News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Case for an I-94 rebuild and expansion between Madison and Milwaukee

Started by peterj920, October 09, 2021, 12:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee will most likely be the worst stretch of interstate highway in the state once the I-43 project north of Milwaukee is complete. The road bed is mostly shot and the road constantly needs to be resurfaced since the blacktop doesn't last long. Most of the bridges are old and crumbling. An emergency bridge replacement of Elmhurst Rd is taking place since concrete was falling from the bridge and nets were being used to help catch falling concrete.

The Interchanges are severely outdated especially County C in Delafield and Wis 89 in Lake Mills. There are no turn lanes and the tight ramps/narrow lanes through the interchange show the outdated design.

Traffic is heavy since I-94 connects Wisconsin's 2 largest cities and any lane closure or minor accident will cause massive backups. A 3rd lane in each direction is badly needed.

Instead of funding an uninspiring major project like rebuilding a 2 lane US 51 from Stoughton to Madison, WISDOT should take a larger look at this busy interstate corridor that's falling apart.

SEWIGuy

I would add that I-41 expansion between Appleton and Green Bay is probably just as important as this.

But you are right.  This is why all the new corridor development annoys me, because this should be rebuilt and expanded to six lanes for the entire stretch for all of the reasons you indicate.  This is where resources should be directed.

thspfc

I-39 between Stevens Point and near Rothschild is worse in terms of road quality, but it's not as busy as I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee.

hobsini2

You could probably justify in the not too distant future a 4th lane between I-39/90 and Hwy N in Cottage Grove as well since that part of Dane County is growing a lot.  It already is 6 lanes for that stretch.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JREwing78

From the discussion on their projects page, it sounds like a 6-laning of I-94 is at least 20 years off. It didn't help that the planned commuter rail line between Milwaukee and Madison was abruptly canceled; I suspect WisDOT's calculations when they were long-term planning Interstate rebuilds were anticipating the commuter rail line easing traffic levels and forestalling the need for a widening. I also suspect they are trying to ensure they can fund the I-94 widening east of the Zoo interchange when it's finally approved.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/i94/default.aspx
https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/i94wis73/default.aspx

Also unspoken: the gas tax rate freeze is not helping matters; another 10 cents per gallon would allow a lot of projects to move forward.

JREwing78

The most urgent need: a 6-laning and rebuild east of Hwy 67 in Oconomowoc. West of Oconomowoc can likely live with 4 lanes for a while longer, but with median cable guard rail and replacement of bridges and interchanges as needed.

Crash_It

thspfc

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 09, 2021, 02:50:17 PM
You could probably justify in the not too distant future a 4th lane between I-39/90 and Hwy N in Cottage Grove as well since that part of Dane County is growing a lot.  It already is 6 lanes for that stretch.
Definitely not before an upgrade to six lanes between CTH-N and WI-89. I've never encountered even remotely heavy traffic on the current six lane stretch west of CTH-N. I think a lot of Cottage Grove commuters use CTH-BB rather than I-94.

The section that probably needs six-laning the least is between WI-89 and WI-26, but if you're going to do the rest then you might as well do that since it's only 7 miles.

Overall, I think the first priority should be six lanes between Prospect Ave. and WI-83. After that, between WI-83 and WI-67. After that, the rest of the way.

I don't know how much longer until the Crawfish and Rock river bridges need to be replaced, but I think they're pretty old, and they're too close to the water. It would be senseless to replace those bridges without widening them to six lanes, otherwise they'll just have to do more work on them a few years after the new ones are installed.

Nonetheless, I will stand by my position that I-90/94 between US-151 in Madison and the I-90 split in Tomah should be a higher priority for expansion than I-94 between CTH-N and Milwaukee. Eight lanes are needed between US-151 and WI-78. Six lanes are needed between WI-78 and Tomah. Maybe I'm biased because I drive that stretch much more.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on October 09, 2021, 06:50:46 PM
Definitely not before an upgrade to six lanes between CTH-N and WI-89. I've never encountered even remotely heavy traffic on the current six lane stretch west of CTH-N. I think a lot of Cottage Grove commuters use CTH-BB rather than I-94.

The section that probably needs six-laning the least is between WI-89 and WI-26, but if you're going to do the rest then you might as well do that since it's only 7 miles.

Overall, I think the first priority should be six lanes between Prospect Ave. and WI-83. After that, between WI-83 and WI-67. After that, the rest of the way.

I don't know how much longer until the Crawfish and Rock river bridges need to be replaced, but I think they're pretty old, and they're too close to the water. It would be senseless to replace those bridges without widening them to six lanes, otherwise they'll just have to do more work on them a few years after the new ones are installed.

Nonetheless, I will stand by my position that I-90/94 between US-151 in Madison and the I-90 split in Tomah should be a higher priority for expansion than I-94 between CTH-N and Milwaukee. Eight lanes are needed between US-151 and WI-78. Six lanes are needed between WI-78 and Tomah. Maybe I'm biased because I drive that stretch much more.

