News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What song are you currently listening to now?

Started by CapeCodder, February 03, 2021, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 13, 2023, 09:14:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-bOsH6G6qM

one of the great tunes from the Bee Gees 1975 Album "Main Course"
Along with "Nights on Broadway", "Jive Talkin'", and "Fanny (Be Tender)".

This is one I have been listening to for a couple of weeks--Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter".  The powerful voice of backup singer Merry Clayton on this, especially when her voice cracks around the 2:57 mark and the 3:01 mark.
https://youtu.be/RbmS3tQJ7Os?si=bnkEJdmnTTl54pKE
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

spooky

Quote from: amroad17 on September 19, 2023, 01:46:12 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 13, 2023, 09:14:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-bOsH6G6qM

one of the great tunes from the Bee Gees 1975 Album "Main Course"
Along with "Nights on Broadway", "Jive Talkin'", and "Fanny (Be Tender)".

This is one I have been listening to for a couple of weeks--Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter".  The powerful voice of backup singer Merry Clayton on this, especially when her voice cracks around the 2:57 mark and the 3:01 mark.
https://youtu.be/RbmS3tQJ7Os?si=bnkEJdmnTTl54pKE

Merry Clayton was pregnant but suffered a miscarriage after this recording session; some say it was caused by the exertion from singing.

7/8

Hunty2022

American Authors' cover of Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

ET21

Gave Now and Then a listen, the last Beatles song recorded with John Lennon. Pretty fascinating story behind how it took almost 50 years to finally get the track published with the help of modern mixing tech. There's a short documentary about the songs history on YouTube if you fancy a watch.

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Symphony No. 4 in D minor
Antonín Dvořák
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

tmoore952

"Accidents Will Happen" by Elvis Costello.

Not joking (people might think so, given that this is a forum about roads).

I did not hear this in 1979 when it was released (did hear it for the first time in the '80s), but it has become one of my favorite songs from that year.

kphoger

The album Wish by The Cure

Current track:  Wendy Time
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Today -->  "Brighter Than Sunnshine" by Aqualung (from 2003).

bugo

Cody Canada & The Departed - Face on Mars

kphoger

My co-worker left early today, so I don't have to care what anyone else thinks of my music choices...

Lumpy Gravy, by Frank Zappa
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: ET21 on November 02, 2023, 02:36:49 PM
Gave Now and Then a listen, the last Beatles song recorded with John Lennon. Pretty fascinating story behind how it took almost 50 years to finally get the track published with the help of modern mixing tech. There's a short documentary about the songs history on YouTube if you fancy a watch.

I found the new song a little underwhelming, which I think part of it was that Lennon's original demo included a wailing, desperately emotional bridge lyric that was omitted from the final Beatles edition. Obviously Paul can't sing that high anymore to possibly harmonize with that section,  but I don't know if that's why it was cut.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bugo

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Also...

(I discovered last year that I had lost my audio tape of this album back when I was still living in Baton Rouge, 15 years prior. As of last week, Natural Boogie is now on streaming audio and I promptly downloaded it via itunes)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bugo

tmoore952

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 10, 2023, 05:00:47 PM

I found the new song a little underwhelming, which I think part of it was that Lennon's original demo included a wailing, desperately emotional bridge lyric that was omitted from the final Beatles edition. Obviously Paul can't sing that high anymore to possibly harmonize with that section,  but I don't know if that's why it was cut.

I'm not in love with the new song either. I did buy it though, but as much for the Apple label as anything else. I really wasn't expecting it to be something that would become a big favorite of mine.

Also did not purchase the Rolling Stones new release; haven't heard any of it yet and I'm not going to actively go looking for it. The last Rolling Stones songs that I really liked came out when it was still the 20th century, so I don't have any preconceived expectations for anything they do now.

My song of the day --- "December" by Collective Soul.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 11, 2023, 12:16:15 AM

Also did not purchase the Rolling Stones new release; haven't heard any of it yet and I'm not going to actively go looking for it. The last Rolling Stones songs that I really liked came out when it was still the 20th century, so I don't have any preconceived expectations for anything they do now.

I did like "Bite My Head Off" from the new Stones album enough to buy it. I've never been a huge Stones fan, but the song grooved enough to get my attention. (Of course, I have to make the obligatory mention that Paul McCartney played on the song)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cockroachking

Pagan's Mind - Follow Your Way:

dlsterner

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 11, 2023, 10:24:00 AM

I did like "Bite My Head Off" from the new Stones album enough to buy it. I've never been a huge Stones fan, but the song grooved enough to get my attention. (Of course, I have to make the obligatory mention that Paul McCartney played on the song)

For me, there's a lot to like about "Hackney Diamonds".  One song that's growing on me is "Live By The Sword".  Interestingly, it's recording was early enough that the late Charlie Watts appears on it, plus the guest bassist was Bill Wyman (who came in later in the recording as a tribute to Watts).  And Elton John is featured on piano.  Just IMHO, but this album may be their best work since "Some Girls".

And I'm not one to feel that I have to pick a side for "Beatles vs Stones".  I'm also enjoying the Beatles' "Now and Then".

kphoger

I'm not in love with the new song either. I did buy it though, but as much for the Apple label as anything else. I really wasn't expecting it to be something that would become a big favorite of mine.

I'm a Beatles fan, and I was also underwhelmed by the new song.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" as played on the carillon next door.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on November 13, 2023, 02:07:44 PM

wh-a-a-a-a-a-a-t ?   :eyebrow:
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 02:09:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 13, 2023, 02:07:44 PM

wh-a-a-a-a-a-a-t ?   :eyebrow:

Not sure what was so hard to understand.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

No, no, I understood what the words meant.  I'm just trying to figure out why someone would be playing that song on a carillon.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.