News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 73

Started by Max Rockatansky, October 22, 2021, 08:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I wanted to do something different on the Gribblenation blog so I dug up CA 73 given I clinched it by accident back in 2011.  Interestingly while most of the focus with CA 73 is with the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Tollway there is a interesting back story with the older surface alignments.  I was able to find a June 1941 CHPW article detailing the construction of the Main Street Extension which became CA 73 via MacArthur Boulevard in 1964:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/10/california-state-route-73.html

M3100

I do like this alternative as a 'bypass' when I-405 is too busy.  However, one does get lower gas mileage along this route because of its hilly profile.

What I also like is that this route enables one to 'pay later' using the toll roads website (as do some of the other Orange County toll routes).  I do not travel toll roads/lanes often enough to justify getting a toll reader for my car.

JustDrive

One thing I've always found interesting about CA 73 is that even with the toll road alignment, the mileposts begin at 10.00 at the 5 interchange

RZF

Quote from: JustDrive on November 26, 2021, 07:56:25 PM
One thing I've always found interesting about CA 73 is that even with the toll road alignment, the mileposts begin at 10.00 at the 5 interchange

According to CA Highways, there are plans to connect it with CA 241. However, I don't see any solid, materialized plans. So, with nothing really conjured, why would they want to start the postmile log at 10?

theroadwayone

I take it that one good reason you'd use it if you are from South OC is if you want to get an airplane ride; it's a bit of a shortcut to three of the main area airports (John Wayne, Long Beach, LAX.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.