You're biased.  Traffic count maps show more traffic in rural Jefferson County than between the Dells and Tomah.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 09, 2021, 08:45:25 PM

You're biased.  Traffic count maps show more traffic in rural Jefferson County than between the Dells and Tomah.
I believe I've showed you this before:
https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/freight_analysis/nat_freight_stats/nhsavglhft2015.htm

Look at the difference in truck traffic. Trucks are slower, larger, and significantly more important than small cars.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on October 09, 2021, 09:53:25 PM

https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/freight_analysis/nat_freight_stats/nhsavglhft2015.htm

Look at the difference in truck traffic. Trucks are slower, larger, and significantly more important than small cars.

I guess whatever data supports your point you will tout when actual traffic counts don't...

SkyPesos

Quote from: thspfc on October 09, 2021, 09:53:25 PM

That makes sense to me. There's plenty of ways to bypass I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee, and for the most part, I don't really see the need to use that section if you're not traveling between those two cities.

I-39

IMHO, the following needs to be done in the next 15-20 years.

1. I-94 needs to be rebuilt and six-laned between Madison and Milwaukee.

2. I-39/90/94 needs to be rebuilt and eight-laned between the Beltline and the I-39/WIS 78 interchange, including proper rebuilds of the system interchanges at the Beltline, I-94 and US 151.

3. I-90/94 needs to be rebuilt and six-laned between I-39/WIS 78 and WIS 13 in the Dells.

4. US 12 needs a Sauk City bypass built to complete the four lane between Madison and the Dells and provide a reliever to I-39/90/94 in the area. Also will need to remove all stoplights in the corridor to provide free flow.

This is what WisDOT should have been pursuing instead of building unneeded four lane highways along corridors that don't need them.

JREwing78

The AADT counts don't necessarily demand 8-laning north of Madison, but they don't take into account the Friday and Sunday weekend traffic to and from the Dells and points north. They also don't take into the account the worsening congestion because of all the Cheeseheads and FIBs causing wrecks because they can't put their phone down and concentrate on driving.

In WisDOT's materials discussing the replacement I-39/90/94 bridges over the Wisconsin River, they note the traffic spikes by up to 75% on summer weekends. That would push traffic levels well into 8-laning territory. With the recent 6-laning south of Madison, it very likely could spike even higher. Not surprisingly, WisDOT is rebuilding these bridges to accommodate 8 lanes of traffic (even if they're initially only striped for 6).

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/sw/i399094-bridge/public-hearing-exhibits.pdf

thspfc

Quote from: I-39 on October 10, 2021, 12:33:42 AM

2. I-39/90/94 needs to be rebuilt and eight-laned between the Beltline and the I-39/WIS 78 interchange, including proper rebuilds of the system interchanges at the Beltline, I-94 and US 151.

3. I-90/94 needs to be rebuilt and six-laned between I-39/WIS 78 and WIS 13 in the Dells.

4. US 12 needs a Sauk City bypass built to complete the four lane between Madison and the Dells and provide a reliever to I-39/90/94 in the area. Also will need to remove all stoplights in the corridor to provide free flow.

This is what WisDOT should have been pursuing instead of building unneeded four lane highways along corridors that don't need them.
If/when 39/90/94 in Madison is made eight lanes, I want an interchange at Hanson Road/Eastpark Blvd.

SEWIGuy

Yes.  In addition to the I-43 expansion on the north side of Milwaukee starting next year, and the planned for expansion of I-41 between De Pere and Appleton, this is a good list and IMO the right priority order.  (Although I might suggest that I-94 expansion east of the Minnesota border is more important than your #4, but that's just quibbling.)

And I agree with your final point. 

Scott5114

Pointless bickering deleted. We're here to talk about roads...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 10, 2021, 09:00:06 AM

Yes.  In addition to the I-43 expansion on the north side of Milwaukee starting next year, and the planned for expansion of I-41 between De Pere and Appleton, this is a good list and IMO the right priority order.  (Although I might suggest that I-94 expansion east of the Minnesota border is more important than your #4, but that's just quibbling.)

And I agree with your final point.

I was talking about projects that need to be done that haven't had serious discussion yet. The I-41 and I-43 projects not only are being discussed, but are scheduled for construction in the not too distant future. Whereas there hasn't been any serious discussion on I-39/90/94 between Madison and the Dells and I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee.

I really don't understand the logic of WisDOT of insisting every four lane widening needs to be a divided expressway/freeway with interchanges instead of just a five lane arterial. Imagine if projects like WIS 23, WIS 26, US 141, etc, had been built as five lane arterials instead of the divided expressway/freeway they ended up becoming. They would have saved money and possibly could have reinvested the savings into modernizing the Interstates. Divided expressways/freeways imho should only be used on regional routes like US 151 and WIS 29, not local routes like WIS 23.

hobsini2

I was saying that the section between 39/90 and N could also be done in the not too distant future could use the expansion to 8. Obviously the part between N and Prospect needs to be 6 lanes first.  And I agree that 90/94 to 6 lanes between Portage and Wis Dells is a higher priority.  But we were talking about the 94 Madison and Milwaukee section.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

peterj920

Quote from: thspfc on October 10, 2021, 08:41:41 AM

If/when 39/90/94 in Madison is made eight lanes, I want an interchange at Hanson Road/Eastpark Blvd.

