News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State rivalries

Started by thspfc, August 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: interstatefan990 on August 28, 2021, 06:39:26 PM
No Texas vs. Florida?

Never heard of this one; the only time I've heard Texans mention Florida is in regards to Disney World, and Floridians of missed hurricanes that went to the Gulf of Mexico.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on August 29, 2021, 12:59:46 PM
Quote from: bing101 on August 29, 2021, 12:13:31 PM
Massachusetts vs North Carolina because these states have had "The Best Ivy League Universities" on the east coast.
There are no Ivy League schools in NC and there is no rivalry between MA and NC.

Probably a reference to Duke, which is different from the Ivy League (which is actually a sports conference) only in terms of geography and the presence of a powerhouse basketball program.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2021, 06:39:02 PM
Massachusetts vs North Carolina because these states have had "The Best Ivy League Universities" on the east coast.
There are no Ivy League schools in NC and there is no rivalry between MA and NC.

Probably a reference to Duke, which is different from the Ivy League (which is actually a sports conference) only in terms of geography and the presence of a powerhouse basketball program.

There is actually an Ivy Council which coodinates collaboration among the schools so it's a bit more than just a sports conference, and Duke is very different from the Ivy schools in more ways than just geography and athletics.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Billy F 1988

Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM
California vs Montana
Idaho vs Montana

And I thought Griz/Cat wouldn't get any more divisive in Montana! But we still have the upper hand in the Governor's Cup against Eastern Washington and the Brawl of the Wild against Montana State. We haven't done too much with the Idaho football rivalries since they rejoined the Big Sky recently. They still have the upper hand in their Little Brown Stein rivalry game against us. California, though, that depends on what topic specifically each state has the upper hand on. I would say for the most part California has the advantage athletics wise, but for everything else, your guess is as good as mine. Missoulians tend to not be fond of Californians mainly for how liberal they tend to be at times.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

TXtoNJ

Quote from: formulanone on August 29, 2021, 03:34:40 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on August 28, 2021, 06:39:26 PM
No Texas vs. Florida?

Never heard of this one; the only time I've heard Texans mention Florida is in regards to Disney World, and Floridians of missed hurricanes that went to the Gulf of Mexico.

Texas loves Florida (specifically, the Panhandle), and Florida is far too busy with its rivalry with its own residents.

TheHighwayMan3561

Heh, pertinent to the thread at the Minnesota State Fair:

Saw a guy with a Nebraska T-shirt that said "build a wall and make Iowa pay for it"

Five seconds later, a "Minnesota -> Wisconsin I'm With Stupid" shirt
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bing101

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2021, 06:39:02 PM

Yes I mean Duke and UNC the ones that get viewed as North Carolina's best colleges.

US 89

Quote from: thspfc on August 23, 2021, 07:17:23 PM
California vs Montana

Can the average Californian even point out Montana on a map? I'm going to have to dispute this one. I don't think either state cares about each other, other than the typical anti-California bias you will find in every western state that is not California.

J N Winkler

Kansas has fought with Colorado and Nebraska over water (in the Arkansas and Republican Rivers respectively).  There have been tensions with Missouri and Oklahoma over the years as well.  The pool of contentious issues includes tax competition, gambling, using publicly funded incentives to poach businesses, the perception that the bordering state is launching a race to the bottom with laxer regulations, and so on.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.