News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lin-Sanity

Started by Roadmaestro95, February 11, 2012, 11:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadmaestro95

Who believes that Jeremy Lin is the savior of the Knicks? I'm conflicted on this situation, but it's nice they're winning again.
Hope everyone is safe!

Takumi

I don't really follow the NBA, but I know the Knicks' being relevant again is a good thing for the sport.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Takumi on February 11, 2012, 11:29:10 PM
I don't really follow the NBA, but I know the Knicks' being relevant again is a good thing for the sport.

why is that?  why does the media focus on a team that has not been relevant since 1973?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 12, 2012, 08:26:56 PM
Quote from: Takumi on February 11, 2012, 11:29:10 PM

why is that?  why does the media focus on a team that has not been relevant since 1973?
Because it's New York...that's why. It is one of the biggest sports markets in the world and anything that happens in New York sports-wise is a big deal.
Hope everyone is safe!

Takumi

I also think that the decades of futility may contribute to it even more. Look at the Cubs in 2008, when they steamrolled the NL Central. Everybody in the sports world was talking about the Cubs that year, which was the 100th anniversary of their last World Series win. I remember seeing lots of people, including one of my neighbors, flying a Cubs Win flag in their yards when the team won. Of course, they got knocked out of the playoffs early, and haven't really been relevant again since. But for a year, the big market team that had struggled for decades was relevant again, and the media likes that.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

He's not THE savior, but it's nice to see a kid doing well for a team I like. Still looking at the Rangers for this season, but I may have to pay some more attention next year. Hopefully Lin can get a couple more good pieces in place around him ;)

golden eagle

I'm tired of the man-crush ESPN and other sports media has on him. And the fact that I despise the Knicks makes it even worse. That said, if the Knicks and Heat meet each other in the playoffs, it'd be one heck of a series like in the 90s.

J N Winkler

I don't follow sports in general, so it is the second-order stuff that catches my eye, such as this suggestion by an Asian-American Slate columnist that it is now time to retire the word chink as used in phrases like "chink in the armor," "chink of light," etc.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/the_good_word/2012/02/chink_in_the_armor_jeremy_lin_why_it_s_time_to_retire_the_phrase_for_good_.html
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Lin? Who cares? Jorts, baby, Jorts!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.