I doubt that happens. US 51/Stoughton Rd is the main north/south route for local traffic. I think WISDOT is trying to minimize the interchanges in Madison along I-90 since thru traffic is heavy the way it is.

thspfc

hotdogPi

Quote from: thspfc on October 10, 2021, 07:12:34 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2021, 02:30:52 PM
Pointless bickering deleted. We're here to talk about roads...
And, we were talking about roads.

No, you (both) were talking about trolls.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: I-39 on October 10, 2021, 03:36:23 PM
I really don't understand the logic of WisDOT of insisting every four lane widening needs to be a divided expressway/freeway with interchanges instead of just a five lane arterial. Imagine if projects like WIS 23, WIS 26, US 141, etc, had been built as five lane arterials instead of the divided expressway/freeway they ended up becoming. They would have saved money and possibly could have reinvested the savings into modernizing the Interstates. Divided expressways/freeways imho should only be used on regional routes like US 151 and WIS 29, not local routes like WIS 23.

Blech, what a dismal alternate universe.
I detest those abysmal 'Arkansas "freeways"'.  Not appropriate for a rural corridor.  Build it right or don't bother.

I am surprised there has been zero movement to expand 94 to six lanes in the rest of Waukesha County.  I thought for sure I'd see something happening before 2020 if you were to ask me 15 years ago.  Considering how much clout that area holds in state politics, it's strange there's been no movement that direction.  And on top of that, it would be an easy expansion since nearly all of the structures can already accommodate a third lane in each direction.

I also drive the triplex fairly often, but in my observation, it functions adequately.  I only see issues late on Sundays during marquee holiday weekends.  Outside of those extraordinary hours, it can be heavy, but still moves fine.  It's only the impatient speed demons who I see screwing things up, racing to catch up to the next pack of cars.  Or inconsiderates hogging the middle lane; sometimes that's an issue.  I do want a fourth lane between the Beltline and I-94, maybe an aux lane between the US 51 and WI 19 exits up there in DeForest.  I don't see the urgent need to spend the 3 billion dollars it would probably take to expand the entire triplex to 8 lanes.

Especially when it will likely also cost 3 billion to expand the remaining four lane sections between MKE and MSN.  I figure a billion per county is probably close, assuming it mirrors the methodology of other recent freeway expansions around the state.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

As convenient as it is to blame WisDOT for everything (and they deserve some blame), those "unneeded" four lane highways don't get built without legislative approval. I remember Concrete Clete making sure projects like the Tower Drive Bridge and WI 172 being built in Brown County; while one or the other was needed at the time, both were overkill back then though obviously both would have been needed by today. Ultimately, anything that does or doesn't get built is down to the politicians.

The US 151 upgrade through the Driftless Area was being promoted by SW Wisconsin lawmakers when I lived in Madison in the 70's. The same effort needs to be done today for projects like six-laning I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee (long overdue) and I-41 between Appleton and DePere (definitely needed from Appleton to WI 55, not sure about the rest but it's the easier part to widen so best to do all at once). Getting buy-in from the lawmakers whose districts the highways are located is often the hardest part, especially the local mayors and county supervisors; just ask Illinois residents about suburban Chicago. Money is always an issue, but it's never as much an issue as political support. And if the proposed highway goes through an ecologically sensitive area like almost all the Madison Beltline alternative proposals, it's probably not going to get built no matter how much some want it.

The question I have is whether the local political powers in Waukesha and Jefferson Counties have pushed a six-lane I-94 through their counties enough? Jefferson County officials may not have much pull after getting WI 26 upgraded. (I do hope WisDOT finishes the four-laning up CTH A to US 151 and get rid of that stupid four-way stop at WI 33. The rest of that corridor is nice.) I would think even liberal Dane County would support a six-lane I-94 to Milwaukee; there's no need to spend extra on a parallel bicycle corridor like WI 26 has as a bike trail already exists from Waukesha to Cottage Grove.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on October 14, 2021, 02:06:04 PM

As convenient as it is to blame WisDOT for everything (and they deserve some blame), those "unneeded" four lane highways don't get built without legislative approval. I remember Concrete Clete making sure projects like the Tower Drive Bridge and WI 172 being built in Brown County; while one or the other was needed at the time, both were overkill back then though obviously both would have been needed by today. Ultimately, anything that does or doesn't get built is down to the politicians.

One could argue that if they were overkill back then, but "obviously" needed by now, that they made a good decision building it when they did.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.