Remaining incendescent signals

Started by traffic light guy, October 04, 2015, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

signalman

Quote from: cjk374 on November 05, 2017, 06:30:11 AM
Many LED retrofits in north Louisiana have been deretrofitted back to incandescent due to flickering.
I had never experienced this flickering of LEDs that you and kphoger had mentioned until last night at work while I was outside.  I've never noticed this light flicker before, and it was only the red light on one signal (out of 3) doing it.  I'll have to pay closer attention to it on future work nights when I'm outside.

thenetwork

Id say about 98% of the traffic lights in Western Colorado are LEDs.  There are only 2-3 intersections where a couple of signals out of the whole set are still incandescent.  I'm wondering if they are doing it for comparison purposes because the other lights were upgraded years ago?

Speaking of LED lighting, Most of the street (not traffic) lights on the main roads in my neck of the woods have also converted to white LED lighting, including all CDOT-maintained roads (including the Interstate exits), Grand Junction main arterial roads and most Mesa County intersections served by Xcel Energy.  Exceptions are some of the more "decorative" bridges and lampposts in certain areas.  This was done in earnest last fall and really came out looking nice.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: cjk374 on November 05, 2017, 06:30:11 AM
Many LED retrofits in north Louisiana have been deretrofitted back to incandescent due to flickering.
I personally doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if the older LEDs got replaced with "incandescent look" LEDs instead...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CJResotko

Ingham County, MI, still has a bunch of incandescent traffic signals. Almost all of them are in the northwestern part of the county, in Lansing, and most are on I-96BL, I-69BL/M-43, and Old US 27.

paulthemapguy

This one counts, I think!

The funny thing with this southbound signal is--the 5-section head has been replaced with one that's all-LED (in the time since the GSV image was taken).  Thus, there's a 3-section tower of incandescent bulbs next to one that's LED, so you can compare the green, yellow, and red hues side-by-side.

https://goo.gl/maps/BnJoPyBD6yK2
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Michael

I drove past this left turn arrow on Wednesday, which looked like an incendescent signal to me, but the red arrow looked like an LED.  Both the green and yellow lights were dull, had a hot spot in the middle, and had a slight fade when changing.

signalman

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9207154,-74.4926797,3a,80.4y,9.41h,93.07t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sqhY1ctGsHgm_ASSibLIPuA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DqhY1ctGsHgm_ASSibLIPuA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D150.29393%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

Passing through this intersection earlier made me think of this thread.  IMO, this should either be in flash mode permanently or at least most of the time.  The only times that I can imagine a need for a signal here is during the morning and evening rush as there's several employers up on the side road (Commons Way).  Even in the morning, I can only imagine the need for SB CR 513 aka Green Pond Road to get a red light to allow queued vehicles to turn left onto Commons.  In the afternoon, I'd imagine the majority of the traffic would turn right to head towards I-80, so there would be little need to stop NB CR 513 traffic unnecessarily.

At the very least, if it's going to be fully operational at all times, the green should be changed to LED since that is what's illuminated the vast majority of the time.  As well as red for Commons Way.

traffic light guy

Quote from: signalman on April 02, 2019, 12:18:50 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9207154,-74.4926797,3a,80.4y,9.41h,93.07t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sqhY1ctGsHgm_ASSibLIPuA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DqhY1ctGsHgm_ASSibLIPuA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D150.29393%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

Passing through this intersection earlier made me think of this thread.  IMO, this should either be in flash mode permanently or at least most of the time.  The only times that I can imagine a need for a signal here is during the morning and evening rush as there's several employers up on the side road (Commons Way).  Even in the morning, I can only imagine the need for SB CR 513 aka Green Pond Road to get a red light to allow queued vehicles to turn left onto Commons.  In the afternoon, I'd imagine the majority of the traffic would turn right to head towards I-80, so there would be little need to stop NB CR 513 traffic unnecessarily.

At the very least, if it's going to be fully operational at all times, the green should be changed to LED since that is what's illuminated the vast majority of the time.  As well as red for Commons Way.

Notice how the signals are installed at very remote location, which is why NJDOT didn't bother to do the upgrades.

signalman

Quote from: traffic light guy on April 02, 2019, 06:11:40 PM
Quote from: signalman on April 02, 2019, 12:18:50 PM

Notice how the signals are installed at very remote location, which is why NJDOT didn't bother to do the upgrades.
Don't let the trees fool you, it's not exactly remote.  There's plenty of residential and commercial activity very close by.  Also, it was likely installed by Morris County.  I can't think of one incandescent NJDOT installation.

steviep24

Rochester, NY region (NYSDOT Region 4 and Monroe Co. DOT) converted to LED's years ago but there are a few incandescent signals still around such as this one.

NE2

The lights on Osceola Parkway on the ramps from SR 417 were recently changed from permanent blink mode to normal operation. The green (and presumably the red) are still the original incandescent bulbs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.