News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2 Left Lanes Closed or Left Two Lanes Closed

Started by roadman, October 02, 2017, 10:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 28, 2017, 02:41:22 AM
Memorial Parkway Southbound, Huntsville, AL, since removed:
2 Left Lane Closed 1500 ft/Right Lane Ends by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This photo (taken from another thread) got me thinking.  Which legend do people here think is more effective:  2 Left (Right) Lanes Closed XX Mile (current MUTCD standard) or Left (Right) Two Lanes Closed XX Mile (previous MUTCD standard)?

Personally, I prefer the previous MUTCD standard (Left Two Lanes Closed), as the emphasis is on which side of the road will be closed.  Number of closed lanes, although important, is secondary information.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am sure it is ment to be interperated as "2nd Left Lane Clesed".
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 02, 2017, 11:23:17 AM
I am sure it is ment to be interperated as "2nd Left Lane Clesed".

No, and in fact that situation should be avoided at all costs.

It means 2 left lanes closed (but with modified signage).  I prefer this myself.

roadfro

Quote from: roadman on October 02, 2017, 10:53:55 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 28, 2017, 02:41:22 AM
Memorial Parkway Southbound, Huntsville, AL, since removed:
2 Left Lane Closed 1500 ft/Right Lane Ends by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This photo (taken from another thread) got me thinking.  Which legend do people here think is more effective:  2 Left (Right) Lanes Closed XX Mile (current MUTCD standard) or Left (Right) Two Lanes Closed XX Mile (previous MUTCD standard)?

Personally, I prefer the previous MUTCD standard (Left Two Lanes Closed), as the emphasis is on which side of the road will be closed.  Number of closed lanes, although important, is secondary information.

Note that the 2009 version uses a number ("2") whereas the 2003 version uses a written-out word ("two").

When you look at the roll-up construction signs that are becoming more common, they use Velcro sections and panels where they can change the sign (apply a "right" over a static "left", or put in a number "2" "3") to change sign to fit the conditions as needed. So the 2009 version allows these temporary signs to be a bit easier to use and the sign to maintain more consistent design layout depending when conditions change, whereas the 2003 design requires separate signs to maintain message layout based on conditions.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.