News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2024, 07:04:04 AMGetting sick of the phrase "and I'm here for it" to show enthusiasm for something.
It's dark outside, and I'm here for it - nightly!!!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Broadway musicals based upon movies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2024, 06:50:44 AMBroadway musicals based upon movies.

Movies based upon Broadway musicals.

The Producers is a double whammy:  A movie (2005) based on a Broadway musical (2001) which was based on a movie (1967).

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2024, 06:50:44 AMBroadway musicals based upon movies.

Mean Girls is really good.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 10, 2024, 08:48:49 AM

Mean Girls is really good.

Oof.  Another double whammee, then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2024, 01:27:02 PMI still hate adaptive cruise control.

I had my first experience with it recently and I hate it as well. I was driving our workplace's new Toyota Camry hybrid that has what's called "radar ready" cruise control. You cannot disable it totally. You can only adjust the range at which the sensor is active.

I was returning home from a training class in Campbell County when I encountered a car slowing in front of me on the AA Highway, preparing to make a right turn. I was not going to hit my brakes because the car was already in the process of making its turn, when all of a sudden the Camry rapidly decelerated to the point of causing stuff to slide off the front seat into the floor. That was totally unnecessary from a safety standpoint as the turning car was already mostly out of my lane. I only hope that the brake lights illuminate when such instances occur, especially since there was a 10-wheel box truck following me a bit too closely for my liking.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

The way Windows attempts to "helpfully" move windows between monitors when it detects one is turned off.  This results in all my preferences for what applications launch in what monitor and where windows are placed to be thrown out the window.  Sure, maybe it's helpful if a monitor unexpectedly loses power and Windows would otherwise  have windows that are inaccessible unless the user knows how to disable that monitor (or the settings window opens on the dead one for some reason), but most of the time it's caused by me bumping a cord while cleaning.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2024, 12:35:37 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2024, 01:27:02 PMI still hate adaptive cruise control.

I had my first experience with it recently and I hate it as well. I was driving our workplace's new Toyota Camry hybrid that has what's called "radar ready" cruise control. You cannot disable it totally. You can only adjust the range at which the sensor is active.

I was returning home from a training class in Campbell County when I encountered a car slowing in front of me on the AA Highway, preparing to make a right turn. I was not going to hit my brakes because the car was already in the process of making its turn, when all of a sudden the Camry rapidly decelerated to the point of causing stuff to slide off the front seat into the floor. That was totally unnecessary from a safety standpoint as the turning car was already mostly out of my lane. I only hope that the brake lights illuminate when such instances occur, especially since there was a 10-wheel box truck following me a bit too closely for my liking.

Situations like being tailgated are probably the #1 instance where I deactivate the adaptive cruise control when I drive my wife's car specifically because of the risk of the car braking hard and the guy behind me not paying full attention or not being able to react in time (regardless of the brake lights issue). Things like that are not enough to turn me against it, though. I love having it on long drives. Like anything else, it's just a case of understanding how it works. I know people who didn't like conventional cruise control when they first experienced it (while it may be hard for some younger forum members to imagine, it was not that long ago that cruise control was not standard equipment on a lot of cars).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

School bus stops where the driver remains indefinitely with lights flashing and no child departing or boarding the bus. Today a bus held up traffic for over five minutes due to a stop like this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 10, 2024, 06:41:34 PMSchool bus stops where the driver remains indefinitely with lights flashing and no child departing or boarding the bus. Today a bus held up traffic for over five minutes due to a stop like this.

I'd imagine this might only happen if the school district insists on a parent meeting their kid when they alight.

TheHighwayMan3561

Geofencing. There is a subchannel of PBS I enjoy but that the Twin Cities doesn't have, and a number of web streams of that channel I could find were blocked because I wasn't a resident of those TV markets. It's fucking PBS. Get over yourselves.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SectorZ

Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on May 11, 2024, 03:10:26 AMGeofencing. There is a subchannel of PBS I enjoy but that the Twin Cities doesn't have, and a number of web streams of that channel I could find were blocked because I wasn't a resident of those TV markets. It's fucking PBS. Get over yourselves.

That is the one case where geofencing shouldn't exist at all given federal tax dollars pay in part for any content they make.

mgk920

Quote from: SectorZ on May 11, 2024, 08:12:24 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on May 11, 2024, 03:10:26 AMGeofencing. There is a subchannel of PBS I enjoy but that the Twin Cities doesn't have, and a number of web streams of that channel I could find were blocked because I wasn't a resident of those TV markets. It's fucking PBS. Get over yourselves.

