News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-275

Started by doglover44, March 17, 2021, 03:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2021, 11:41:35 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 28, 2021, 11:35:36 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 28, 2021, 11:03:03 PM
I finally did it on my third visit to Cincinnati spanning 12 years, although really the first ended up being unnecessary for this venture.

I see the historical reasons above for going into Indiana but it seems so unnecessary.

SM-T290

It may be unnecessary, but it is a fun quirk to the route and hopefully another time I'll get to drive that section. It gives Indiana a 3DI where its parent doesn't even enter its borders.
Something interesting about 3dis in Indiana, all of the 2di in the state except I-65 and I-69 doesn't have a 3di in the state, but have one in another state each 2di travels. That's 6 2di (64, 70, 74, 80, 90, 94).

Well, of course I-64 used to have a child in Evansville, but it changed its name.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 294 originally continued into Indiana prior to Interstates 90 and 94 swapping places. The Chicago Skyway and the western-most 21 miles of the Indiana Toll Road was part of Interstate 94, not 90, which followed 94's route between those two junctions. The Interstate 80/94 duplex from Exit 0 (Illinois) to Exit 16 (Indiana) was an Interstate 80/90/294 triplex. Interstate 294 was retracted to its present terminus when 90 and 94 were moved to their present alignments in 1965. I think Interstate 294 never should have entered Indiana in the first place.

Georgia

I just did it in one fell swoop tonight, took me about a hour and twenty minutes.  started at the CVG airport exit and did a full loop.  construction on the NE side slowed me down a bit but still a pleasant drive in the late evening. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: Georgia on May 10, 2022, 11:48:25 PM
construction on the NE side slowed me down a bit
In case you're wondering what the construction on the NE side is for, they're adding a SmartLane between US 42 (exit 46) and Loveland-Maderia (exit 52). It's an extra lane that will only be accessible when speeds in the other lanes are below a certain speed. Hopefully, they can extend this SmartLane west to US 27 or US 127, and east to OH 28 or OH 32 in the future; I-275 gets congested to both points a lot.

sprjus4

^ From what I read, it will be open fully during peak times, not only when speeds drop below a certain speed. Essentially, the hours would be fixed, not varying.

GCrites

At least Ohio now acknowledges that it's OK for rules to change during peak on highways. 15-20 years ago that wasn't the case.

amroad17

Remember, there are some parts of Ohio (Cincinnati) that are usually 15 years behind the times.  It took Ohio DOT (or local officials) to widen I-71 from four to six lanes around Kings Island 25 years after it opened in 1972.  :-/

Next thing areas may experience would be HOV lanes.  Give some areas 50 years and they may construct HOT lanes.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

VetteDriver16

I regard I-275 as less of a beltway or bypass than a regional highway. 

Interestly, in the 80's much of I-275 was rural, especially the western and eastern stretches.  Today the east has become more urban and busier.  The western leg from CVG Airport to I-74 remains rural although traffic has picked up. 

bandit957

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 08, 2021, 02:46:23 PM
270 looks like Homer Simpson's head.

I-270 looks like Porky Pig's head.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

I'm sure I've been on all of I-275 at some point, but some parts very, very rarely. I just wouldn't use the far northeast or far northwest stretches very much at all.

It seems like I had a really urgent medical appointment in the late '90s where we had to use one of those parts.

I seem to have a vague memory of being about 6 (about 1979) and going with family one night to see the Combs-Hehl Bridge right around the time it opened. (The Combs-Hehl Bridge is the bridge on I-275 on the Ohio River on the southeast of Cincinnati.) I think we might have parked on the bridge approach just before it opened. The control city for the KY 9 exit used to just be Newport (no Wilder or any other cities). I don't remember exactly what would happen if you went east from there before the Combs-Hehl Bridge and I-471 were built. So I don't know how we got to the bridge that one evening.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Flint1979

Quote from: bandit957 on July 02, 2022, 09:41:21 AM
I'm sure I've been on all of I-275 at some point, but some parts very, very rarely. I just wouldn't use the far northeast or far northwest stretches very much at all.

It seems like I had a really urgent medical appointment in the late '90s where we had to use one of those parts.

I seem to have a vague memory of being about 6 (about 1979) and going with family one night to see the Combs-Hehl Bridge right around the time it opened. (The Combs-Hehl Bridge is the bridge on I-275 on the Ohio River on the southeast of Cincinnati.) I think we might have parked on the bridge approach just before it opened. The control city for the KY 9 exit used to just be Newport (no Wilder or any other cities). I don't remember exactly what would happen if you went east from there before the Combs-Hehl Bridge and I-471 were built. So I don't know how we got to the bridge that one evening.
I've clinched the whole thing and it takes forever to drive around it. It was well over an hour but I had time to kill waiting for someone at the airport.

Alps

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 04, 2022, 06:46:06 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on July 02, 2022, 09:41:21 AM

I've clinched the whole thing and it takes forever to drive around it. It was well over an hour but I had time to kill waiting for someone at the airport.
Didn't take me much over an hour...

GCrites

A lot of people drive slowly (on the East Side especially) which makes it tough to get around it quickly even when traffic isn't bad in the stretch near Reading and 71.

hbelkins

I've driven all of it, but never all in one fell swoop, like I did for I-495 in Virginia and Maryland a few years ago to get it clinched.

My most-used sections are from I-71/75 over to I-74, and also from that interchange over to the AA Highway.

I did drive clockwise from I-75 in Ohio around to the AA Highway several years ago to avoid downtown because there was a home Bengals game.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.