News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2012 NBA playoffs

Started by Scott5114, May 21, 2012, 04:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Holy shit I'm starting a thread in the Sports forum?

I'm a little surprised there's not a thread on this anyway. I am making a token attempt to follow this since the Thunder seem to be doing well and of course it's a pretty major topic of conversation around here as of late.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sr641

GO PACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isaac

Takumi

Thunder-Spurs should be a fantastic series.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Wait, NBA? Too engrossed with the upcoming MLS and WNBA seasons.

BigMattFromTexas

Second Sweep in a row! Go Spurs!!!
BigMatt

bugo

The Thunder are more popular in Tulsa than I thought they would be.  I thought the team should have been named the "Oklahoma Thunder" and be representative of the whole state.  That would have increased its appeal outside the OKC metro.

mgk920

Quote from: bugo on May 21, 2012, 10:42:23 PM
The Thunder are more popular in Tulsa than I thought they would be.  I thought the team should have been named the "Oklahoma Thunder" and be representative of the whole state.  That would have increased its appeal outside the OKC metro.

Ever since the Sonics moved to OKC, I've thought that they should have been called the 'Tornadoes'.  'Thunder' just sounds a bit on the wimpy side to me.

Also, is there no better reason for professional basketball here in North America to be reorganized into a promotion/relegation system than the Charlotte Bobcats (7-59 in the 2011-2012 season)?

:-D

Mike

bugo

Quote from: mgk920 on May 21, 2012, 11:04:01 PM
The Thunder are more popular in Tulsa than I thought they would be.  I thought the team should have been named the "Oklahoma Thunder" and be representative of the whole state.  That would have increased its appeal outside the OKC metro.

Ever since the Sonics moved to OKC, I've thought that they should have been called the 'Tornadoes'.  'Thunder' just sounds a bit on the wimpy side to me.

Yeah, let's name the team after one of the most traumatic things that a person can go through, in the middle of the part of country that this traumatic event happens in the most.  If I were the victim of a tornado, I would have a negative reaction when I heard the word.

And besides, they couldn't play that AC/DC song ad nauseam if they weren't called the Thunder.

formulanone

Quote from: bugo on May 21, 2012, 11:22:21 PM
Yeah, let's name the team after one of the most traumatic things that a person can go through, in the middle of the part of country that this traumatic event happens in the most.

Well, maybe not the worst. Although that event might have nothing at all to do with sports nor fans. Doesn't Iowa State have the Cyclones? And University of Miami (FL) has the Hurricanes (so does Tulsa), so I haven't heard much ado about changing their college team names.

Anyhow, let's go Heat. Can't say I've had much time to watch them much this season, being on the road and all. Game Three against the Pacers was awful to watch, but I think the Heat kind of misjudged how consistent the Pacers have been all season long. Dwayne Wade was everything he wasn't in Game Three, and LeBron almost had a triple-double in the playoffs.

Also, hats off to the Indiana fans for not booing when Haslem took a massive elbow to the head and a somewhat-inadvertent charge for the team.

Scott5114

People from Oklahoma tend to support the Dallas Cowboys. I think people just tend to default to supporting the closest team.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Quote from: formulanone on May 22, 2012, 07:49:32 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 21, 2012, 11:22:21 PM
Yeah, let's name the team after one of the most traumatic things that a person can go through, in the middle of the part of country that this traumatic event happens in the most.

Well, maybe not the worst. Although that event might have nothing at all to do with sports nor fans. Doesn't Iowa State have the Cyclones? And University of Miami (FL) has the Hurricanes (so does Tulsa), so I haven't heard much ado about changing their college team names.

Ditto the NHL's Colorado Avalanche and the MLS Chicago Fire.

Anyways, me thinks that some people are getting a wee bit too 'sensitive' for their own good - and should lighten up and make lemonade out of the lemons that life foists upon them.

Mike

tdindy88

IIRC, the Tulsa team is the Golden Hurricanes, I am curious as to where the origin of that name comes from. Indianapolis had an indoor soccer team, very briefly in the 90s called the Twisters, and that name I believe came from the actual movie Twister that had come out around the time. The team is no longer around.

As for the actual topic of the NBA Playoffs, I have to root on for my Pacers, hopefully we can overcome the Heat. I love what our team is now and after the several years we have had to overcome following "the brawl" I am pleased to say that things are looking up for us. Win or lose this series, the season has been a success and we have improved upon from last season, so the next year's expectations should be greater.

golden eagle

The Thunder and the Heat will meet in the finals starting Tuesday night. I'm taking the Thunder in six games.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.