News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Perfect Games in Baseball

Started by amroad17, August 15, 2012, 09:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Well, today the third perfect game of the season was thrown by Felix Hernandez of the Seattle Mariners, setting a major league record for perfect games in a season.  This is three more than were thrown between 1922-1956 and between 1968-1981.  There have been six thrown in the last four seasons (and there should have been a seventh thanks to a blown call in Detroit in 2010).  It looks like pitchers are taking over after having batters have their way from 1994-2007.  This is good to see as perfect games are exciting in their own way as some of those 14-13 games were around the "turn of the century". :-D  What are some of your thoughts?  Do you prefer 1-0 or 2-0 perfect games or 12-11 slugfests?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Takumi

Seeing both on TV is about equal for me, but in person I'd definitely rather see a perfect game, or even just a plain ol' no-hitter. All the no-hitters I've seen on TV have seen the atmosphere at the ballpark get more and more electric as the game goes on. Slugfests can be interminably long, especially if two AL East teams are involved :spin:
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

amroad17

You mean those Red Sox-Yankees 4+ hour marathons in the late 90's and the early 2000's? :D  And some of those were just 4-3 or 6-5 games.

xonhulu

Two of the perfect games this year have been in pitcher-friendly Safeco Field in Seattle (as was another no-hitter); that might account for something, although there weren't any no-hitters for years there before that.

A lot of the reason for the relative abundance of perfect games/no-nos in recent decades is probably due both to the evolution of starting pitchers, and the trend towards larger pitching staffs and using relief pitchers later in games; saves wear and tear on the starters.  That wasn't the case decades ago when starters pretty much pitched complete games every time out.

NE2

More like perfectly boring games.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beltway

Perfect games are far too rare to conclude anything about why there have been 3 in 2012.

Over the 143 years of Major League Baseball history, there have been only 23 official perfect games by the current definition. More people have orbited the moon than have pitched a major league perfect game.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

I've been watching batting averages decline lately. I think this is the comedown from the steroids era. As long as attendance continues to do well despite the recession, don't expect any rules changes back in the batters' favor, but I think it's a matter of time before that happens (mound height, strike zone, etc.)

amroad17

Baseball does have its cycles.  From the mid 60's through the mid 70's pitchers dominated more than hitters as some teams had sub 3.00 ERAs and some league leading teams hit in the low to mid .250 range.  In 1968, Carl Yastrzemski  led the AL with a .301 batting average and the Chicago White Sox had a 2.45 team ERA in 1967.  Starting in 1977 hitters started to do much better with higher batting averages and more HRs (George Foster hit 52 HRs that year), culminating with the "steroid era"(1994-2006) where more hitters smacked 50 or more homers than the previous 74 seasons combined(1921-1994).  Since the mid 2000's there have been very few occurences of 50 homer seasons (2 or 3-haven't looked it up) and more no-no's and perfect games.  Perhaps around 2020 we will see less no-no's and more 45-55 HR seasons.  Who knows what will happen?

Duke87

Quote from: xonhulu on August 15, 2012, 10:20:48 PM
A lot of the reason for the relative abundance of perfect games/no-nos in recent decades is probably due both to the evolution of starting pitchers, and the trend towards larger pitching staffs and using relief pitchers later in games; saves wear and tear on the starters.  That wasn't the case decades ago when starters pretty much pitched complete games every time out.

Which is also then how Mariano Rivera can have 608 saves. Note how all of the top ten pitchers on the all time saves list were active within the past 20 years.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Duke87 on August 16, 2012, 09:03:08 PM
Quote from: xonhulu on August 15, 2012, 10:20:48 PM

Which is also then how Mariano Rivera can have 608 saves. Note how all of the top ten pitchers on the all time saves list were active within the past 20 years.
Yeah and there hasn't been a pitcher with 300+ innings pitched in any given season since 1980.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NYYPhil777

Quote from: Steve on August 16, 2012, 08:14:33 PM
I've been watching batting averages decline lately. I think this is the comedown from the steroids era. As long as attendance continues to do well despite the recession, don't expect any rules changes back in the batters' favor, but I think it's a matter of time before that happens (mound height, strike zone, etc.)
Next thing you know, athletes will have something better than steriods in the near future.
Like in Back To The Future Part II, look at the 2015 USA Today "Hill Valley Edition" closely and you'll see that a pitcher was suspended for bionic arm use.  :biggrin:
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.