That is the one case where geofencing shouldn't exist at all given federal tax dollars pay in part for any content they make.

Would a VPN work in that case?

Mike

vdeane

Geofencing was the bane of my existence when I was up in Canada last weekend.  Keeping up with things was a pain.  Specifically:

-I have no idea if I could have watched Star Trek: Discovery up there or not.  I didn't take any chances on whether Paramount+ would work normally because I got up earlier than I otherwise would have to watch it before I left (also wasn't taking chances on whether my hotel would have CTV SciFi available, which it turns out they didn't).
-Likewise, I wasn't taking chances with Young Sheldon or Ghosts, and made sure to watch them as they aired (thankfully, my hotel did get CBS, because CTV and Global air the two at the same time).  Could I have streamed them online via CTV's and Global's websites?  Probably, but I couldn't verify that.
-Had to wait on Last Week Tonight until I got home, because no Max up there.
-Couldn't watch This Week on Hulu for the same reason.  This one has a silver lining: I discovered an audio podcast version of the show and I'm now considering dropping Hulu as a result, since watching this when I'm on the road is the main reason I have that service (got used to being able to do so when I actually had other reasons for having Hulu).
-I had to track down where Canadians can stream The Ready Room, as the main YouTube link is US only.  I can understand why promotional material is geoblocked - publishers want people to view the one with the release details for their country - but it can be quite annoying when you follow a news source where the primary readers are from a different country.  Normally I can just click the embedded video in the preview images/clip article on TrekMovie.  Not this time.
-The surprise was that I couldn't watch Empire State Weekly until I got back home.  I can understand entertainment that has copyright implications and may have different distribution deals... but this is locally produced news.  Seriously, Nextar?  Thankfully the weather was dry enough the day of my return that I didn't feel any need to watch a local weather forecast from Albany before driving back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2024, 05:00:03 PM
Geofencing was the bane of my existence when I was up in Canada last weekend.  Keeping up with things was a pain.  Specifically:

-I have no idea if I could have watched Star Trek: Discovery up there or not.  I didn't take any chances on whether Paramount+ would work normally because I got up earlier than I otherwise would have to watch it before I left (also wasn't taking chances on whether my hotel would have CTV SciFi available, which it turns out they didn't).
-Likewise, I wasn't taking chances with Young Sheldon or Ghosts, and made sure to watch them as they aired (thankfully, my hotel did get CBS, because CTV and Global air the two at the same time).  Could I have streamed them online via CTV's and Global's websites?  Probably, but I couldn't verify that.
-Had to wait on Last Week Tonight until I got home, because no Max up there.
-Couldn't watch This Week on Hulu for the same reason.  This one has a silver lining: I discovered an audio podcast version of the show and I'm now considering dropping Hulu as a result, since watching this when I'm on the road is the main reason I have that service (got used to being able to do so when I actually had other reasons for having Hulu).
-I had to track down where Canadians can stream The Ready Room, as the main YouTube link is US only.  I can understand why promotional material is geoblocked - publishers want people to view the one with the release details for their country - but it can be quite annoying when you follow a news source where the primary readers are from a different country.  Normally I can just click the embedded video in the preview images/clip article on TrekMovie.  Not this time.
-The surprise was that I couldn't watch Empire State Weekly until I got back home.  I can understand entertainment that has copyright implications and may have different distribution deals... but this is locally produced news.  Seriously, Nextar?  Thankfully the weather was dry enough the day of my return that I didn't feel any need to watch a local weather forecast from Albany before driving back.

DTComposer

It's really hit or miss - I think The Producers got it right, as did (in the last 20 years) The Full Monty, Once, The Band's Visit, and Billy Elliot. Several (Waitress, School of Rock) succeed on the strength of performances, not storytelling or score, and several (Goundhog Day, A Christmas Story) shouldn't have been made at all. I'm on the fence about Spamalot.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 10, 2024, 07:23:51 AMMovies based upon Broadway musicals.
QuoteThe Producers is a double whammy:  A movie (2005) based on a Broadway musical (2001) which was based on a movie (1967).

Hairspray is another double-whammy.
The 2005 film version of The Producers was ill-conceived.

1995hoo

I'll let you know this August how the Back to the Future musical is after it comes to the Kennedy Center. We were given tickets. I doubt I'd have bought them myself, but I won't turn them down when someone gives them to me.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

I saw it in London. It was pretty good.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.