News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

^^ ISTHA is in the process of replacing the signs along I-90 as the road is rebuilt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

In the end - they have essentially given in to the pressure.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

roadman65

When did they remove the old brown gantries on I-290 near Chicago?  I was on GSV and noticed that they are all typical now instead of the fancy design of before.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

According to the pictures I took along the Eisenhower from last summer (I-290 from the Tri-State to the Circle) there were still at least several brown gantries going eastbound and probably about the same going west. Honestly I saw more signs on bridges than on newer styles of gantries.

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2014, 07:59:48 PM
When did they remove the old brown gantries on I-290 near Chicago?  I was on GSV and noticed that they are all typical now instead of the fancy design of before.

Which part?  I-290 still has a bunch of them, particularly on the Extension and Route 53 sections.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

Brown ones are still up mainly west of I-294. Once you get to the Hillside interchange, you start seeing the normal gantries, with an isolated brown one here or there.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SSOWorld

Quote from: ET21 on March 09, 2014, 03:05:21 PM

Brown ones are still up mainly west of I-294. Once you get to the Hillside strangler, you start seeing the normal gantries, with an isolated brown one here or there.
FTFY  :happy:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

nwi_navigator_1181

So long, Des Plaines Oasis.

The over-the-tollway portion has closed for good earlier this evening (3-16-2014), as it will be torn down to make way for the reconstruction and widening of the Addams (I-90) between Elgin and O'Hare. If I remember correctly, the gas station portions will remain open, but they're on borrowed time as well; they will be removed to make way for the Elgin-O'Hare Bypass in a few years.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

JoePCool14

Why? Why? WHY?!?!!?  :confused:  :banghead:  :pan: LoL Whatever.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Gnutella

A long time ago I was on I-55/I-72 in Springfield, and I noticed the old signs for Exit 96B and Exit 94 had small pieces on the bottom that read "Springfield." I just looked on Google Streetview and they're gone. In fact, one of the replacement signs looks like an exit sign in Georgia (Exit 96B NB/EB).

Dam. :-(

Henry

Quote from: ET21 on March 09, 2014, 03:05:21 PM

Brown ones are still up mainly west of I-294. Once you get to the Hillside interchange, you start seeing the normal gantries, with an isolated brown one here or there.
Reminds me of what was recently done on I-95 in Baltimore, when MD started putting up Clearview-font signs on shiny new gantries. Without the brown ones that were there before, it's now another less charming urban drive. And I've also been told that some of the matching brown high-mast poles that accompanied the old gantries have also been replaced by dull-gray variants that appear to be the norm for this type of lighting.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SSOWorld

Exit tabs beginning to appear along I-90 toll road southbound only mostly on side signs but a few bridge signs have them too. Gore point signs do have them. Down side - yellow "TOLL" banners are being placed on the highway trailblazers. WHY??? you're already on the road - it's too late!!
Scott O.

Raise your what?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 20, 2014, 09:30:06 PM
Exit tabs beginning to appear along I-90 toll road southbound only mostly on side signs but a few bridge signs have them too. Gore point signs do have them. Down side - yellow "TOLL" banners are being placed on the highway trailblazers. WHY??? you're already on the road - it's too late!!

Forgive my ignorance, but we're talking about the Addams Tollway, yes? Obviously, it is for the Addams. I do not even know why I asked this. Also, I thought such would be the case, as I mentioned it in a thread a while back. Another big step toward universal mileage integration, a must for the Illinois Tollway system.

Also, I'm pretty sure they put the yellow "TOLL" banners on the signs in case drivers want to cut their losses and bail out. :)

SSOWorld

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 20, 2014, 11:30:35 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on March 20, 2014, 09:30:06 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but we're talking about the Addams Tollway, yes? Obviously, it is for the Addams. I do not even know why I asked this. Also, I thought such would be the case, as I mentioned it in a thread a while back. Another big step toward universal mileage integration, a must for the Illinois Tollway system.

Also, I'm pretty sure they put the yellow "TOLL" banners on the signs in case drivers want to cut their losses and bail out. :)
where they're at is a point where its too late to bail out. (already on the toll road)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Revive 755

ISTHA has finally added some maps for the new ramps on I-90 at Roselle and Meacham Roads, plus other work along the corridor. 

First I've heard of the Geona Road interchange being changed from a trumpet to a folded diamond.  Link to map

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 16, 2014, 10:13:29 PM

First I've heard of the Geona Road interchange being changed from a trumpet to a folded diamond.  Link to map

It makes sense though now that they have made the Belvidere Plaza EB only and there is no toll collected on that set of ramps.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

ISHTA's ultimate plan is to turn the double trumpet "Toll booth trap" interchanges (Genoa Rd, State St, US 20 for example) into diamonds or folded diamonds.  State's not being changed though.  There's too much occupied real estate around it.  Looked to me like US 20 isn't being modified either.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hobsini2

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 18, 2014, 06:24:16 PM
ISHTA's ultimate plan is to turn the double trumpet "Toll booth trap" interchanges (Genoa Rd, State St, US 20 for example) into diamonds or folded diamonds.  State's not being changed though.  There's too much occupied real estate around it.  Looked to me like US 20 isn't being modified either.

Actually, I would leave the State St interchange as is because of the amount of traffic already on State St. Another light there is a bad idea.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

^ Might be able to turn it into a SPUI with lots of retaining wall and get better spacing between the stoplights on State Street for I-39/I-90 and Lyford Road.  ISTHA doesn't like SPUIs however.

If ISTHA wants to get rid of the trumpet "Toll booth trap" interchanges, I'm surprised they are not trying to change the Hampshire Interchange (US 20) into a diamond or folded diamond.

hobsini2

^ But neither State St interchange nor the Hampshire interchange have toll booths on them. So unless there is an actual design flaw for that kind of interchange in either area, why change either of them? The Cherry Valley trumpet did need changing because you were dealing with an Interstate to freeway/now Interstate connection.

cwm1276

I would assume it has to do with the extra bridge for the trumpet. At Genoa the land is cheaper than the bridge and it does not need a tollbooth any more.  At State and Hampshire, development and the cut for US 20 at Hampshire.

Revive 755

IDOT will be holding a public meeting for the study on rebuilding/widening I-55 through Springfield on June 3.  Source

On this week's update of ISTHA's Letting Schedule, the outside mainline roadway work on I-90 and the ramps at Meacham are listed (second page, sixth project from bottom).  Given the completion date, I wonder if they are attempting to get the Meacham ramps (WB Exit, WB Entrance) open before the start of the Christmas shopping season?

ET21

I saw the beginnings of the new flyover ramps at Thorndale and 290 for the Elgin-O'Hare. Reminds me of when they began to build the 355 interchange (hopefully the EOH won't become a 355 standstill project due to funds running out)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: ET21 on May 31, 2014, 12:57:15 PM
I saw the beginnings of the new flyover ramps at Thorndale and 290 for the Elgin-O'Hare. Reminds me of when they began to build the 355 interchange (hopefully the EOH won't become a 355 standstill project due to funds running out)

I don't think that will be an issue since the Tollway Authority is fronting most of the funds for the EOH extension/bypass project. True, it's not an endless cash flow, but ISTHA seems to handle their funds decently.

Revive 755

^IMHO, I think the IL 390/EOH part is almost guaranteed to be completed.  It's the West Bypass and the improvements on I-294 between the West Bypass and the US 20/IL 64 interchange that I would expect to face any delays or cancellations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.