
Either it is a contractor mistake or PA has changed its rules regarding flash mode for three lens left turn signals but a new installation with a FYA on Business US 1 in Penndel had a flashing red arrow and flashing yellow bulbs.

Likely an error as PA doesn't do flashing red arrows except when the intersection is in full flash mode.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ekt8750 on November 29, 2021, 02:55:52 PM

Likely an error as PA doesn't do flashing red arrows except when the intersection is in full flash mode.
It was in full flash mode.  I thought the standard in PA had been that turn arrows would be dark and that only thru signals would flash.

akotchi

Where is this?  I am not on that section of U.S. 1 Business that much, but I am within about 10 minutes of Penndel and can go check this out. 
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

MASTERNC

Quote from: akotchi on November 29, 2021, 04:08:42 PM
Where is this?  I am not on that section of U.S. 1 Business that much, but I am within about 10 minutes of Penndel and can go check this out. 

It looks like it is around the Toyota dealer south of I-295.  I didn't drive through it but I saw it when turning left onto 295 South.  It looked like a FYA but there were definitely flashing turn arrows (the turn arrows would flash red, then the thru bulbs would flash yellow).

EDIT: From looking at Google Maps, then doing a search, it is a signal for a new Wawa.

SignBridge

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 29, 2021, 03:13:41 PM

It was in full flash mode.  I thought the standard in PA had been that turn arrows would be dark and that only thru signals would flash.

I believe the MUTCD prohibits completely dark signal heads.

MASTERNC

Quote from: SignBridge on November 29, 2021, 08:05:28 PM

There are definitely examples of dark signal heads in the Philly area when signals are in flash mode.  All of them are left turn signals.

Alps

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 29, 2021, 08:08:36 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on November 29, 2021, 08:05:28 PM

There are definitely examples of dark signal heads in the Philly area when signals are in flash mode.  All of them are left turn signals.
Those should be flashing red arrows.

74/171FAN

I drove on N Hills Rd between I-83 (Exit 19)/PA 462 and US 30 on Sunday, and the widening to 2 lanes northbound has been completed.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Is this a joke?
https://goo.gl/maps/At1sA9rp3UV3Myer9

A yellow TOLL banner on a toll road? I mean you paid a toll, though on credit through the Toll by Plate system, though nonetheless, you paid to get here to read this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2021, 10:30:58 PM
Is this a joke?

A yellow TOLL banner on a toll road? I mean you paid a toll, though on credit through the Toll by Plate system, though nonetheless, you paid to get here to read this.

NY is doing this as well now that the Thruway has gone to AET. I don't have a problem with it, it's simple, informational, and not really hurting anything.

I think it's also MUTCD standard, per Section 2F.11: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2f.htm

74/171FAN

Quote from: sbeaver44 on April 01, 2021, 10:35:27 PM
Last night I drove all of PA 867, 868, and the section of PA 869 east of I-99 to clinch.   Going NB on 867, it takes a very odd route through Roaring Spring proper.  The turn from Sprang onto Main I missed partly because the 867 shield was missing for the left turn.  It is also a weird intersection and I couldn't tell which way the "left"  meant...and guessed wrong.   According to wiki, that is maintained by Roaring Spring Borough, not PennDOT.  And they could definitely have done a much better job with signage through the Borough.  I had to park and pull up Wiki + a map to figure out how it traversed the Borough.

Additionally, I feel like 868 would have been fine as a quadrant route. 

It's been a few years since I was on 869 west of I-99.  But I like the entire route.

I recently clinched PA 868, and I agree with you on that.  I do not see the point of it.

Also I emailed District 9 on the status of designating US 219 ALT north of Ebensburg, and the response was that there is not funding at this time to upgrade SR 4013.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

akotchi

Is this a joke?

Technically, you have not paid anything yet . . . as a "ticket" system with plazas at the interchanges, the charge is on exit.

Several confirmation assemblies much further east on the Turnpike also have the toll banner.  These signs, in a manner of speaking, confirm that you are still within the ticket system.  In theory, on the exit side of mainline barrier plazas, confirmations would not have the toll banner unless another mainline barrier plaza is ahead, though older installations on the Turnpike do not follow that.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

famartin

Quote from: akotchi on December 02, 2021, 11:59:28 AM
Is this a joke?

Technically, you have not paid anything yet . . . as a "ticket" system with plazas at the interchanges, the charge is on exit.

While that's true, you will have to pay to go either direction... you'll just pay less by going right versus left.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 02, 2021, 08:49:34 AM
Also I emailed District 9 on the status of designating US 219 ALT north of Ebensburg, and the response was that there is not funding at this time to upgrade SR 4013.

My recollection is that PennDOT cited traffic counts as the justification for this project, but US 219 in northern Cambria county runs in the 3000-ish range outside of Northern Cambria borough. I don't recall the borough really being all that congested, either, on the times I've driven through. It's just a 4-mile long slog. Building a 2-lane bypass around the Spangler part of town strikes me as more useful than shuttling traffic over to PA 36.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 01, 2021, 01:13:31 PM
I drove on N Hills Rd between I-83 (Exit 19)/PA 462 and US 30 on Sunday, and the widening to 2 lanes northbound has been completed.

I even found this "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign in York, PA, along N Hills Rd to I-83 NB just north of PA 462.  (I am posting this in response to the New York Thread mentioning one (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1487.msg2686699#msg2686699)).

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 05, 2021, 08:28:39 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 01, 2021, 01:13:31 PM

I even found this "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign in York, PA, along N Hills Rd to I-83 NB just north of PA 462.

Yorkies (is that what residents of York city and county, PA call themselves, like in England?) can call that thoroughfare "the 83" now.  :)

All that's missing from the bottom of the sign is a "NORTH" sign and an I-83 shield, although the assembly across the street does the job just as well.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

74/171FAN

noelbotevera

Heading out to Pittsburgh tomorrow. Anyone want to suggest some scenic routes from Chambersburg?

A company is paying for this trip, so go nuts. Not too nuts since I'd like to reach Pittsburgh before nightfall.

74/171FAN

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 08, 2021, 11:12:42 PM
Heading out to Pittsburgh tomorrow. Anyone want to suggest some scenic routes from Chambersburg?

A company is paying for this trip, so go nuts. Not too nuts since I'd like to reach Pittsburgh before nightfall.

I'd say US 30 is scenic enough if you have not clinched it already.  Looking at your Travel Mapping, it is not clinched yet between Wilkensburg and Bedford.

PA 31 is also a fairly quick route out west of Bedford towards Mt Pleasant with it being mostly 55 minus the boroughs.  You may also want to consider a road like PA 915 with its newer bridge at its north end at PA 26.

Mr_Northside

Other than something really scenic and off the wall, there pretty much is either US 30 or PA-31 (using US-30 to get to it).

If you haven't been on that stretch of the Turnpike in a while, there's no better time than when you have a company paying those tolls. 
In the same vein, you could also dip down into MD and take I-70 -> I-68 and take US-40 or PA-TPK-43 into PA.

This time of year, nothing in particular stands out too much.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.